WJC: 2014 — Canada Roster Talk (Pt. IV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crosbysux

Dec 29, 2013
What's been going on with McDavid? I was excited to finally watch him play, but he looked like the worst Canadian forward. I know he's an underager and that happens from time to time, but he definitely looks out of place so far. If he doesn't turn it up, Eichel might start pushing him for top prospect.

BiggestLeafsFanEVER*

What's been going on with McDavid? I was excited to finally watch him play, but he looked like the worst Canadian forward. I know he's an underager and that happens from time to time, but he definitely looks out of place so far. If he doesn't turn it up, Eichel might start pushing him for top prospect.
I don't think 2015 draft status is going to be decided on the basis of how a 16 and 17 year old play at the 2014 wjc

Last edited by a moderator:

MyNameIsNobody*

I don't think 2015 draft status is going to be decided on the basis of how a 16 and 17 year old play at the 2014 wjc

People dont understand that he is only 16 years old....3 years younger than the oldest player...its like putting a peewee player on a midget team and expecting him to dominate...its wont happen.

Last edited by a moderator:

Crosbysux

Dec 29, 2013
People dont understand that he is only 16 years old....3 years younger than the oldest player...its like putting a peewee player on a midget team and expecting him to dominate...its wont happen.

I definitely understand that. Comparatively though, the Czech kid And Eichel are both in his draft class and have not looked out of place at all. I'm not trying to throw McDavid under the bus, as just about every body has said he's the best player since Crosby. Just wondering if he was in a slump or had an injury before coming to the WJC.

Dexter20

Dec 18, 2013
McDavid took 2 penalties thats why he got sat down. He wasnt awful in the least its just Sutter laying down the law with them taking lazy stick penalties. Get used to Gauthier he isnt going to change the way he plays and he is still going to get his ice. As far as WJG's comments about Anderson being invisible I guess he didnt see Canada's first goal of the tournament pretty big goal to get us going I would say. So far by my count we have scored 11 goals in 2 games, not awful. Our issue will be holding the Swedes, Soviets ( Russians) and Yankees ( Americans ) ( i'm an old school guy ) to 2 to 3 goals per game. If we can do that we have a chance to win the big one. If they run it up on us i dont think we have the firepower and thats fine it is what it is you cant have everything. I think Fucale and Griff might be what we are looking for to steady the back end. I dont think you can underestimate Fucale winning the Mem Cup last year. Thats a big theater and he performed

BobDobolina

Jan 11, 2010
NYC

He'll be fine. It's just impossible to manage expectations in this country.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol

He most definitely does not look like the worst Canadian forward. He was one of Canada's best forwards in the first game, and Sutter was fairly harsh on him yesterday. There isn't a chance Eichel pushes him for top prospect, no matter how much people want 2015 to be a "competitive" year.

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
So, Canada can play without pressure the rest of the tournament, don't they? They have surely done everything to render themselves underdogs. Canada not being a favorite at the WJC is something I didn't expect to see but it's reality now.

JCF

Feb 28, 2013
Toronto, Ontario
So, Canada can play without pressure the rest of the tournament, don't they? They have surely done everything to render themselves underdogs. Canada not being a favorite at the WJC is something I didn't expect to see but it's reality now.

I really don't think we were ever really favourites in the last couple weeks. We have a bunch of underagers, the 94s' are week in talent for Canada, and everyone knew the swedes were getting key players loaned and that they also had a bunch of returnees. Also, they're at home and finished 2nd last year.

JCF

Feb 28, 2013
Toronto, Ontario
Lines I want to see vs. Slovakia:

Hudon-Drouin-Mantha
McDavid-Horvat-Reinhart
Rychel-Petan-Lazar
Gauthier-Laughton-Anderson
Leier

Honestly I think Sutter was way to hard on McDavid yesterday, the hooking call was weak anyways. Also, Leier is a bit of a black hole offensively, especially with Drouin, but is not good enough on D for the shutdown role. Drouin needs good wingers also, and that line was dynamite yesterday and the SSS.

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
I really don't think we were ever really favourites in the last couple weeks. We have a bunch of underagers, the 94s' are week in talent for Canada, and everyone knew the swedes were getting key players loaned and that they also had a bunch of returnees. Also, they're at home and finished 2nd last year.

Fair enough. Anyway, this should be an easy situation for the team.

Dexter20

Dec 18, 2013
JCF i agree with you about Sutter being harsh but i think he is also sending a message to the rest of the team that we need more from these guys. Its hard to second guess Sutter he is a proven winner. I still think he will get the best out of these kids at the end of the day- whether thats enough remains to be seen. The Russians scare the piss out of me they're gonna be tough to beat gonna need a backstop to steal the show there

19Yzerman19

Jul 17, 2004
He most definitely does not look like the worst Canadian forward. He was one of Canada's best forwards in the first game, and Sutter was fairly harsh on him yesterday. There isn't a chance Eichel pushes him for top prospect, no matter how much people want 2015 to be a "competitive" year.

just like all the hype that no one would come close to challangeing Tavares in his yr right?

MyNameIsNobody*

Canada did not ice their best team.

We can speculate all we want, this is the team we took...i think what is hurting us more than anything is not having G Reinhart in the lineup...hopefully this all changes New Years eve, the fact that they put him on the team with 3 game suspension speaks volumes about his experience...

Fucale will start, its been confirmed and these are the practice Lines,

10 Charles Hudon— 27 Jonathan Drouin — 28 Anthony Mantha

17 Connor McDavid/14 Taylor Leier — 11 Bo Horvat — 23 Sam Reinhart

16 Kerby Rychel — 19 Nic Petan — 26 Curtis Lazar

21 Scott Laughton — 22 Frédérik Gauthier — 25 Josh Anderson

Hudon worked his way up...Petan and Leier should NEVER have been on this team....and i hope Petan is cut from next years team...We already starting out on the bad foot for next year if he is not cut

Crosbysux

Dec 29, 2013
just like all the hype that no one would come close to challangeing Tavares in his yr right?

I agree with you. Every year they have a runaway favorite for number 1, but then they're is always dispute come draft day. I.e. McKinnon was consensous number 1 then Drouin made it interesting. There's also some guys that are really hyped then fall to 2nd/3rd round. Again, it was the first game I've seen of McDavid and he is an underager. But watching him yesterday, he looked like he was afraid to handle the puck. It is most likely him trying to adjust to the speed of this level of competition. Conversely, Eichel has displayed the elite skills against older competition and has put up pretty good stats as well. Eichel has a long time to make up ground on McDavid, I wouldn't write him off. I'm looking forward to seeing McDavid again. Who does his game resemble when he's on his game?

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
We can speculate all we want, this is the team we took...i think what is hurting us more than anything is not having G Reinhart in the lineup...hopefully this all changes New Years eve, the fact that they put him on the team with 3 game suspension speaks volumes about his experience...

Fucale will start, its been confirmed and these are the practice Lines,

10 Charles Hudon— 27 Jonathan Drouin — 28 Anthony Mantha

17 Connor McDavid/14 Taylor Leier — 11 Bo Horvat — 23 Sam Reinhart

16 Kerby Rychel — 19 Nic Petan — 26 Curtis Lazar

21 Scott Laughton — 22 Frédérik Gauthier — 25 Josh Anderson

Hudon worked his way up...Petan and Leier should NEVER have been on this team....and i hope Petan is cut from next years team...We already starting out on the bad foot for next year if he is not cut

I do agree Petan should be taken off the Drouin line, as he's looked his worst when put on that line. Too much finesse, not enough size or strength. Would actually like to see Laughton get a shot with Drouin and Mantha. He plays such a wrecking ball style and could open up space and retrieve pucks for those two, plus Laughton is very skilled in his own right. Move Petan down to the 3rd line with Lazar and whoever else to balance that line a bit. I think both moves could do a lot to improve Canada's possession game which is usually it's strength but this year has been quite poor.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I dont know why people keep posting about changing around the Drouin line. Drouin Hudon Mantha is the only line that has consistently brought the offense and looked dangerous out there. Its not like the team is having trouble scoring, the defensive play needs to pick up. Getting Reinhart will really help this team, hes likely the best defensive dman in the tournament

And I'm sure this is beating a dead horse but how idiotic is having McDavid shoot in the shootout? He hadnt touched a puck in over an hour. Petan has done F all in a Canada jersey this year or in the subway series. Mantha and Reinhart should have been the shooters.

Tv9924

Sep 16, 2012
Surrey, BC
I really want to see a checking line of Rychel-Laughton-Lazar, theyre the only forwards on the team who have been consistently hitting.

Hudon-Drouin-Mantha
McDavid-Horvat-Reinhart
Rychel-Laughton-Lazar
Leier-Gauthier-Anderson
Petan

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
I definitely understand that. Comparatively though, the Czech kid And Eichel are both in his draft class and have not looked out of place at all. I'm not trying to throw McDavid under the bus, as just about every body has said he's the best player since Crosby. Just wondering if he was in a slump or had an injury before coming to the WJC.

He has lots of pressure on him. Maybe it was a mistake to put him on the 2nd line to start.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009

He has lots of pressure on him. Maybe it was a mistake to put him on the 2nd line to start.

What are you talking about?

Connor McDavid had a very strong 1st game, and was hardly "struggling" during the second game either. He took two stick infractions which led to him sitting on the bench. Talk about overreacting to an immensely small sample size. Despite these "concerns" he is still producing at a higher clip than Eichel... and Zacha has yet to even record a point in the tournament.

In addition to that he has completely dominated and outclassed both of these players statistically during previous tournaments head to head (and it's not even close). Both Eichel and Zacha have a LONG ways to go in order to unseed McDavid at the top of the 15' draft class. I am not saying it can't be done, but clearly they have not shown enough to to date.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad