Olympics: 2014 — Canada Roster Discussion (Part XII - Announcement Jan 7th, 12PM EST, TSN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

skroonk2002*

One player who I'm having huge doubts about at this point in time is Claude Giroux. His skill set - high end puck skills and passing - isn't adding an extra dimension to the lineup and perhaps a player with an added dimension would be a better option.

Duchene and Hall provide world class speed, Benn and Lucic would play the powerforward role, and guys like Marleau and Couture are better finishers. Kunitz and Sharp also might provide more synergy with key players in the roster (Crosby and Toews).

Thornton, St. Louis, Crosby, and Getzlaf are elite set-up men. Getzlaf and Thornton provide a lot more strength than Giroux and St. Louis is more agile and has existing synergy with another key member of the offense in Steven Stamkos assuming he is good to go. Stamkos, Tavares and Perry are all high-end finishers and Sharp, Kunitz, Marleau and Couture are likely better finishers than Giroux. Toews and Bergeron are better on the draw and provide better defensive play.

This is all coming from a Flyers fan, so I'm trying to be as unbiased as possible. Giroux would likely be one of my final cuts.

Giroux does everything well, and is one of the best "big-game" players in the NHL.

Look at his playoff resume. Look at his international resume.

He is a top producer, and is capable of playing almost any role and all three forward positions.

Zdeno33Lucic*

Patrick "hat trick, team canada push" sharp

Hatty

Hes a lock with toews at this point for me!

CertainAffinity*

Sharp has to be a lock for Canada now.

Who's ahead of him? Nash? Hall? HA!

chunkylover53

Nov 26, 2013
I think people should come to terms with Kunitz making this team...

Hopefully Sharp makes it as well and he didn't get hot too late.

skroonk2002*

yeah hall supporters like to bring up the one article that say he should be on the team, while neglecting the other 20 that say he isn't even in the running and shouldn't be on the team

Well, the way I look at it is:

He wasn't even mentioned on the Team Canada team selection documentary that aired on CBC. Wasn't even mentioned. This documentary mainly focussed on bubble-players.

So either he is a definite lock and most of us are wrong. Or he isn't even being considered.

I am guessing it is that he isn't even in the running due to the weaknesses in his game.

Tryblot

Oct 4, 2009
Sharp should definitely be on the roster. I really hope that he is.

Toydarian

Jun 2, 2009
His chances have greatly improved. Leading Canadian goal scorer, good defensively, good skater, LW, Toews and Keith as teammates, etc.

Those are some pretty good reasons for him to make the team.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
no actually you haven't given me once your opinion as to what games the goalies will be used.

And I said guys like burnside are privy to insider knowledge on what management and coachs are thinking. Was that to hard to comprehend? They are stating that the coaches have penciled in price as the starter. They are hearing it from the coaches mouth, you know BABCOCK
Where does it say burnside is making the calls??? So when burnside says that the usa has quick penciled in as the usa number 1, and miller 2, he is wrong there also, even though he sat in on the meetings with the brass. ummmmmmmm

what is so hard to believe about the coaches penciling in price as the starter right now. Just because its not your fan boy, it doesn't mean its not the right decision.

again, can you give me a break down of how the goalies will play the games at the beginning, and how those game will be used. I went through all your posts, you must have deleted them all if you wrote anything resembling which games the goalies will play and used

Everyone paying attention knows that both Price and Luongo will be there as #1 and #2. Price seems like a lock to be the starter in game 1 barring injury. There. Let it die.

Anyway, after that little CBC documentary I am trying to prepare myself for the inclusion of Kunitz. I am against Kunitz being on the team, but there is an example from 1984 that gives me some hope. John Tonelli made the Canadian team at the 1984 Canada Cup. He was a role player on the team, mainly making it because he could play a solid defensive/gritty game and also complement one of Canada's best players, his teammate and sometime linemate Mike Bossy. On a Canadian team featuring Gretzky, Bossy, Yzerman, Messier, Coffey and Bourque, among others, Tonelli ended up as tournament MVP. Even a guy who makes team Canada based more on who he plays with as opposed to his own talent can make a large contribution.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Sharp needs to be on this team.

I would be shocked if he is not on the roster at this point. If Stamkos was healthy, Canada could ice four of the best proven duos in the world. In no particular order:

Crosby-Kunitz
Sharp-Toews
Getzlaf-Perry
St. Louis-Stamkos

There would be less concern about chemistry if one were to build around these pairings.

Marina

Mar 26, 2013
Florida
Should be a lock for Canada now. Been unreal this season.

Not like I'm biased or anything... haha... that's not Sharp in my avatar... nope.

Flashspec

Jan 7, 2009
Toronto, ON
My starting line-up prediction:

Kunitz Crosby Stamkos
Marleau Thornton St. Louis
Sharp Toews Giroux
Hall Getzlaf Perry

Keith Seabrook
Pieterangelo Doughty
Boyle Subban

Luongo, Price, Fleury

GWNR

Dec 10, 2013
Ottawa, Ontario
I would be shocked if he is not on the roster at this point. If Stamkos was healthy, Canada could ice four of the best proven duos in the world. In no particular order:

Crosby-Kunitz
Sharp-Toews
Getzlaf-Perry
St. Louis-Stamkos

There would be less concern about chemistry if one were to build around these pairings.

I'm a big fan of chemistry. Working off these 4 pairings and adding extra wingers. The first four could look like:

Kunitz - Crosby - Giroux
Duchene - Getzlaf - Perry
Marleau - Toews - Sharp
Tavares - Stamkos - St Louis

That'd be some filthy combos

Zdeno33Lucic*

Duthie agrees

@tsnjamesduthie: If Patrick Sharp isn't on the Olympic team I will protest by refusing to host any national hockey games on TV next year. #courage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad