Olympics: 2014 — Canada Roster Discussion (Part XIX)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lundface*

Can't remember which media guy said it but Luongo's ability to come off the bench may have been a factor. We know he can come in if Price falters today. We don't know if Price can come in should Luongo falter.

That's an idiotic narrative. Team Canada gifted him an opportunity, it's Price's net now.... if he falters (wont be against an injured Finland) Canada is going home. The coaches are using who they like not thinking about if that goalie fails.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Today's result and how it would most likely affect Canada's path to gold (assuming the game isn't a complete blowout):

Canada regulation win (Slovenia/Austria, then Finland/Russia, then USA/Sweden)
Canada OT win (Switzerland, then USA, then Sweden/Russia/Finland)
Finland in Regulation (Russia, then Finland, then Sweden/USA)
Finland in OT (Russia, then Sweden, then USA/Finland)

I'm OK with both regulation outcomes, although obviously it's much better to win in regulation. If it gets to OT, it starts getting tricky regardless. If Finland wins in OT... Oh boy.

trexall*

SupermanDamned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceonfire View Post
Once again Kunitz was gifted something he doesn't deserve because his linemate is Crosby.

He has been invisible.

Hall should have been selected but like always, politics...
There are many reasons Taylor Hall was not selected to Team Canada. Politics was not likely one of them.

Your Hate for Hall is evident. You must be living under a cave if you think Duchene brings everything Hall does except Better ? lol . Hall's defensive game isnt as bad as its made out to be. Did you forget about Duchene's Plus minus last year in comparisons to Hall +5 on the 6th worst team in hockey ?? Taylor Hall was better in every aspect then Duchene, and now that Eakins wacky system has taken Hall off his game a bit hes a terrible defensive player ? You need to go watch some hockey. Duchene has nothing on Hall. :help:

Hamhuis has been a giveaway machine for the Nucks this year. Why the ******* is he on this team getting icetime over Subban ? bad decisions all around for team Canada. Hope they win Gold but if they don't expect pitchforks.

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
That's an idiotic narrative. Team Canada gifted him an opportunity, it's Price's net now.... if he falters (wont be against an injured Finland) Canada is going home. The coaches are using who they like not thinking about if that goalie fails.

"Then there's another somewhat strange factor at play here in which Luongo's experience in these events may actually hurt him. Luongo was not initially the No. 1 guy in Vancouver four years ago, but he came off the bench and led Canada to gold. Babcock knows Luongo can handle that situation from a mental standpoint, yet he doesn't know that when it comes to Price.

That inexperience, ironically, might actually benefit Price in this situation.

Whichever way Babcock chooses to go, he doesn't see the Finland game as the final determining game for what happens in the medal round."

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=705101

realgoodleafs

Oct 29, 2006
SW Ontario
I can't believe they split up Benn-Tavares-Bergeron...

Well I heard the rules don't allow us to add Pascal Dupuis to the roster at this time. Letang either. I mean when Kunitz had 3 people ready for a pass and sent it to empty ice with no pressure, that isn't him sucking..it's just that he didn't have chemistry with those 3 players. If Letang was playing he'd be in that spot.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
The announced lines:

Benn - Crosby - Bergeron
Kunitz - Tavares - Nash/Sharp
Duchene - Getzlaf - Perry
Marleau - Toews - Carter

Keith - Weber
Vlasic - Doughty
Bouwmeester - Pietrangelo
Hamhius

Price
Luongo

these lines are a big improvement. if they just switched bergeron and tavares, i'd be a happy man.

also, i'd rather run with Luongo than Price.

drewstar

Jan 1, 2010
6ix
I'm curious to see how the special teams play works out. With Kunitz sent to Tavares' Detention line, what's the #1PP now? Will it stay Kunitz-Crosby-Tavares? The 4th line has been used as a holding pen for special teamers so far, there's going to have to be some coordination now that Tavares is the lone center. I guess rather than him and Bergeron rotating ES shifts, that'll happen with the wingers? When Benn and Bergeron come off a PK, what happens to Crosby's line on the next shift? I guess they'll roll the Toews and Getzlaf lines so Benn and Bergeron can get some rest.

Rather than completely shaking up the forward corps and having to reconfigure everything, wouldn't it be easier to just swap Kunitz for Tavares on the top line? Sid and Tavares are together on the PP anyway and then you won't be locked into a strict line schedule. They want to get Sid going, why not pair him with an offensive whiz who thinks the game at a similar level? It's my opinion that Tavares is being underutilized and Crosby hasn't had much luck with his wingers... it's not rocket science. The coaching staff is jumping through hoops when all they have to do is step around it and make a simple decision. Making mountains out of molehills.

The first PP unit will be:
Tavares - Crosby - Carter
Weber - Doughty

In hindsight, I honestly think Babcock stresses too much 'trust' and as a result, we're still struggling to find Crosby wingers when we could've brought over another speedster besides Duchene in Taylor Hall.

Even if Hall is as bad defensively as some say, with the blueliners that we have his so called weakness would have been negated to a large degree while his speed would probably give Crosby more to work with than Kunitz, who doesnt possess a single skillset that would be showcased on the big ice (it looks more and more as though the small ice did more wonders for Kunitz than Crosby himself).

Giroux obviously wouldn't have been bad but with Crosby he needs natural finishers and speed on his wings, something that Hall/Stamkos would have brought but in 2010 and now, we've tried Iginla/Nash/Carter/MSL/Kunitz without enough success for the best player in the world.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Im beginning to get disgusted with this team's management. Im honestly more frustrated than 2006 where the genius brain trust wanted doan draper and regher.

They are going to force Kunitz down our throat at the expense of St Louis? Let me get this straight hes there for the sole reason of chemistry with Crosby and now when hes not on Crosby's line hes still on the team at the expense of St Louis a Stanley cup winning Art Ross winner?

Admit your mistake sit Kunitz if your crosby experiment isnt working.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
TSN says the PP units will be as follows:

PP1: Tavares Crosby Carter

PP2: Kunitz Getzlaf Perry

This is absolute insanity. Kunitz is brought for chemistry with Crosby, predictably it fails. They don't scratch him, and instead just put him on the powerplay without Crosby. I never actually believed that the management/coaches thought that Kunitz deserved to make the team on his own, but it is actually looking like that. In which case I have given them FAR too much credit over the years.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Robitaille and Nichols couldnt make national teams despite playing with Gretzky yet Kunitz can....

Guys like robitaille are similar to Hossa in that he has actual talent as well. Does anyone honestly think Kunitz is naturally talented?

86Habs

May 4, 2009
I'm really interested in seeing how Benn and Bergeron work out on Crosby's wings. Benn is not someone who I originally thought had a skillset that would mesh well with Crosby's style of play, but he's impressed me very much so far and, with Bergeron being at the top of his game right now, I am hopeful that this line is productive today and puts a final nail in the coffin of the Kunitz/Crosby chemistry experiment. I am good with the Getzlaf and Toews lines as well, but would like to see much more out of Perry today. With respect to Tavares, my hope is that Sharp performs well today and becomes entrenched as the LW on that line, Nash does what he does, and St Louis jumps back into the lineup in the QF and the lineup becomes:

Benn - Crosby - Bergeron
Marleau - Toews - Carter
Duchene - Getzlaf - Perry
Sharp - Tavares - Nash/St Louis

Its quite laughable that Kunitz is still dressed while MSL is up in the press box and the Crosby line is still in flux. I'm hoping that Babcock sees this as Kunitz's last chance, so to speak, and that they are comfortable enough with what MSL can bring to the table that they don't need to see him in action on this particular day. However, there is probably some credibility to the notion that Hockey Canada is reluctant to pull the plug on Kunitz and want to save some face by keeping him in the lineup as a spare part / role player.

DadBod

Sep 1, 2009
Coquitlam
If Kunitz pulls another doughnut this game, there's no chances left, he MUST sit and have St. Louis back in. I also sure wish we had a quick, offensive, Norris Dman playing for us on this big ice :help:

What the hell is going on with management

86Habs

May 4, 2009
TSN says the PP units will be as follows:

PP1: Tavares Crosby Carter

PP2: Kunitz Getzlaf Perry

This is absolute insanity. Kunitz is brought for chemistry with Crosby, predictably it fails. They don't scratch him, and instead just put him on the powerplay without Crosby. I never actually believed that the management/coaches thought that Kunitz deserved to make the team on his own, but it is actually looking like that. In which case I have given them FAR too much credit over the years.

18 months of preparation and scouting by some of the most supposedly brilliant minds in hockey and this is what they come up. OK.

World English Dictionary
overthink (ˌəʊvəˈθɪŋk)

— vb , -thinks , -thinking , -thought
to spend more time thinking about something than is necessary or productive

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Agreed with the Price decision.

Hall should be on the roster.

Subban and MSL should be in the lineup over Hamhuis and Kunitz.

JustAHabFan

Apr 8, 2008
If Kunitz pulls another doughnut this game, there's no chances left, he MUST sit and have St. Louis back in. I also sure wish we had a quick, offensive, Norris Dman playing for us on this big ice :help:

What the hell is going on with management

You tell me. The selection of Kunitz and then continue to play him when sucked ### upset me to no end.:help:

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Claude Giroux, a gamebreaking superstar with grit, is sitting at home. Why didn't I email Steve about this before it was too late??

MeticulouslyDishevel

Oct 23, 2012
How in hell is Kunitz playing and St. Louis sitting? This is mind blowing

Kunitz should be sitting. I'm hoping that he's on probation for this game, and if he doesn't play better then he sits. I think there's some ego involved for Hockey Canada, because they justified his inclusion by saying that he was good enough to make the team on his own merit when everyone knew that he wasn't. Kunitz is making his way to the press box, but in 2 steps instead of 1 (I hope).

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
What the hell is Kunitz even doing at the Olympics if he isn't on a line with Crosby?

Giroux or Hall (or even Thornton) would be much better choices. Not to mention Kunitz was originally taken over MSL

CertainAffinity*

Ok, it's time for this pandering to Crosby to stop.

Team Canada tore apart a great line to give Crosby better line-mates, and he was still pretty invisible 5on5.

1) Sit is buddy Kunitz.

2) Put the Benn - Tavares - Bergeron line back together.

3) Give Crosby whoever's left. Nash and Sharp, or MSL or whoever. It's time to challenge HIM to elevate others, rather than trying everything in our power to make him look good.

SnapIt

Feb 19, 2013
Before watching the games, I wasn't sure how big the ice would be/how it would impact the play.

Now, it's apparent that it has a significant influence. With that in mind, some more speedy selections would have helped.

Kunitz for Hall?
Carter for Giroux?

Management and coaches seem determined to keep the grinding style from 2010.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino