Olympics: 2014 — Canada Roster Discussion (Part XIX)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 22, 2010
Mother Base
Part XVIII

Goalies

Player|NHL Team
Carey Price|Montreal Canadiens
Roberto Luongo|Vancouver Canucks
Mike Smith|Phoenix Coyotes

Forwards
Player|NHL Team
Sidney Crosby|Pittsburgh Penguins
John Tavares|New York Islanders
Jonathan Toews|Chicago Blackhawks
Ryan Getzlaf|Anaheim Ducks
Corey Perry|Anaheim Ducks
Rick Nash|New York Rangers
Patrick Sharp|Chicago Blackhawks
Jamie Benn|Dallas Stars
Matt Duchene|Colorado Avalanche
Patrice Bergeron|Boston Bruins
Jeff Carter|LA Kings
Chris Kunitz|Pittsburgh Penguins
Patrick Marleau|San Jose Sharks
Steven Stamkos*|Tampa Bay Lightning
Martin St. Louis*|Tampa Bay Lightning

*Stamkos is unable to participate due to injury. St. Louis was named as his replacement on Feb 6th, 2014

Defense

Player|NHL Team
Duncan Keith|Chicago Blackhawks
Alex Pietrangelo|St.Louis Blues
Shea Weber|Nashville Predators
Jay Bouwmeester|St.Louis Blues
P.K. Subban|Montreal Canadiens
Marc-Édouard|Vlasic San Jose Sharks
Dan Hamhuis|Vancouver Canucks

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
It will be interesting to see what happens if both St. Louis and Duchene perform well in the first two games. I think Babcock would be more than willing to shake things up.

Darkstorm

I Am Awesome
Jul 30, 2012
Montreal
I don't understand why Kunitz, Marleau and Carter are on this team, while Giroux, Neal are sitting at home. The first line in this first game is nonsense: Kunitz - Crosby - Carter, really???? While Tavares is on the 4th line. time for Babcock to make good calls and good line changes. It's not with Kunitz and Carter on the first line that we are going to win GOLD. I am sorry but I see them winning either Silver or Bronze.

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
Finally, Go Canada ! :) :) :) :) :) :)

After Sweden amazing first half of the game, great American second period..... I'm really looking forward to watch our team, because we could be theoretically a level up.

DyerMaker66*

Finally, Go Canada ! :) :) :) :) :) :)

Nothing wrong with that. I'm in the same boat. DM66 on the other hand believes Luongo will hurt rather than help Canada, and the evidence suggests otherwise.

He hurt is team in the SCF and he hurt his team in the Gold medal game, so how does the evidence suggest otherwise?

PensBandwagonerNo272*

Forgot About Sid
Sep 10, 2012
I don't understand why Kunitz, Marleau and Carter are on this team, while Giroux, Neal are sitting at home. The first line in this first game is nonsense: Kunitz - Crosby - Carter, really???? While Tavares is on the 4th line. time for Babcock to make good calls and good line changes. It's not with Kunitz and Carter on the first line that we are going to win GOLD. I am sorry but I see them winning either Silver or Bronze.

I can't wait until we win Gold so we never have to hear these complaints ever again :help:

PensBandwagonerNo272*

Forgot About Sid
Sep 10, 2012
As a Pens fan don't you agree that Neal is the better player on that team?

Better than Marleau? No. Better than Carter? Probably not? Better than Kunitz? Similar, but different types of players.

Yes, a big reason why Kunitz is on the team is because of chemistry. But he's apparently underrated on here because he is a hell of a player, and one of the top LW's in the league.

Why isn't everyone freaking out that Sharp made the team to play with Toews? Bouwmeester and Pietrangelo together?

It's not just about picking the flashiest, fastest playmakers. It's about building a team that can come together quickly and win a fast tournament. Plus, Hockey Canada leans towards two-way players ahead of pure offense, and rightfully so.

DyerMaker66*

Better than Marleau? No. Better than Carter? Probably not? Better than Kunitz? Similar, but different types of players.

Yes, a big reason why Kunitz is on the team is because of chemistry. But he's apparently underrated on here because he is a hell of a player, and one of the top LW's in the league.

I agree with everything except your comparison with Neal: I think Neal smokes him out of the water.

Why isn't everyone freaking out that Sharp made the team to play with Toews? Bouwmeester and Pietrangelo together?

I agree, though I was one of the people voting against taking Sharp and Bouwmeester.

It's not just about picking the flashiest, fastest playmakers. It's about building a team that can come together quickly and win a fast tournament. Plus, Hockey Canada leans towards two-way players ahead of pure offense, and rightfully so.
I hate this line of thinking: You want to take Toews and Bergeron, the best two-way players in the world? Sure. You want to take Kris Draper and Rick Nash over St. Louis and Crosby? Now we have a problem.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Carter looks terrible, Kunitz struggles to take a pass. Meanwhile Duchene isn't dressed Tavares, Benn and St. Louis are on the 4th line. The two worst players on the team play with the best one how does that add up.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Kunitz has been one of the best players this game. Give it up.

If you have pens coloured glasses on sure, he shouldn't be on the team Crosby has chemistry with much better players Bergeron, Perry for example. Do you think John Tavares is hard to play with? The irony of the whole thing is the line with no 'pairs' and 4 players on it had the most chemistry.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
Man Giroux and James Neal should have really made this team over Nash and Carter.

James Neal right now is close to what nash was in 2010

Classicnamesup

MVP Backhand Slapper
Sep 13, 2013
Guru Meditation
I would sit Carter next game. Even Kunitz was better. Marleau was not impressive. Duchene should be in, MSL and Tavares should play more.

Really not that impressed all around. Doughty looked great, Benn was good, Crosby was good, Weber was good. Keith, etc.

Mar 31, 2005
East Coast
Crosby is being wasted on the 1st line. Carter and Kunitz do nothing for me.

I think Jamie Benn is primed for a big tournament, if he can keep his head up and gets more ice-time.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Crosby NHL = Kunitz, Dupuis/Gibbons/Adams/Glass
Crosby 2010 = Iginla, Nash
Crosby 2013 = Kunitz Carter

Crosby consistently gets the worst linemates of all the Top players in NHL. The loss of Stamkos is huge and we saw why today. Carter over Neal and Nash over Giroux look mind blowing now

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
All four 4th line guys were the best forwards on the ice, whereas Crosby's wingers were the worst. the two middle lines started off slow, but looked to get going later on, so I'd keep them together. If I'm Babcock, this is what I'm doing vs. Austria:

Duchene-Crosby-St. Louis
Marleau-Getzlaf-Perry
Sharp-Toews-Nash
Benn-Tavares-Bergeron
Carter
Kunitz

D was great (all of the RD in particular, but it was a solid effort overall).

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Wow lots of hate out her for Carter. He was great on the boards, and created some chances. Last Olympics players rotated through Crosby's wing because he is not the easiest player to play with. This is also why Kunitz is on the team.
Look up Canadian goal scorers since the start of last season...that is why Carter is on the team.

JayKing

Go Habs Go
Dec 30, 2011
Montreal
Ryan Rishaug ‏@TSNRyanRishaug 2m
St. Louis doesn’t know if he’s playing tomorrow.

Hopefully Carter sits.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Nobody on the back end played poor, a few guys stood out (Doughty,hamhuis,weber,vlasic), Jay-bo the worst out of the d-men (still not bad tho), Piet was average.

Dontdive

Aug 25, 2012
British Columbia
Debate: Let Carey Price keep going?

I'm a Canucks and Roberto Luongo fan. But, Carey Price played well in the game against Norway, only letting in one goal.

The conventional wisdom is to give Luongo the next game and then decide who is in net after that.

But conventional wisdom also says to go with the hot hand, and to generally pick one goalie as your #1 and stick with him.

So let's debate this - what about simply sticking with Price unless/until he actually falters? His teammates are probably pretty comfortable playing in front of him and may want this....

samsquanch9*

well id like him to play all the games but i have no problem with luongo playing either

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille