Olympics: 2014 — Canada Roster Discussion (Part XIX)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FloydTheBarber

Aug 10, 2006
Heres a hypothetical....Canada is down 2 -1 with 8 minutes in the 3rd period. Would you rather have Subban that 7th dman or Vlaissic/Hamhuis?

Whos got the best chance of sparking the offense? He should still be dressed and not sat. Vlassic and Hamhuis bring the same skillset to the table.

I would just use Doughty, Keith, Weber exclusively. In that situation what makes you think he would balance his lines to have Vlasic and Hamhuis out there?

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
I would just use Doughty, Keith, Weber exclusively. In that situation what makes you think he would balance his lines to have Vlasic and Hamhuis out there?

Wouldn't be nice to use Doughty, Keith, Weber and Subban exclusively in that situation?

Looking at the road Canada's going to take here, barring a Finnish uprising, I'm guessing they're going to be going into the semi final relatively untested. It is very possible that they will need offense late in that game. Subban will be useless sitting in the stands. So will JBo, Vlasic. Pie and Hamhuis for that matter.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I don't see how Canada doesn't win gold no matter the lineup, that D is just too strong.

I would like to see Subban get a chance to shine though, he makes the team so much more fun to watch. All the robot players are boring.

drewstar

Jan 1, 2010
6ix
Wouldn't be nice to use Doughty, Keith, Weber and Subban exclusively in that situation?

Looking at the road Canada's going to take here, barring a Finnish uprising, I'm guessing they're going to be going into the semi final relatively untested. It is very possible that they will need offense late in that game. Subban will be useless sitting in the stands. So will JBo, Vlasic. Pie and Hamhuis for that matter.

i agree that it will be a mistake to leave a game breaker in subban in the press box when we might need him down the road.

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
i agree that it will be a mistake to leave a game breaker in subban in the press box when we might need him down the road.

I watch Sweden play and Karlsson is the straw that stirs the drink for that team. Now they don't have the same depth as Canada, but in my head he and Subban are comparable players. I can't fathom how all things being equal, a guy like Karlsson would be sitting in the stands for Sweden.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I think it's nuts that there's even a discussion that Duchene might be sat. He was one of the real bright spots for Canada. His speed was a catalyst for that Perry/Getzlaf line to start looking dangerous.

Even as a Pens fan, I acknowledge Kunitz has been bad. He should be sat. But, I don't know if he will. It would almost be Team Canada admitting they were wrong to bring him along, and I think they're going to give him a lot more chances to prove he belongs.

My guess is Jamie Benn, for no other reason than he seems to play one of the least amount of minutes for Canada so far. So the coaching staff might feel substituting Sharp for Benn won't affect the top three lines at all, and won't really disrupt the fourth line.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
I watch Sweden play and Karlsson is the straw that stirs the drink for that team. Now they don't have the same depth as Canada, but in my head he and Subban are comparable players. I can't fathom how all things being equal, a guy like Karlsson would be sitting in the stands for Sweden.

Subban isn't quite adept at being a "4th forward" like Karlsson is. The rushes he leads usually die on his stick. :laugh: But he provides a great outlet pass, great shot, and being rather "solid" at getting the puck out of his zone.

drewstar

Jan 1, 2010
6ix
I think it's nuts that there's even a discussion that Duchene might be sat. He was one of the real bright spots for Canada. His speed was a catalyst for that Perry/Getzlaf line to start looking dangerous.

Even as a Pens fan, I acknowledge Kunitz has been bad. He should be sat. But, I don't know if he will. It would almost be Team Canada admitting they were wrong to bring him along, and I think they're going to give him a lot more chances to prove he belongs.

My guess is Jamie Benn, for no other reason than he seems to play one of the least amount of minutes for Canada so far. So the coaching staff might feel substituting Sharp for Benn won't affect the top three lines at all, and won't really disrupt the fourth line.

Strongly agree that Duchene has been a difference maker as expected, and this is in likelihood Kunitz's last chance to prove he belongs, especially as the LW on Crosby's line.

I really wish we took Hall instead of Kunitz, would've been crazy imagining a... Hall - Crosby - Stamkos combination...oh well we might get to see that in the next best vs best tournament.

KPower

Jan 17, 2012
I have no idea who sits out tomorrow but I hope it's not Duchene.

I supported Kunitz making the team and thought he played ok against Norway but was bad in the Austria game.

I voted for him to sit out but I wouldn't be upset if he got one last chance.

If he plays tomorrow he needs to be great or he should sit for the rest of the tourney.

It's such a tough decision because I think everyone else has played well.

rasarhdasd

Apr 12, 2013
I don't agree with St Louis sitting but they won't sit Kunitz this early without looking bad.

drewstar

Jan 1, 2010
6ix
The announced lines:

Benn - Crosby - Bergeron
Kunitz - Tavares - Nash/Sharp
Duchene - Getzlaf - Perry
Marleau - Toews - Carter

Keith - Weber
Vlasic - Doughty
Bouwmeester - Pietrangelo
Hamhius

Price
Luongo

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Only took a couple games for that whole chemistry shtick to go out the window... too bad for some of the guys who got left at home over it.

CertainAffinity*

The announced lines:

Benn - Crosby - Bergeron

Marleau - Toews - Carter

Keith - Weber
Vlasic - Doughty
Hamhius

Price
Luongo

Oh for the love of....

These two lines are going to be a dumpster fire. They tried Bergeron with Crosby in 2010 and approximately zero happened. These nostalgic hard-ons people have for the WC lineups from 10 years ago are ridiculous.

Yes, let's tear apart a line (Benn - Tavares - Bergeron) that had immediate chemistry in efforts of trying to get princess Crosby going. For ****s sake.

At least Toews and Getzlaf/Perry have plenty of practice carrying a team after they did so in 2010.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
The announced lines:

Benn - Crosby - Bergeron
Marleau - Toews - Carter

Keith - Weber
Vlasic - Doughty
Hamhius

Price
Luongo

Not too shabby. crosby/bergeron has played before.

Groucho

Tier 1 Fan
Aug 17, 2010
Displaced
So hockey Canada in their infinite wisdom picked Kunitz to play on this team because of his unparalleled and unduplicatable chemistry with Crosby, and lo and behold, it's not working out?

Hmmm. Better put him on the 4th line and bench a guy who actually deserved to be on this team before a ****** injury situation opened up a spot for him.

/facepalm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad