Olympics: 2014 — Canada Roster Discussion (Part XII - Announcement Jan 7th, 12PM EST, TSN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CertainAffinity*

Two variations:

1) Kunitz is on the team

Kunitz - Crosby - Giroux
Duchene - Getzlaf - Perry
Stamkos - Tavares - MSL
Sharp - Toews - Couture
Benn - Bergeron

Keith - Weber
Bouwmeester - Pietrangelo
Vlasic - Doughty
Hamhuis - Subban

Luongo
Price
Smith

2) Kunitz left off the team

Stamkos - Crosby - MSL
Duchene - Getzlaf - Perry
Marleau - Tavares - Couture
Sharp - Toews - Giroux
Benn - Bergeron

Keith - Weber
Bouwmeester - Pietrangelo
Vlasic - Doughty
Hamhuis - Subban

Luongo
Price
Smith

....the problem is, there are also two more unhappy combinations to consider. Kunitz on or off the team with Stamkos off the team because of injury.

hitmen19

Jan 21, 2013
No, I understand you perfectly. You think Price is pencilled in as the starter. I agree that you are entitled to your opinion. But unless you are Babcock you are just engaging in speculation. You can pretend that you know but it's not your call, it's not Marty Brodeur's call and it's not even the Team Canada's brass call. It's Babcocks.

And I disagree with your opinion that the starter is the goalie who is playing the best right now (ignoring the fact that Luongo is not even playing right now as he has been injured). In my opinion, who gets the start will be based in part on their play going into the Olympics but largely on who plays better in the games they are both given. Of course, I am not Babcock either and he may give Luongo the nod because he won gold last time or he may give Price the nod. It's all just specualtion at this point.

interesting that luongo according to yzerman wasn't even number 2 recently, it was smith
"I think it's Price and Smith." "Or do we just put Price in [another] colour and then evaluate the other three."

quote from http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2...nada-quotes-and-reactions-sochi-olympics-2014,

interesting every insider has price number 1, you know the guys that have inside contacts, and insider knowledge.

and again, I don't think you know how the tournament is set up. Do you think, the coaches need price against Norway and then luongo against Austria to determine who the goalie is to ride? So give them about 10 shots each at the most, and then determine who to ride, but not the months leading up to the games. ummmmmm ok makes sense

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
interesting that luongo according to yzerman wasn't even number 2 recently, it was smith
"I think it's Price and Smith." "Or do we just put Price in [another] colour and then evaluate the other three."

quote from http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2...nada-quotes-and-reactions-sochi-olympics-2014,

interesting every insider has price number 1, you know the guys that have inside contacts, and insider knowledge.

and again, I don't think you know how the tournament is set up. Do you think, the coaches need price against Norway and then luongo against Austria to determine who the goalie is to ride? So give them about 10 shots each at the most, and then determine who to ride, but not the months leading up to the games. ummmmmm ok makes sense
that quote from the article was mad ein early November, 2 months later i think it is price and luongo for the starter spot.

Josssh

Nov 18, 2009
I was curious what the team would look like taking the top scorers from Canada that were invited to the selection camp:

Kunitz-Crosby-Giroux
Hall-Getzlaf-Perry
Stamkos-Thornton-St.Louis
Tavares-Toews-Sharp

Extra: E.Staal, Duchene

I tried to keep together some of the pairs for chemistry (Kunitz-Crosby, Getzlaf-Perry, Stamkos-St.Louis, Toews-Sharp)

Marleau and Seguin were higher on the points list but excluded because they weren't invited to the camp.

I did the same as above for defense:

Keith-Seabrook
Bouwmeester-Pietrangelo
Subban-Weber

Ex. Doughty, Boyle

Garrison and Franson were higher in points but excluded because they weren't invited to camp.

For goalies it's harder because there is no "points" stats. Price and Luongo are both ahead of the rest for GAA/SV%, so they're in. In GAA the other 3 rank Crawford-Smith-Holtby and for SV% they rank Holtby-Smith-Crawford. So i'll take Smith since he's the middle for both.

Therefore:
Price
Luongo
Smith

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC

LOL! Now you're grasping at straws. Inside contacts indeed! :) And old quotes as well.
The only thing guys with insider knowledge may know is who is likely being picked for the team (and that is even doubtful). I don't think you understand a coaches role in hockey. It's Babcocks call and whether some expert says Price or Marty Brodeur says Luongo is really irrelevant.
Both will get starts in the early games and then they'll ride the hot guy. Pretty much what you saw happen in the World Juniors when Fucale won the starting job. Or did your 'insiders' already predict that was the plan all along and Sutter was just following what they told him to do.

Last edited:

hitmen19

Jan 21, 2013
LOL! Now you're grasping at straws. Inside contacts indeed! :) And old quotes as well.
The only thing guys with insider knowledge may know is who is likley being picked for the team (and that is even doubtful). I don't think you understand a coaches role in hockey. It's Babcocks call and whether some expert says Price or Marty Brodeur says Luongo is really irrelevant.
Both will get starts in the games[/B] that are pretty much a foregone conclusion and then they'll ride the hot guy.

Burnside and Allen both wrote very interesting pieces, you may have even heard about it recently. Guess what, they were privy to a lot of information during those session including the fact that quick is the number 1 and the starter. Now of course if he doesn't come back to form when games start, that may change.

Just like Canada, All indications from what everyone has heard from their contacts, price is the penciled in starter. Could that change, of course if price falters or gets injured, if he doesn't, then its his job to lose, and the way it should be. He has been the best cdn goalie this season.

again sorry to have to ask you again, but do you know how the tourney is set up? What games exactly are they going to use to determine which is the hotter goalie. Please elaborate. You seem to think that they are getting multiple games each somewhere. I can't wait to hear this

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2011
i can't believe subban is not penciled into the top 6, he's the 1st or 2nd most talented defensemen canada has you find a role for someone like that

hitmen19

Jan 21, 2013
I agree with them. Price is a lock for making the team.
As is Luongo.

interesting, the guy that wasn't a lock yet is going to be starting, and the only goalie that was a lock for the whole time is going to be back up

im still waiting on you elaborating on how the games each goalie plays is going to determine who to ride.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
interesting, the guy that wasn't a lock yet is going to be starting, and the only goalie that was a lock for the whole time is going to be back up

im still waiting on you elaborating on how the games each goalie plays is going to determine who to ride.

If you don't think Luongo was a lock to make Team Canada then you need to get better inside sources. :laugh:
I already gave you my opinion as to how the goalies will be used. Several times in fact. I'm waiting for your opinion as to what a coaches role on a team is. Or do you think Burnside makes the calls.

In any event, this is going in circles. We'll see who is correct.
Have a good evening!

hitmen19

Jan 21, 2013
If you don't think Luongo was a lock to make Team Canada then you need to get better inside sources. :laugh:
I already gave you my opinion as to how the goalies will be used. Several times in fact. I'm waiting for your opinion as to what a coaches role on a team is. Or do you think Burnside makes the calls.

In any event, this is going in circles. We'll see who is correct.
Have a good evening!
no actually you haven't given me once your opinion as to what games the goalies will be used.

And I said guys like burnside are privy to insider knowledge on what management and coachs are thinking. Was that to hard to comprehend? They are stating that the coaches have penciled in price as the starter. They are hearing it from the coaches mouth, you know BABCOCK
Where does it say burnside is making the calls??? So when burnside says that the usa has quick penciled in as the usa number 1, and miller 2, he is wrong there also, even though he sat in on the meetings with the brass. ummmmmmmm

what is so hard to believe about the coaches penciling in price as the starter right now. Just because its not your fan boy, it doesn't mean its not the right decision.

again, can you give me a break down of how the goalies will play the games at the beginning, and how those game will be used. I went through all your posts, you must have deleted them all if you wrote anything resembling which games the goalies will play and used

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010
There will be a fair amount of controversy with the choices as some very good players will be left off.

A heard a pundit put it this way "there will be close to a dozen bobby ryans when canada is named".

Razorwing

Oct 17, 2010
IMO, Subban should be an automatic lock on the Team for D. Get rid of Bouwmeester.

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010
This made absolutely no sense. Subban isn't even competing with JBo directly. JBo is pretty much a lock at this point.

Yup he had a good start to his sentence but the part about leaving Bo off thats where he looked a lil silly

ahthorne

Feb 23, 2013
Vancouver
One player who I'm having huge doubts about at this point in time is Claude Giroux. His skill set - high end puck skills and passing - isn't adding an extra dimension to the lineup and perhaps a player with an added dimension would be a better option.

Duchene and Hall provide world class speed, Benn and Lucic would play the powerforward role, and guys like Marleau and Couture are better finishers. Kunitz and Sharp also might provide more synergy with key players in the roster (Crosby and Toews).

Thornton, St. Louis, Crosby, and Getzlaf are elite set-up men. Getzlaf and Thornton provide a lot more strength than Giroux and St. Louis is more agile and has existing synergy with another key member of the offense in Steven Stamkos assuming he is good to go. Stamkos, Tavares and Perry are all high-end finishers and Sharp, Kunitz, Marleau and Couture are likely better finishers than Giroux. Toews and Bergeron are better on the draw and provide better defensive play.

This is all coming from a Flyers fan, so I'm trying to be as unbiased as possible. Giroux would likely be one of my final cuts.

hitmen19

Jan 21, 2013
There is no way Mike Babcock trusts Taylor Hall.
yeah hall supporters like to bring up the one article that say he should be on the team, while neglecting the other 20 that say he isn't even in the running and shouldn't be on the team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad