WJC: 2014 — Canada Roster Talk (Pt. IV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alerion

Dec 24, 2012
Halifax, NS
-Lazar is the man, I knew very little about him before the tournament but his play has really impressed me. Strong on the puck and creates scoring chances with his speed and strength.

-Mantha is more than just a scorer, great effort on the Petan goal and an all around good game for him.

-Speaking of Petan, it's nice that's finally showed up to play. He's been huge over the last 4-5 periods of hockey and hopefully that will continue.

-Drouin's set up on the Lazar goal was a thing of beauty. After poor PP efforts all day it was damn nice to see that one go in.

-Our D is SO much stronger now that we have 2 reliable pairings. Reinhart is a rock and allows Dumba to be mobile and jump into the rush without risk. Ekblad and Pouliot were solid as always.

-Fucale stepped up as most fans of the Q thought he would. Kid's always been a guy who lives for the big game, the clutch moment, and he really showed that today with some crucial saves.

-Gauthier's taken a lot of **** (from myself included) during this tourney but the kid really shines when we're protecting our lead. We certainly got a glimpse of why Sutter brought him along in the dying minutes when he won 3 straight defensive zone faceoffs to stifle the Americans.

-As always, the Canadian vs American NYE game was a nail-biter. As much as I dislike the Russians, beating the Americans feels a little bit sweeter.

Jesus Christ Horburn

Aug 22, 2008
With every game, more Canadian players step up and finally start to hit their stride.

Today it was G. Reinhart, Gauthier and Fucale's time to shine.

broc

Dec 20, 2010
Gauthier cant skate. He is dead slow on the big ice. What is he doing here? Hence why Lazar is counted on in defensive situations, because he CAN skate and is just a good all round player, he can play in any situation. Gauthier is a waste of space on this team. Shouldnt be here. From what Ive seen neither should Rychel. He has contributed zero.

Bigras was brought instead of Nurse because he played a "simpler" game. What a load. Both he and Pelech have been the biggest high event dmen out there, despite bringing literally nothing on the offensive side of the game.

Dont even get me started on the goaltending............

These problems were all identified BEFORE the team ever got across the Atlantic by joe fans. Why in the world does this kind of incompetence continue year after year? You have a guy with speed like Domi, staying home, while a guy who simply cannot keep up at that level (Gauthier) being brought over and counted on in crucial situations. I did notice today that the fourth line was matched up a lot against Slovakia's top unit. It was a gong show.

Armchair GM for the fail.
They don't pick an all-star team, they pick a team that's designed for ALL situations.

In a 1 goal game, Gauthier won 3 defensive zone faceoffs in a row with less than 1 minute to play in the 3rd period! That is pretty clutch, and THAT is why a guy like Gauthier is here.

If you can't see that even after watching the game (hopefully you watched the game, lol!)... or understand the point of bringing some role players, that's not anyone else's fault. This is a team, not a CHL all-star roster..

Alerion

Dec 24, 2012
Halifax, NS
Armchair GM for the fail.
They don't pick an all-star team, they pick a team that's designed for ALL situations.

In a 1 goal game, Gauthier won 3 defensive zone faceoffs in a row with less than 1 minute to play in the 3rd period! That is pretty clutch, and THAT is why a guy like Gauthier is here.

If you can't see that even after watching the game (hopefully you watched the game, lol!)... or understand the point of bringing some role players, that's not anyone else's fault. This is a team, not a CHL all-star roster..
You really hit the nail on the head there. The USA have talented players but their real strength is that they play together as a team so frequently that they really mesh well together on the ice. This is largely due to how the USA develops players, as they identify the strongest players by 14 or 15 and bring them together several times a year.

The Canadian team is clearly stronger in terms of individual players, but they don't play together as a team as well as the Americans because the CHL method of developing players (while effective for individuals and arguably better for NHL development) doesn't allow for the best of the best to play together nearly as often.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

Rewatched the game after reading all the posts. A few things...

First, as usual, I am disappointed at all the venom directed at Team Canada by many Canadian posters - thru the first 30 minutes. Those same posters, of course, talk about how great we are after we win. Sickening.

Why do the American fans ALWAYS support their team, through thick and thin, but we sell our kids out?!?!

Have a little confidence in your country.

Second, Team Canada was no where near as bad as everyone said in the first. Was it their best period? Of course not but the team was playing scared. They played like a team down a goal (which, based on the standing, they were) who was afraid to go down two.

It's no coincidence that Canada dominated (too strong a word) after the Americans scored and they had no choice but to shake off their fear and play.

Third, the crowd was amazing. God bless those who went to Sweden.

Four, this team would be scary good if/when they learn to play with each other and start making tape to tape passes.

Last, everything has lined up for us to make a long run in this tournament - very pleased with the way the playoffs have shaken out.

Anyway, in summary, support our kids - they're the ones an ocean away during the holidays.

Last edited by a moderator:

BiggestLeafsFanEVER*

after today's win i will be really upset if we don't win gold

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

after today's win i will be really upset if we don't win gold

After today's win I would be really disappointed if we didn't get to the Gold medal game.

With all due respect to Swiss fans, Canada should win. We should also beat the team we have to play in the Semi's - while there are no easy games, Finland/the Czechs are the lesser of the evils.

As for a potential Gold medal opponent:

I like the way we match up against Team USA.
Team Sweden worries me but I think we win a close one.
Team Russia, well, I haven't seen enough of to have an opinion.

MyNameIsNobody*

First, as usual, I am disappointed at all the venom directed at Team Canada by many Canadian posters - thru the first 30 minutes. Those same posters, of course, talk about how great we are after we win. Sickening.

Why do the American fans ALWAYS support their team, through thick and thin, but we sell our kids out?!?!

Second, Team Canada was no where near as bad as everyone said in the first. Was it their best period? Of course not but the team was playing scared. They played like a team down a goal (which, based on the standing, they were) who was afraid to go down two.

It's no coincidence that Canada dominated (too strong a word) after the Americans scored and they had no choice but to shake off their fear and play.

Four, this team would be scary good if/when they learn to play with each other and start making tape to tape passes.

Last, everything has lined up for us to make a long run in this tournament - very pleased with the way the playoffs have shaken out.

Anyway, in summary, support our kids - they're the ones an ocean away during the holidays.

I rewatched the game also....and the game was NOT dominated by the USA...the shots on goal in the first didn't tell the whole story as Canada missed their chances in the first...and YES Fucale did keep the Canadians in the game...as a goalie is expected to do...just like the American Goalie did last year....

The Canadians played a good game and so did the americans....but no way did the Americans outplay the Canadians as some posters portrayed...

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
seriously how did poirier not get picked over leier and rychel?

Small camp backfired imho. Hopefully they have a larger group of players next year and have a longer training camp. 18 forwards, 10 D, 4 goalies - roll 3 forward lines per team for the intersquad games so you get a good long look at each player, having more games. But at the end of the day are the CHL teams more interested in the WJC or the CHL - answer is probably the CHL so less players sent to the WJC squads and less practice time.

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
Small camp backfired imho. Hopefully they have a larger group of players next year and have a longer training camp. 18 forwards, 10 D, 4 goalies - roll 3 forward lines per team for the intersquad games so you get a good long look at each player, having more games. But at the end of the day are the CHL teams more interested in the WJC or the CHL - answer is probably the CHL so less players sent to the WJC squads and less practice time.
To me it looks like the small camp backfired into a first place finish with an ideal playoff route. Like may Canadian posters you just aren't satisfied with a 3-0-1 record with us dominating the one game that we did lose...in a shootout.

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012

I agree ! :handclap:

This team has a lot of potential. Can't wait for the QF game.

I hope that Mantha scores some huge goals in the playoffs. He's been awesome.

Happy New Year ! :cheers::party::party::partytime:

:newyear:

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

Nice post. I wonder how many posters will admit they were completely wrong if Canada wins the Gold?

chunkylover53

Nov 26, 2013
To me it looks like the small camp backfired into a first place finish with an ideal playoff route. Like may Canadian posters you just aren't satisfied with a 3-0-1 record with us dominating the one game that we did lose...in a shootout.

It's not that people aren't satisfied with how well Canada has played, it's just that selection can be perplexing. Poirier wasn't even on their radar.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

I agree ! :handclap:

Happy New Year ! :cheers::party::party::partytime:

:newyear:

You too, THF.

Nice post. I wonder how many posters will admit they were completely wrong if Canada wins the Gold?

Zero. They all come back and say, "I always knew we'd win", "I never lost faith", etc.

I saw one poster, in less than 2 hours, go from talking about how horrible the players and Canadian hockey is to proclaiming, "The better team won".

Too bad the mods don't ban posters for hypocrisy. But, if they did, the number of Canadians would drop by 90%.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
seriously how did poirier not get picked over leier and rychel?

It's interesting to remember how many on here were braying and clamoring for the Canadiens to draft Rychel in the last draft. Rychel's complete lack of skating will always limit his effectiveness. It remains incomprehensible that a coaching staff that includes Sutter could not foresee how ineffective Rychel would be on the big ice surface. It's simply incomprehensible. Let us all hope that Yzerman is not afflicted with the same degree of Myopia in selecting the Canadian Olympic team.

AimForTopCheddar

trust the yzerplan
Feb 7, 2012
Calgary
Very few. Everyone loves to hate on the Canadian kids though.

It is the gold standard, horrible mindset most Canadians have nowadays.

How a serious note, I don't watch much of Slater Koekkoek but this kid was drafted 10th overall in 2012 by the Tampa Lightning ahead of a bunch of really good players, how come he didn't get a invite..? Same as Ceci or did Senators not loan him out? I think these players would be > Dumba,Pelech,Bigras. I've seen Ceci play for the Senators this year, and he can really skate (which seems to be the key here).

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012

I am one of those doubters. I'm just not sold on the 1994 group and I think they made a few bad selections with the 95s. Again this team is 50/50 94s and 95s. If we pull it out, then no one will be happier than me... but that doesn't change the fact Hockey Canada has some serious deficiencies without how it goes about assembling national teams and preparing the players to perform at international tournaments... or do it need to cite the record of Hockey Canada at all international events since our gold in Vancouver?

BTW Happy New Year to all....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad