Olympics: 2014 — Canada Roster Discussion (Part XII - Announcement Jan 7th, 12PM EST, TSN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
If Nash makes the team but Sharp doesn't...

My posting rate on HF will increase.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa

May 16, 2009
Has anyone stopped for a minute to appreciate just how good Canadian hockey players are performing in the NHL right now?

I mean, there are literally 10 players who are not going to make this team that would likely be locks on any other team.

There is no such thing as a guaranteed win, and on big ice anything can happen...but wow we have some amazing players right now, and a lot of them young.

The future is bright for Hockey Canada.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Who are your top 2 Left shot d-men?

Seabrooks a righty. That's one of the reasons he likely won't make it.

As for Sharp, I wouldn't have had him on my team a couple months ago, but he's been so good this year, and his versatility, experience and chemistry with Toews probably puts him on.

dmacgreg37

Dec 11, 2007
British Columbia
Has anyone stopped for a minute to appreciate just how good Canadian hockey players are performing in the NHL right now?

I mean, there are literally 10 players who are not going to make this team that would likely be locks on any other team.

There is no such thing as a guaranteed win, and on big ice anything can happen...but wow we have some amazing players right now, and a lot of them young.

Everywhere but net. Just like the U-24 thread going has said right now. It's the same story at senior level. So strange, when you look at past WJHC tourneys and goalies used to steal us tournaments.

Stud Muffin

Jan 2, 2014
Manitoba
Hall-Crosby-Tavares
Nash-Toews-Stamkos
Duchene-Giroux-Perry
Benn-Bergeron-Couture
Getzlaf Seguin

Doughty-Weber
Keith-Subban
Boumeester-Pietrangelo
Spares-Giordano-Vlasic

Price
Loungo
Smith

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013
I think the roster might be set already.

And if the roster was set without the guy who scored the most goals in the Stanley Cup playoffs last spring and is currently second behind Ovi for most goals in the NHL this season then Team Canada is run by stupids.

skroonk2002*

The Russians in the Russian roster thread laughed at me when I said that players cut from Team Canada would make the Russian 1st-line.

Let's say each of their top lines consists of any 2 of Ovechkin, Malkin, Datsyuk, and Kovalchuk.

This leaves Radulov to fill in on one of the 2 lines, and Semin the other.

One of Radulov or Semin will be on Russia's 1st-line. Neither would make Team Canada, and neither are as good as players Team Canada is going to leave off.

For example...I don't think Taylor Hall or Tyler Seguin are even being considered at this point, and both of them are much better players than Radulov and Semin.

The disparity gets even wider on defense. Guys like Letang and Phaneuf won't be making Team Canada. Seabrook might also get overlooked.

All 3 of them would be Russia's #1 defenseman. No doubt about that.

KBobs

Dec 26, 2013
Canada
Everywhere but net. Just like the U-24 thread going has said right now. It's the same story at senior level. So strange, when you look at past WJHC tourneys and goalies used to steal us tournaments.

It has a lot to do with how the goalies are being developed. Hockey Canada primarily teaches young goalies the butterfly. Countries such as Russia and Sweden know that our goalies go down to make saves, so they shoot high. That's at least according to Pierre McGuire

Last edited:

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa

May 16, 2009
In my opinion, it has a lot to do with how the goalies are being developed. From what I understand, they only teach young goalies the butterfly.

I have a slightly different theory.

Most of our greatest goalies used to come out of the Q, where they would regularly face 50 shots a game because it was such an offensive league compared to the O or the Dub.

Now the Q has settled in as a more defensive, shot-blocking, trapping league like the rest of them and goalies are spending a lot more time waiting for shots instead of stopping them.

Just a theory.

CertainAffinity*

I'm a big fan of chemistry. Working off these 4 pairings and adding extra wingers. The first four could look like:

Kunitz - Crosby - Giroux
Duchene - Getzlaf - Perry
Marleau - Toews - Sharp
Tavares - Stamkos - St Louis

That'd be some filthy combos

I think Couture is more likely to go than Marleau.

Kunitz - Crosby - Giroux
Stamkos - Tavares - St. Louis
Sharp - Toews - Couture
Bergeron - Benn

If Kunitz doesn't go, then you could have:

Stamkos - Crosby - MSL
Marleau - Tavares - Couture
Sharp - Toews - Giroux
Bergeron - Benn

hitmen19

Jan 21, 2013

only ****** part is that we only see them together once every 4 years. I really hope the world cup gets back on track so we could have best on bests every 2 yrs.

huntison

Aug 12, 2008
Stamkos - Crosby - Giroux
Sharp - Toews - Duchene
Benn - Getzlaf - Perry
Couture - Bergeron - Staal
Richards

CertainAffinity*

Stamkos - Crosby - Giroux
Sharp - Toews - Duchene
Benn - Getzlaf - Perry
Couture - Bergeron - Staal
Richards

Kunitz - Crosby - Giroux
Stamkos - Tavares - St. Louis
Sharp - Toews - Couture
Bergeron - Benn

If Kunitz doesn't go, then you could have:

Stamkos - Crosby - MSL
Marleau - Tavares - Couture
Sharp - Toews - Giroux
Bergeron - Benn

zytz

lumberjack
Jul 25, 2011
Seabrook is like top 5 in defenseman points now isn't he? And a hell of a shut down guy as well. Should absolutely make. Why wouldn't you brig he best pairing in the league to the okympics

KBobs

Dec 26, 2013
Canada
I have a slightly different theory.

Most of our greatest goalies used to come out of the Q, where they would regularly face 50 shots a game because it was such an offensive league compared to the O or the Dub.

Now the Q has settled in as a more defensive, shot-blocking, trapping league like the rest of them and goalies are spending a lot more time waiting for shots instead of stopping them.

Just a theory.

Interesting point. I edited mine by the way

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA