Olympics: 2014 — Canada Roster Discussion (Part XII - Announcement Jan 7th, 12PM EST, TSN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SidGenoMario

Apr 10, 2009
Saskatoon, SK
I think Kunitz just made the team.

Also, I echo fly4apuckguy's thoughts. I have an unhealthy level of excitement for next Tuesday. I'm taking my lunch at 10:00 in the morning and closing my office door.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
yeah hall supporters like to bring up the one article that say he should be on the team, while neglecting the other 20 that say he isn't even in the running and shouldn't be on the team

But you're missing the point, whether or not he is actually in the running has no influence on the argument of SHOULD he be in the running.

You see the article uses statistical facts and data. Those things have no bias, they have no prejudice, they don't care what jersey a player wears, where he's from, it doesn't care whether people like him as a person or dislike him as a person. The data suggests that the things people hold against him aren't actually true, his team is better off with him on the ice than with him off the ice.

So if you truly don't want him on the team because you think he's not good enough, maybe you should start considering what you're basing your decisions on.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Seabrook is like top 5 in defenseman points now isn't he? And a hell of a shut down guy as well. Should absolutely make. Why wouldn't you brig he best pairing in the league to the okympics

Because if they want to take 4 lefties and 4 righties as seems to be the case, there's better players on the right side.

huntison

Aug 12, 2008
Seabrook is like top 5 in defenseman points now isn't he? And a hell of a shut down guy as well. Should absolutely make. Why wouldn't you brig he best pairing in the league to the okympics

We brought him last time to vancouver thinking the same thing.
Seabrook ended up playing the least amount of minutes and didn't play with Keith.

Plus this is a bigger rink. We need faster Dmen than him.

skroonk2002*

Watching that documentary on CBC, I am guessing that the roster was basically set during their mid-December meeting in California.

So I don't think any of what Sharp has done over the past 3 weeks or so has had any influence.

CertainAffinity*

His points are masking the fact that he has been an inconsistent gong-show on more nights than not this year.

In 2010, Keith proved he didn't need Seabrook beside him to excel. The chemistry experiment failed, because Keith was playing top-line minutes, while Seabrook was stapled to the bench as the bottom Dman by the end of the series.

Seabook, independent of Keith, is not a better right-side Dman than Weber. Or Doughty. Or Pietrangelo. Or Subban. Or even Boyle, depending on who you ask.

Team Canada was burned by Seabrook once. The chances of them putting their hand on that stove again is minimal.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
I'll be happy as long as Eric Staal and Rick Nash are not on the team. I'd be fine with Kunitz on there even though I wouldn't take him personally and I'd be fine with Giroux as well. Also hopefully they put in a decent number of young guys like Seguin/Duchene/Couture (especially the ones who can PK like Duchene or Couture)...they won't all make it but as long as some get in then I'm fine. Basically no veterans who don't deserve to be there.

Kurtosis

GHG
May 26, 2010
The Village Within the City
His points are masking the fact that he has been an inconsistent gong-show on more nights than not this year.

In 2010, Keith proved he didn't need Seabrook beside him to excel. The chemistry experiment failed, because Keith was playing top-line minutes, while Seabrook was stapled to the bench as the bottom Dman by the end of the series.

Seabook, independent of Keith, is not a better right-side Dman than Weber. Or Doughty. Or Pietrangelo. Or Subban. Or even Boyle, depending on who you ask.

Team Canada was burned by Seabrook once. The chances of them putting their hand on that stove again is minimal.

How were they burned by him? I am not saying that he should be a lock for the team, but that seems a bit hyperbolic...

CertainAffinity*

How were they burned by him?

Burned may be a little strong. They brought him thinking he would be a top 4 guy, and play with Keith for the majority of the tournament.

Every D-man's minutes went up as a result of the fact that Seabrook couldn't be trusted on the ice for the majority of the tournament.

huntison

Aug 12, 2008
Kunitz - Crosby - Giroux
Duchene - Getzlaf - Perry
Stamkos - Tavares - St. Louis
Sharp - Toews - Couture
Bergeron - Benn

If Kunitz doesn't go, then you could have:

Stamkos - Crosby - MSL
Marleau - Tavares - Couture
Sharp - Toews - Giroux
Bergeron - Benn

I like the second one.

Small changes.

Stamkos - Crosby - MSL
Sharp - Toews - Giroux
Tavares - Getzlaf - Perry
Duchene - Bergeron - Couture
Benn/Richards

Kurtosis

GHG
May 26, 2010
The Village Within the City
Burned may be a little strong. They brought him thinking he would be a top 4 guy, and play with Keith for the majority of the tournament.

Every D-man's minutes went up as a result of the fact that Seabrook couldn't be trusted on the ice for the majority of the tournament.

Then that is on coaching. If they couldn't trust him early on they could have switched him out. It seems like Babcock is the most to blame according to you.

huntison

Aug 12, 2008
How were they burned by him? I am not saying that he should be a lock for the team, but that seems a bit hyperbolic...

Take off your blinders.

He was the worst Dman on our last Olympic team. The chemistry didn't work as well. Plus this is on international ice.

Why take him?

Nothingman*

I sure hope Sharp makes it. He worked hard in the offseason and has performed superbly this season.

I agree Seabrook should not make it. He is close but not what the team needs. But he sure is good at scoring timely goals.

CertainAffinity*

Then that is on coaching. If they couldn't trust him early on they could have switched him out. It seems like Babcock is the most to blame according to you.

What do you mean switched him out? There were no healthy scratches available in 2010.

They couldn't switch him out, all they could do was shelter him at the bottom of the defensive ladder and double shift Keith with both Doughty and Weber, and having Doughty switch sides to play with Weber at times.

The D-corps on Team Canada last time out was a game of musical chairs imposed by the need to keep Seabrook off the ice (and, arguably, Pronger and Niedermayer earlier in the tournament as well).

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013
Watching that documentary on CBC, I am guessing that the roster was basically set during their mid-December meeting in California.

So I don't think any of what Sharp has done over the past 3 weeks or so has had any influence.

But it's not like he was bum until 3 weeks ago.

Repeating... Patrick Sharp scored the most goals in the Stanley Cup playoffs last spring. So him being really good isn't new even if him being THIS really good maybe is.

Sonic Disturbance

Grandmaster User
Jan 1, 2009
I don't have Seabrook on my 2014 team. Yeah he's having a great statistical half season due to the Hawks explosion but he's more of a 30-35 point D-man. He's not mobile enough for the big ice and was easily the worst defenseman in 2010. Doughty, Pietrangelo, Weber, Subban are all better RH options.

Malkinburgh

Nov 19, 2011
I think Couture is more likely to go than Marleau.

Kunitz - Crosby - Giroux
Stamkos - Tavares - St. Louis
Sharp - Toews - Couture
Bergeron - Benn

If Kunitz doesn't go, then you could have:

Stamkos - Crosby - MSL
Marleau - Tavares - Couture
Sharp - Toews - Giroux
Bergeron - Benn

Those 2 line-ups make so much sense. But I bet there will be a shocker somewhere.

KBobs

Dec 26, 2013
Canada
But you're missing the point, whether or not he is actually in the running has no influence on the argument of SHOULD he be in the running.

You see the article uses statistical facts and data. Those things have no bias, they have no prejudice, they don't care what jersey a player wears, where he's from, it doesn't care whether people like him as a person or dislike him as a person. The data suggests that the things people hold against him aren't actually true, his team is better off with him on the ice than with him off the ice.

So if you truly don't want him on the team because you think he's not good enough, maybe you should start considering what you're basing your decisions on.

Hall is a heck of a player. The guy is extremely talented offensively, and his speed is top-tier. However, you don't assemble an Olympic team based off stats. I don't think you're understanding this. Fill out a roster keeping everything in mind and you will see that he just doesn't fit in this year. The past few days I have made my argument in greater detail, but you and the other Hall supporters simply dismiss it without countering

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
I'll be extremely disappointed if he's not on the Olympic team. He's skilled offensively, good defensively, is a natural winger (who can play both wings), and is by all accounts a good leader and very likeable guy.

I don't have Seabrook on my 2014 team. Yeah he's having a great statistical half season due to the Hawks explosion but he's more of a 30-35 point D-man. He's not mobile enough for the big ice and was easily the worst defenseman in 2010. Doughty, Pietrangelo, Weber, Subban are all better RH options.

As a Hawks fan, I want him to be there...but won't be stunned if he isn't.

Gootie

GOATie
Jul 28, 2010
Chicago
Wasn't Seabrook the 7th defenseman that year? Could swear they dressed 7 D.

Keith Doughty Pronger Niedermayer Weber Boyle Seabrook?

Sonofamitch

Aug 2, 2013
Vaughan,ON
He's been a lock for a while now. Him and sharp on the third line is gonna be a great pair. Team Canada's forwards look like this right now.

Kunitz- Crosby- XXX
Perry- Getzlaf-XXX
Sharp- Toews-XXX
xXX-XXX-XXX

It's just about fiding the best fit for these pairs with the remaing players

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad