2013 Sharks training camp

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
Actually I play and do know what it feels like to get slammed into the boards by someone of his size over and over again (BTW - ouch and yes it can be intimidating to a skill player like myself :) ). It's about being tough / hard to play against which appears to be the case here. I do agree, BFD in this case. Over time i just don't see the need for it from a 4th liner that has questionable NHL skills, your whole team needs to play this way, not just a 8 minute a game player.

Where do you play where you get hit over and over again by 6-4 245 pound professional hockey players? I thought you weren't allowed to play that way in amateur leagues. At least the ones my friends play in are that way.

I wish it were all skill players. datsyuk's everywhere. It just ain't and I'm alright with that.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Where do you play where you get hit over and over again by 6-4 245 pound professional hockey players? I thought you weren't allowed to play that way in amateur leagues. At least the ones my friends play in are that way.

I wish it were all skill players. datsyuk's everywhere. It just ain't and I'm alright with that.

Yup. I'm ok with it as well.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
In regards to fighting, I generally think it is a mistake for teams to say "this our one-fighter". It excuses the rest of the team. You aren't a tough team if you have 19 prima donnas and one enforcer; said in another way, having one or two token fighters doesn't mean you are a "fighting/tough" team.

For me, it is important to have players throughout the lineup who are willing to fight, primarily because it shows a good kind of mindset.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
In regards to fighting, I generally think it is a mistake for teams to say "this our one-fighter". It excuses the rest of the team. You aren't a tough team if you have 19 prima donnas and one enforcer; said in another way, having one or two token fighters doesn't mean you are a "fighting/tough" team.

For me, it is important to have players throughout the lineup who are willing to fight, primarily because it shows a good kind of mindset.

Me too. The Sharks don't have a designated "fighter" outside of Pelech but they have guys who are willing to fight even if its not what they are known for.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
the only players on the sharks i do not want fighting are couture and pavelski. i am sure they could hold there own against a few players in the league, but both just seem like the kinds of players that would basically be punching bags if they had to protect themselves against the majority of nhl players.

slocal

Dude...what?
May 4, 2010
Central Coast CA
the only players on the sharks i do not want fighting are couture and pavelski. i am sure they could hold there own against a few players in the league, but both just seem like the kinds of players that would basically be punching bags if they had to protect themselves against the majority of nhl players.

I'd add Patty to that list. He's a gentle type of man.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California

Pavelski beat up Ryan Whitney. :laugh:

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
No one one this board knows what it's like to be slammed into the boards by someone of his size over and over again. If he ends up taking it over the line or ends up in a fight there's little lost while he sits in the box. This is not just about fighting. But if it comes to that, BFD.

How we got to this place where some fans think fighting in hockey is a disgrace, I just don't know. I could see it if it wasn't there and was a gimmick added to put buts in the seats, but's been there forever. If anything, hockey has become more tame over the years.

Players are "model" citizens for the most part. We've got nets to protect fans, helmets and shields to protect the players. Maybe next they should be working on artificial ice that isn't so hard in case the players fall.

I don't think fighting is a disgrace, in fact I specifically said otherwise, you are putting words into my mouth.

I don't think fighting is a disgrace. I think staged fighting (aka George Parros vs. Colton Orr) is extremely unnecessary.

Exactly

And I don't think they are staged per-se. They are a result of what happens on the ice. If someone takes a run at one player and then the other team puts out their big hitter, then the other team ends up putting out their big hitter. It ends up looking staged because the players know it's going to end up happening, so they drop the gloves and just get it over with so they don't take the chance of hurting their own team getting into it during the middle of a play.

TLDR: What you see as staged, I see as what has evolved over time into what we "sometimes" see now. It is not just sending out 2 goons to have a fight for the fans.

Staged is when two guys who's job it is to beat each others faces in get out on the ice prior to a face off and fight with absolutely no emotion involved. No ones sending a message, if you were one of his teammates would you really feel even the slightest bit safer on the ice because Pelech went out and fought the other teams goon? They do it for the show of it, and because they are supposed to, not because it has any effect on the other players. The players know those goons are not allowed to fight them, and most of them cant skate fast enough to be any real threat outside of fighting/cheap shots.

I think fighting should be kept as pressure relief valves for players who are pumped up on adrenaline and pissed off at each other. Not between two guys who are only fighting because thats what they are told to do (and how many times have we heard this from retired enforcers? Many of them don't like doing it).

The Ice Hockey Dude

Ack! Thbbft!
Jul 18, 2003
Lost in the SW!

When and Where does not matter, it was a while ago in Jr hockey in MI.

Its about intimidation. Kind of like knowing Murray is on D and if you don't keep your head up you'll get plastered. In this case, its the the other way, put that player on forward and keep their players honest, mostly in their end. It could get us some turn overs and puck time in their end + maybe Pelech can beet the snot out of someone that takes liberties with one our still players (seriously, i hope he can win a NHL fight). This is TMacs intent i believe. I'm not saying i think its a good idea or will work at this point. The NHL is more of a skill league these days, not to many teams have thungs anymore.

AbsolonMoreau*

Me too. The Sharks don't have a designated "fighter" outside of Pelech but they have guys who are willing to fight even if its not what they are known for.

Plenty of guys in the line-up can and will fight. Desi, Burish, Wingels, Stuart, Hannan, and Raffi.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
When and Where does not matter, it was a while ago in Jr hockey in MI.

Its about intimidation. Kind of like knowing Murray is on D and if you don't keep your head up you'll get plastered. In this case, its the the other way, put that player on forward and keep their players honest, mostly in their end. It could get us some turn overs and puck time in their end + maybe Pelech can beet the snot out of someone that takes liberties with one our still players (seriously, i hope he can win a NHL fight). This is TMacs intent i believe. I'm not saying i think its a good idea or will work at this point. The NHL is more of a skill league these days, not to many teams have thungs anymore.

And you don't agree that getting pounded a few times wears you down?

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area

I'd add Marleau to that, mostly because I don't want him to get embarrassed, and Havlat, because you know he'd fall and die. :laugh: Thornton is a great fighter, and most of the other guys are willing. Even Boyle's scrappy as hell.

We don't need a designated fighter. We have enough guys who are willing to go.

Mafoofoo

Jawesome
Jul 3, 2010
Laguna Beach

Not in Couture's case. He'd get lit up by at least 95% of the league. :laugh: But eh even if he, Pavs, Patty and Marleau don't fight the rest of the roster can throw down which is good enough.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
I'd add Marleau to that, mostly because I don't want him to get embarrassed, and Havlat, because you know he'd fall and die. :laugh: Thornton is a great fighter, and most of the other guys are willing. Even Boyle's scrappy as hell.

We don't need a designated fighter. We have enough guys who are willing to go.

So you're cool with a plug taking Marleau or Thornton out for 5 minutes?

As long as other teams have one it will be a need. Don't have to ice him every game and I highly doubt he will be.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
So you're cool with a plug taking Marleau or Thornton out for 5 minutes?

As long as other teams have one it will be a need. Don't have to ice him every game and I highly doubt he will be.

Thornton doesn't fight plugs. I'm cool with a plug taking Desjardins (or Burish) off the ice for 5 minutes. I just don't think plugs should be a part of the game.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
And you don't agree that getting pounded a few times wears you down?

I just don't see Pelech doing that. Hope he proves me wrong, but I don't think i've ever seen him throw a world rocking hit. He's simply not fast enough, and not skilled enough, to time a really great hit, let alone consistently. Torres is an example of a guy with the size, speed, and skill to be an effective hitter. Pelech is not a replacement for that, at all.

While I agree, tough physical players are a good thing, that has to be coupled with some skill, and Pelech doesn't have that. He's just not an effective player at the NHL level in anyway. Since I don't see goon battles as a productive form of intimidation I see him as pretty useless. I'd rather have Kearns on the ice frankly, at least he has a strong forecheck and some offensive skill.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
I just don't see Pelech doing that. Hope he proves me wrong, but I don't think i've ever seen him throw a world rocking hit. He's simply not fast enough, and not skilled enough, to time a really great hit, let alone consistently. Torres is an example of a guy with the size, speed, and skill to be an effective hitter. Pelech is not a replacement for that, at all.

While I agree, tough physical players are a good thing, that has to be coupled with some skill, and Pelech doesn't have that. He's just not an effective player at the NHL level in anyway. Since I don't see goon battles as a productive form of intimidation I see him as pretty useless. I'd rather have Kearns on the ice frankly, at least he has a strong forecheck and some offensive skill.

I'm pretty sure it was last Tuesdays game where he rocked a kid, the announcers mentioned it and shortly after that he got in a fight with Sestito.

Tmac's giving him his chance and apparently believes he's improved his skill set. We'll see.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
I'm pretty sure it was last Tuesdays game where he rocked a kid, the announcers mentioned it and shortly after that he got in a fight with Sestito.

Tmac's giving him his chance and apparently believes he's improved his skill set. We'll see.

That's an affirmative, he rocked someone in last Tuesday's game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad