2013 Sharks training camp

Mafoofoo

Jawesome
Jul 3, 2010
Laguna Beach
If you did that on purpose... :laugh:

I...I don't even know how I did that. :laugh:

So you're cool with a plug taking Marleau or Thornton out for 5 minutes?

As long as other teams have one it will be a need. Don't have to ice him every game and I highly doubt he will be.

No plug is gonna **** with Thornton because he'd literally kill them on the ice like a Great White Shark vs a baby tuna.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
Hes rocked quite a few people this preseason. The guy wants more games this year. His only way is with his physical play.

Yep. He's also worked his butt off on his on ice play. People think Hamilton "earned" his shot, the coaches believe Pelech earned his shot as well.

I don't know if he's ever going to be more then a guy who can hit and fight but in Worcester he's responsible defensively, is used on the PK and contributes occasionally on the score sheet.

He isn't going to be an every day player for the Sharks but like Hamilton, he, McCarthy and Kearns all impressed the coaching staff in camp / pre-season and they're all likely to see NHL time at some point this season.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Yep. He's also worked his butt off on his on ice play. People think Hamilton "earned" his shot, the coaches believe Pelech earned his shot as well.

I don't know if he's ever going to be more then a guy who can hit and fight but in Worcester he's responsible defensively, is used on the PK and contributes occasionally on the score sheet.

He isn't going to be an every day player for the Sharks but like Hamilton, he, McCarthy and Kearns all impressed the coaching staff in camp / pre-season and they're all likely to see NHL time at some point this season.

The only reason that this decision may be important is because it would be very beneficial to have the fourth liners kill penalties. I don't think Pelech is the kind of guy that can do that at the NHL level. McCarthy and Hamilton probably can. At this point, they will be heavily relying on their top guys to get the job done when they could probably use more and better support from their depth forwards in that situation.

SJeasy

Feb 3, 2005
San Jose
IMO, the cap is another push to get fighting out of the game. GMs don't want to give up cap space to lose skill. Recently, teams that are out of it frequently have two or three goons with little skill while competitive teams often have none. Or, the better teams have players who are deserving of a spot without fighting but who have fighting in their repertoire. There was a stage where each team had at least one goon but that is disappearing.

In terms of fighting in the game, there are many high end leagues that do without it or punish it much more severely than the NHL. It was interesting to see professional lacrosse where the was fighting as I only knew it at the amateur level where fighting was not a part of the game. I actually enjoyed the amateur play better as it was faster moving and didn't have the interims that were caused by confrontations. I don't think it will be all that long before fighting is practically removed from the game for a variety of reasons.

In terms of Pelech, the Nucks have one or two similar players and Torts has had a penchant for using them.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
IMO, the cap is another push to get fighting out of the game. GMs don't want to give up cap space to lose skill. Recently, teams that are out of it frequently have two or three goons with little skill while competitive teams often have none. Or, the better teams have players who are deserving of a spot without fighting but who have fighting in their repertoire. There was a stage where each team had at least one goon but that is disappearing.

In terms of fighting in the game, there are many high end leagues that do without it or punish it much more severely than the NHL. It was interesting to see professional lacrosse where the was fighting as I only knew it at the amateur level where fighting was not a part of the game. I actually enjoyed the amateur play better as it was faster moving and didn't have the interims that were caused by confrontations. I don't think it will be all that long before fighting is practically removed from the game for a variety of reasons.

In terms of Pelech, the Nucks have one or two similar players and Torts has had a penchant for using them.

The last paragraph is very accurate and why it's not "stupid" to play Pelech. If Weise & Sestito both play those are 2 players that enjoy going after skill guys, if Pelech can get them off the ice he's done his job.

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
Man, being a UFA during the season of the lowered cap must suck. Feel bad for players like Ian White. He's still a Top-4 OFD, just no team is willing to sign him.

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
Man, being a UFA during the season of the lowered cap must suck. Feel bad for players like Ian White. He's still a Top-4 OFD, just no team is willing to sign him.

Players like him need to find spots in the AHL to showcase themselves to be ready to take advantage of potential openings. Unfortunately, many players like him consider the AHL to be beneath them.

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
Players like him need to find spots in the AHL to showcase themselves to be ready to take advantage of potential openings. Unfortunately, many players like him consider the AHL to be beneath them.

He'll probably take the Wellwood route if anything. Sign in the KHL and hope some NHL team needs him later in the season.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California

If he was..he would be signed. He's the Kyle Wellwood of defenseman.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $2,300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $685.00