Olympics: 2014 — Canada Roster Discussion (Part XIX)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anonymouse

M.A.C.
Apr 10, 2012
Stockholm
1. Patrick Marleau (LW) Canada 2 0 4 4 2.00 0 4
2. Jeff Carter (RW) Canada 2 3 0 3 1.50 2 5
3. Shea Weber (D) Canada 2 2 1 3 1.50 0 3
4. Drew Doughty (D) Canada 2 2 1 3 1.50 0 3
5. Ryan Getzlaf (C) Canada 2 1 2 3 1.50 2 3
6. Paul Stastny (C) USA 2 2 0 2 1.00 0 2
7. Andrei Markov (D) Russia 2 0 2 2 1.00 0 1
8. Brian Lebler (RW) Austria 2 0 2 2 1.00 2 0
9. Patrice Bergeron (C/RW) Canada 2 0 2 2 1.00 4 2
10. Alexander Steen (LW) Sweden 3 0 2 2 0.67 2 2

There are three foreign players in the Canadian top 10!
http://www.eliteprospects.com/league.php?leagueid=OG&season=2013&sort=nation&nation=3&name=Canada

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
How would people feel about this tournament progression?

Game 1 - Norway
Game 2 - Austria
Game 3 - Finland (minus its top 4 centers)
Quarterfinal - Slovenia/Norway/Austria
Semifinal - Russia
Final - USA/Sweden

Because that's the most likely route if they beat Finland tomorrow.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
How would people feel about this tournament progression?

Game 1 - Norway
Game 2 - Austria
Game 3 - Finland (minus its top 4 centers)
Quarterfinal - Slovenia/Norway/Austria
Semifinal - Russia
Final - USA/Sweden

Because that's the most likely route if they beat Finland tomorrow.

I don't like it.

No offense to Norway, Austria, Injured Finland and the QF match ups but they pose little to no challenge for Canada. Zero adversity.

They will be put into a pressure situation against Russia without having played a single hard game. This can be good if they don't face adversity at all and win gold but it's unlikely that Canada will win Gold without breaking a sweat..

No tough games till elimination is bad for Canada but I hope they handle it well because they have a lot of playoff experience.

wmarcello

Feb 14, 2014
NB
It sounds like PK sitting is still speculation, but there should be zero reason for him to sit. Like him or not, he has game-breaking talent that very few others in the NHL possess. Worst case you dress him as a 7th D-man and rotate a balanced top 6 until you reach a point where your team is being stifled or you need a goal. Even better, have Subban and Pietrangelo split 3rd pairing minutes. Alex has been good, but he hasn't been nearly good enough to be considered irreplaceable.

MardocAgain

Apr 10, 2012
Posted this on the game thread, but wanted to add here:

I really think they should try Marleau on Crosby's line. When Crosby plays like a distributor he's not unlike Thornton whom Marleau is used to playing with, but Marleau also likes to go to the net for deflections, rebounds, and easy tap ins. Also adds speed and 2-way presence which I wouldn't say that line lacks currently, but less so than the other 3 lines.

Thoughts?

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
-Duchene and Crosby have trained together for the last few years in the off season.
-Know each other very well
-Was said that Crosby and Duchene had the best chemistry together in training camp

Duchene gets like one shift with Crosby in the whole game and it was decent. Is there something going on off the ice between them? It makes no sense to me why they don't play together, Babcocks decisions just don't make sense

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
-Duchene and Crosby have trained together for the last few years in the off season.
-Know each other very well
-Was said that Crosby and Duchene had the best chemistry together in training camp

Duchene gets like one shift with Crosby in the whole game and it was decent. Is there something going on off the ice between them? It makes no sense to me why they don't play together, Babcocks decisions just don't make sense

Because Duchene looked very good with Getzlaf and Perry. Why break up one line with chemistry (and possibly more) in an attempt to create another productive line? It doesn't help the team improve, which is the ultimate goal.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Because Duchene looked very good with Getzlaf and Perry. Why break up one line with chemistry (and possibly more) in an attempt to create another productive line? It doesn't help the team improve, which is the ultimate goal.

Then why are people saying Duchene is sitting out?

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Man that piece they put on on NHL.com regarding Canada's line-up for tomorrow... And their reasoning behind sitting Subban. Dear god. :facepalm:

One of the many factors Babcock said Saturday goes into his decision on the lineup is “how we get the best people on the ice.” If Babcock absolutely wants to maintain the righty-lefty balance, and there’s no reason to believe he won’t, Hamhuis allows him to do that.

Subban doesn’t.

Another factor Babcock mentioned was how the player integrates on special teams. In the game Friday, Babcock scratched Patrick Sharp -- a forward who plays the point on the power play -- to make room for Subban to play there next to Duncan Keith. Again, that is taking a valuable forward out of the lineup for Subban.

100% sure this guy has a thing against the Habs or Subban personally. Seriously, having one of the best PP player around "forcing" Babcock to scratch Patrick friggin' Sharp from playing the point is a bad thing?

Last edited:

ak90210

Sep 18, 2011
Man that piece they put on on NHL.com regarding Canada's line-up for tomorrow... And their reasoning behind sitting Subban. Dear god. :facepalm:

100% sure this guy has a thing against the Habs or Subban personally. Seriously, having one of the best PP player around "forcing" Babcock to scratch Patrick friggin' Sharp form playing the point is a bad thing?

The first part was stupid but at least made sense, the second part was nonsensical.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
I don't like it.

No offense to Norway, Austria, Injured Finland and the QF match ups but they pose little to no challenge for Canada. Zero adversity.

They will be put into a pressure situation against Russia without having played a single hard game. This can be good if they don't face adversity at all and win gold but it's unlikely that Canada will win Gold without breaking a sweat..

No tough games till elimination is bad for Canada but I hope they handle it well because they have a lot of playoff experience.

Couldnt agree more. Russian got such a blessing in losing a round robin to the US under bad circumstances. Will make them harder.

fsdev905

Dec 22, 2006
Toronto
If you needed a goalie for Latvia I'd pick Price. He has the better chance of standing on his head. If I had to pick Canada's goalie I'd go with Luongo. Less gamebreaking ability now, but he is less prone to back breakers.

Even as a die hard Habs fan, I agree with this.
I think this is a very accurate statement.

fsdev905

Dec 22, 2006
Toronto
Doughty played damn well on the left side.
Vlassic and Boumeester were both on the ice during the PK.

There's absolutely no other reason other than politics and/or preconceived misconceptions to have PK on the bench ahead of Hamhuis, Vlassic, Bouwmeester, Pietrangelo.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Doughty played damn well on the left side.
Vlassic and Boumeester were both on the ice during the PK.

There's absolutely no other reason other than politics and/or preconceived misconceptions to have PK on the bench ahead of Hamhuis, Vlassic, Bouwmeester, Pietrangelo.

Heres a hypothetical....Canada is down 2 -1 with 8 minutes in the 3rd period. Would you rather have Subban that 7th dman or Vlaissic/Hamhuis?

Whos got the best chance of sparking the offense? He should still be dressed and not sat. Vlassic and Hamhuis bring the same skillset to the table.

Steazy Doo

Jan 31, 2013
If Kunitz HAS to play, then it seems to me Duchene is the most logical choice to sit.

Wouldn't mind Perry sitting either, tbh.

fsdev905

Dec 22, 2006
Toronto
Heres a hypothetical....Canada is down 2 -1 with 8 minutes in the 3rd period. Would you rather have Subban that 7th dman or Vlaissic/Hamhuis?

Whos got the best chance of sparking the offense? He should still be dressed and not sat. Vlassic and Hamhuis bring the same skillset to the table.

Only Doughty and Subban can create offense from the backend on their own.
The other 6 defensemen require someone else to setup the play.

As great as Keith is, he's no Doughty or Subban.

Bouweester is a great skater, but he's not an offensive juggernaut like Subban or Doughty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia