2013 Sharks training camp

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
KKurzCSN 1:43pm via TweetDeck #SJSharks training camp opens four weeks from today, for those of you who keep track of such things.

"Vets" report 9/11 (historically scheduled for meds and photos). Unlikely there will be any public events for the day.

I'd expect practices and/or scrimmages to start on Thursday 9/12.

Stay tuned for Sharks schedule of any public events.

(FWIW, per my ticket rep there will NOT be a Teal & White game this year. There may be a "meet the Sharks event" later in the season for STH.)

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Vet training camp "opens" 9/11. But rooks/prospects will probably arrive 9/2 or so to prep for Penticton tournament. And while the tournament is going on, the "less than 50 NHL game" guys (most of the pro invitees and AHLers) usually arrive to have some extra time with NHL coaches before the official "final" start of camp 9/11.

(At least that's how things went down in 2011.)

wishman

Jan 20, 2007
Any idea when captain's skate will start? I guess the Olympic camps may throw a wrench in that normal schedule.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Still waiting for schedule (guessing it'll be out after Labor Day).

Informal skates have been continuing. New faces today: Stuart, Demers, Acolaste (joining Tarasov, Burns and Thornton). I'm hearing that the "official" start of Captains Skate may be tomorrow.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Sharks are having the annual Foundation benefit golf tournament on 9/10.

So, there probably will be no captain's skate that day.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
FWIW, Sharks have ice time scheduled starting at 10:30.

(Guess I need to bring a book or something.)

Do you know the schedule for the rest of the week?

When I asked last week I was told they'd be skating from 11-12 but that doesn't really seem to be the case.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Well, guys were on the ice by 10:30 today, and started pealing off by 11:30. Couture last one off a bit after noon.

Sateri and Stalock arrived "late" and were watching in street clothes (saw Stalock's scar -- nasty).

Niemi had his new pads (finally). Afterwards didn't sound like they were too different to play in.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
Only a rumor (for now)...

Josh Rimer @JoshRimerHockey
Speaking of former Leafs & PTO's, looks like Kyle Wellwood could be attending Sharks Training Camp on a PTO as well.

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
Only a rumor (for now)...

Josh Rimer @JoshRimerHockey
Speaking of former Leafs & PTO's, looks like Kyle Wellwood could be attending Sharks Training Camp on a PTO as well.

Been seeing this around as well, interesting if true. I wonder who would be gone to make space for him if he made the team, or maybe bringing him in would be insurance if Hertl doesn't impress?

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
Been seeing this around as well, interesting if true. I wonder who would be gone to make space for him if he made the team, or maybe bringing him in would be insurance if Hertl doesn't impress?

A whole lot is going to depend on Havlat's health. Seeing as it still seems very likely he starts the season on LTIR the cap won't be an issue until he has to come off.

Wellwood could be brought in for several reasons, however, the Sharks aren't only up against the cap they're also up against their contract limit with 48 NHL contracts as of right now.

I don't think Wellwood is the only 'vet' that may be invited to camp if some of the 'whispers' I'm hearing are any indication.

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
A whole lot is going to depend on Havlat's health. Seeing as it still seems very likely he starts the season on LTIR the cap won't be an issue until he has to come off.

Wellwood could be brought in for several reasons, however, the Sharks aren't only up against the cap they're also up against their contract limit with 48 NHL contracts as of right now.

I don't think Wellwood is the only 'vet' that may be invited to camp if some of the 'whispers' I'm hearing are any indication.

Any specifics?

The only reason I'm skeptical about the capspace is that Havlat has been skating and showing up in scrimmages this summer. I know that was reported by his agent and should be taken with a grain of salt but it does seem to indicate that he will not be out nearly as long as expected.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
Any specifics?

The only reason I'm skeptical about the capspace is that Havlat has been skating and showing up in scrimmages this summer. I know that was reported by his agent and should be taken with a grain of salt but it does seem to indicate that he will not be out nearly as long as expected.

Not right now.

I know Havlat's been skating and whatnot but it seems to me that the org still isn't expecting him to be game ready for quite a while.

I saw that Kurz mentioned that he doesn't think Havlat suits up for the Sharks again and I have to say, that wouldn't totally shock me.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
And then there's this...

@WiebeSunSports Mike Liut, agent- former Jets F Kyle Wellwood says client isn't attending #SJSharks camp

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
Remember when Wellwood resigned with the Sharks for like 10 minutes and then it changed to the Jets?

Serious question on tryouts, do they have room for another contract? Aren't they at 49 contracts with Petrecki still unsigned.

They're at 48 total contracts w/o Petrecki signed - not so sure he's gonna sign though.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
48 plus Tierney (who will probably be heading back to CHL).

Have to wonder if Petrecki will hold out or be traded.

I don't include Tierney / his contract since he'll be playing in London this season.

Petrecki has zero leverage and holding out wouldn't be a great move for him. I wouldn't be surprised to see him traded and I'd be even less surprised if it was at his request.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $935.00