Olympics: 2014 — Canada Roster Discussion (Part XIX)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CertainAffinity*

giroux/hall/neal would be better than carter/kunitz IMO.

Did you miss the part where Carter scored a natural hat trick?

Carter was great as soon as he got away from Crosby and onto the Toews line, the same way that Nash was great as soon as he got away from Crosby and onto the Toews line in 2010.

Kunitz probably shouldn't have been selected, but I don't think that's a symptom of incompetence so much of a symptom of Team Canada's misplaced pre-occupation with catering to princess Crosby.

Aceonfire*

Once again Kunitz was gifted something he doesn't deserve because his linemate is Crosby.

He has been invisible.

Hall should have been selected but like always, politics...

CertainAffinity*

Once again Kunitz was gifted something he doesn't deserve because his linemate is Crosby.

He has been invisible.

There are many reasons Taylor Hall was not selected to Team Canada. Politics was not likely one of them.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009

He has been invisible.

Kevin Lowe is on the management team.......... yeah sure Politics, how about he works on his defensive game a bit so he can at least get on the radar.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
So hockey Canada in their infinite wisdom picked Kunitz to play on this team because of his unparalleled and unduplicatable chemistry with Crosby, and lo and behold, it's not working out?

Hmmm. Better put him on the 4th line and bench a guy who actually deserved to be on this team before a ****** injury situation opened up a spot for him.

/facepalm

They have to save face because of a stupid decision. Obviously their egos > icing the best team for Canada.

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
Hoping for a great game (at least from our team :naughty:).

I had Benn with Crosby in my last line-up before the roster announcement in January so I can't wait to see him with Sid. Bergeron was a beast with Crosby at the last tournament on big ice (2006, I know, long time ago, but still...)
Kunitz with Tavares and Nash ? I hope that Kunitz scores a hattie :laugh:

Anyway, I'm not worried at all. It will be a great game and I feel like they will play with the best effort so far and we will see something great out there. :yo:

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Very interesting with his line combos.

The power of the team remains down the middle and each still have their own lines.

See how it plays out i guess.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I can at last understand the line of thinking of keeping Kunitz dressed. It's wrong and I disagree with it, but I can understand it. I do not understand dressing Kunitz, but putting him with Tavares or as the thirteenth forward. It's asinine. Put St. Louis in that spot, he is a far superior player. Benn Tavares Bergeron looked like a very good line and should be kept together, not sacrificed just to try and get something for Crosby.

On the bright side, I do think that Benn Crosby Bergeron can be a great line. Benn has looked very strong and seemingly willing to act as a finisher, while Bergeron has been off the charts in my opinion. Probably Canada's third smartest forward. I'm optimistically calling for at least two points from this line.

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa
Not sure I get the price start here. Lou has done all you could ask. Price will be good no doubt, but this sets up a tough choice going forward. I like Ham drawing in though.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Very interesting with his line combos.

The power of the team remains down the middle and each still have their own lines.

See how it plays out i guess.

Yep, truthfully, I thought, of the two goalies, Luongo had the more difficult of saves to make and had to be far more active than Price and I thought he played well and am a bit surprised by the move but the guys calling the shots have more experience than I do in assessing things.

I could have told ya that THE thing to get Sid jump-started was to play him with Bergeron;):yo:

Unless Kunitz asserts himself, I wonder if Babcock has the crutons to sit his behind upstairs?

Jan 3, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
Why Bergeron with Benn and Crosby over Tavares? Tavares has been our best fwd so far, he's not gonna get the ice team he deserves playing with Kunitz. If Sid doesn't score this game, it's time to say F Sid, stop catering towards him and worry about making this the best team period.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Why Bergeron with Benn and Crosby over Tavares? Tavares has been our best fwd so far, he's not gonna get the ice team he deserves playing with Kunitz. If Sid doesn't score this game, it's time to say F Sid, stop catering towards him and worry about making this the best team period.

Experience and familiarity with Bergeron LT51 in my opinion. That Tavares/Benn/Bergeron line IMO, has shown the most chemistry and I don`t doubt they will be reunited, I think this is about getting Sid going, and with Kunitz doing little, change was needed, and for humor, NOBODY deserves the punishment of playing with Kunitz:)

Thierry

May 30, 2006
Montreal
I'm suprised people talk more about the Crosby line than the decision to start Price against Finland. Pretty bold move as I think Lou has been better.

But that's exciting, let's see how it turns out !

Coach Travis

Back2Back!!!
Jun 29, 2005
Thunder Bay, Ontario
bucketdecals.com
LOL @ all the "catering Crosby" talk. You think he's making these decisions? This is all Babcock pure and simple as it was last time. Crosby setup Iginla for a hattrick so naturally Babcock takes Iggy off his line for the next 3 games. This time Crosby & St. Louis is so clearly a good combo yet he sits St. Louis, put Kunitz on a different line and shuffles all the lines. But any chance to bad mouth Crosby as if Babcock and Yzerman are his puppets. :laugh:

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I can at last understand the line of thinking of keeping Kunitz dressed. It's wrong and I disagree with it, but I can understand it. I do not understand dressing Kunitz, but putting him with Tavares or as the thirteenth forward. It's asinine. Put St. Louis in that spot, he is a far superior player. Benn Tavares Bergeron looked like a very good line and should be kept together, not sacrificed just to try and get something for Crosby.

On the bright side, I do think that Benn Crosby Bergeron can be a great line. Benn has looked very strong and seemingly willing to act as a finisher, while Bergeron has been off the charts in my opinion. Probably Canada's third smartest forward. I'm optimistically calling for at least two points from this line.

I'm curious to see how the special teams play works out. With Kunitz sent to Tavares' Detention line, what's the #1PP now? Will it stay Kunitz-Crosby-Tavares? The 4th line has been used as a holding pen for special teamers so far, there's going to have to be some coordination now that Tavares is the lone center. I guess rather than him and Bergeron rotating ES shifts, that'll happen with the wingers? When Benn and Bergeron come off a PK, what happens to Crosby's line on the next shift? I guess they'll roll the Toews and Getzlaf lines so Benn and Bergeron can get some rest.

Rather than completely shaking up the forward corps and having to reconfigure everything, wouldn't it be easier to just swap Kunitz for Tavares on the top line? Sid and Tavares are together on the PP anyway and then you won't be locked into a strict line schedule. They want to get Sid going, why not pair him with an offensive whiz who thinks the game at a similar level? It's my opinion that Tavares is being underutilized and Crosby hasn't had much luck with his wingers... it's not rocket science. The coaching staff is jumping through hoops when all they have to do is step around it and make a simple decision. Making mountains out of molehills.

FrontierPsyCHiatrist*

I'm suprised people talk more about the Crosby line than the decision to start Price against Finland. Pretty bold move as I think Lou has been better.

But that's exciting, let's see how it turns out !

The decision was already been made before the tournament, how could you juge two superstars goalie when they play Norway and Austria?

Price has earned his no. 1 spot during the regular season.

JamieG

May 25, 2003
Visit site

Carter was great as soon as he got away from Crosby and onto the Toews line, the same way that Nash was great as soon as he got away from Crosby and onto the Toews line in 2010.

Kunitz probably shouldn't have been selected, but I don't think that's a symptom of incompetence so much of a symptom of Team Canada's misplaced pre-occupation with catering to princess Crosby.

Agreed. I knew there would be problems. After the selection of the team was annouced Crosby was asked if he got to chose his linemates, he denied that of course but did admit that Team Canada Execs had "conversations" with him about lines and stuff like that.

I don't like Babcock's obsession with right side/left side D. Subban should be playing. If they lose it's going to be due to not scoring.

PensFanSince1989

Oct 25, 2008

You realize Crosby set up Carter's first goal, right? Carter didn't do much outside of those goals. If he can keep going to the net and finding those rebound/garbage goals, good. but he wasn't great.

Some players seem to do better when they see their role decreased. Hopefully Kunitz will be one of those people.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I'm curious to see how the special teams play works out. With Kunitz sent to Tavares' Detention line, what's the #1PP now? Will it stay Kunitz-Crosby-Tavares? The 4th line has been used as a holding pen for special teamers so far, there's going to have to be some coordination now that Tavares is the lone center. I guess rather than him and Bergeron rotating ES shifts, that'll happen with the wingers? When Benn and Bergeron come off a PK, what happens to Crosby's line on the next shift? I guess they'll roll the Toews and Getzlaf lines so Benn and Bergeron can get some rest.

Rather than completely shaking up the forward corps and having to reconfigure everything, wouldn't it be easier to just swap Kunitz for Tavares on the top line? Sid and Tavares are together on the PP anyway and then you won't be locked into a strict line schedule. They want to get Sid going, why not pair him with an offensive whiz who thinks the game at a similar level? It's my opinion that Tavares is being underutilized and Crosby hasn't had much luck with his wingers... it's not rocket science. The coaching staff is jumping through hoops when all they have to do is step around it and make a simple decision. Making mountains out of molehills.

It seems like Canada is reluctant to move any of the four centres, which is something I agree with. I do not agree with breaking apart a line that has been working just to try to get another working. Tavares has been unsurprisingly good for Canada. His line should be seeing increased minutes, not being sacrificed i order to support another player. You are correct that there are now issues pertaining to the special teams stemming from this. The obvious solution was to leave all of the lines the same, give Tavares' line more ice time and put Sharp Crosby St. Louis as a line, but they've blown that opportunity for this game.

PayItForward

Aug 18, 2012

No he hasn't. For all the complaining about how Crosby hasn't put up points, he actually has more points than Tavares (one), seeing as Tavares has no points. Crosby has created as many scoring chances as Tavares, been on the ice for as many goals for as Tavares, and played with the worst player on the team while doing so (Kunitz) and Tavares playing with players who have played really well (Bergeron in particular). The only thing Tavares has is that he's played less ice time, but then again, he's probably played easier competition when doing so. I don't see the difference between how the two have played.

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
Price was chosen to play all the way before the Norway's and Autria's game.

Can't remember which media guy said it but Luongo's ability to come off the bench may have been a factor. We know he can come in if Price falters today. We don't know if Price can come in should Luongo falter.

wingnutks

Nov 17, 2011
I cant believe JT now has to play with Crosby's trash. The last two people I would like to see JT with is Nash and Kunitz.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad