2013 Sharks training camp

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
IMO if you want to have an enforcer at least have a player that is capable of playing like a Clifford or Eager. I don't like the staged fights between two team's enforcers like the two Orr vs Parros fights last night. When the Sharks had Shelley and they were playing the Ducks, Shelley and Parros would eventually start fighting every game.

The one time you would actually need an enforcer is in situations like when Ryane Clowe was 'on a change' and started getting into it with Andrew Shaw when he was working over Pavelski. That's when you want a useless scrapper or "enforcer" to come in and cheap-shot the guy and take the 10 game suspension to try and deter that stuff. Otherwise, it's absolutely useless. The reality of hockey at the NHL level is that stuff is and will always be an eye for an eye at best or you can turn the other cheek and get labelled as soft depending on your preference.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
The reason that Hamilton was kept up also had positive financial implications. Granted I think he deserved a chance to play tomorrow, but perhaps there was another reason they kept him up.

As we saw earlier in the thread, and if I'm understanding the wording correctly, it was important for the Sharks to get as close to the cap as possible in order to bank as much LTIR cap space as they could. With Hamilton on the team instead of Pelech, and not counting Torres' cap hit or player bonuses, the Sharks cap was at 64,092,500. That literally leaves them with 207,500 in cap space.

Again, if I'm understanding the wording in the CBA correctly, with Torres on LTIR the Sharks have an extra 1,792,500 as part of their cap. That extra space covers all the bonuses of 842,500, and gives them 950,000 in cap space for callups needed between now and the 5 months Raffi needs to recover. If they had used Pelech, the LTIR cap space would be 1,464,167. If you subtract the bonuses from that number you're left with 621,667 for callups. So keeping Hamilton up for financial reasons was a shrewd move by DW or the legal team or whoever.

The Sharks clearly are taking advantage of the new CBA to the best of their ability.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
IMO if you want to have an enforcer at least have a player that is capable of playing like a Clifford or Eager. I don't like the staged fights between two team's enforcers like the two Orr vs Parros fights last night. When the Sharks had Shelley and they were playing the Ducks, Shelley and Parros would eventually start fighting every game.

The fights last night weren't staged. Orr injured Patches and then went after Subban. I'm with you on staged fights though. They are boring.

MechaMarleau

Vertebraeker
Apr 13, 2007
Menlo Park
The cap is seriously messed up, we have a couple players who may play opening night (or not), a major forward who won't be up until well into 2014, and a player with a reconstructed pelvis who they've not given much guidance on when he'll be back.

Hamilton, at best, would play fourth line minutes. What's better- six minutes of NHL time or in the press box, or three times that in Worcester?

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
The cap is seriously messed up, we have a couple players who may play opening night (or not), a major forward who won't be up until well into 2014, and a player with a reconstructed pelvis who they've not given much guidance on when he'll be back.

Hamilton, at best, would play fourth line minutes. What's better- six minutes of NHL time or in the press box, or three times that in Worcester?

While that argument is all well and good, if it turns out they actually ice Pelech instead of Hamilton it sends a lousy message. Hamilton had a great camp and giving him a slot on the opening night roster is as much a deserved reward (and motivation for players next year) as it is the ability to judge him at the next level, even for a game.

I guarantee you if you asked that question to Hamilton he wants to get his game in the NHL. Even if you told him "it will only be for one game" I still guarantee you he'd choose the NHL for a game. While I agree he should likely spend most of the season in Worcester, giving him a game or two in the NHL isn't going to stunt him and he earned it, Pelech did not. Pelech has proven he does not have NHL talent, he's a plug. You know what you are getting with Pelech, but what you are getting is a plug.

Maybe they won't do it, maybe Hamilton will be on the roster tomorrow, but his org has a history of making dumb roster decisions and at this point you simply cannot justify it. I would say it is in fact this teams biggest coaching flaw, which I guess if you are going to have a flaw it's one of the better ones. Still, it's stupid.

Grave

Mondo Cool
Jun 23, 2009
Northern California
I'm not even really convinced he can win a fight yet...

If you are going to have an enforcer it needs to be one that is going to win, consistently. No one is intimidated by two guys holding each other sleeves and throwing wild punches at the back of each others heads...

Then again, I hate enforcers and think they are total embarrassment to the game.

You probably know better than the players and the owners.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Does anyone suspect the Pelech recall is in response to the Toronto-Montreal game last night? Otherwise, why tell Hamilton he's starting and then send him down?

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
Does anyone suspect the Pelech recall is in response to the Toronto-Montreal game last night? Otherwise, why tell Hamilton he's starting and then send him down?

He was sent to SF specifically to be recalled today. There's no way he would have accepted an assignment to the ECHL without knowing he was coming right back.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
He was sent to SF specifically to be recalled today. There's no way he would have accepted an assignment to the ECHL without knowing he was coming right back.

But why tell Hamilton he was on the roster, make a big deal out of it, interview him, etc? I think that's unnecessarily cruel. And Hamilton's cap hit is more than Pelech, so why not just assign Hamilton to Worcester to begin with?

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
But why tell Hamilton he was on the roster, make a big deal out of it, interview him, etc? I think that's unnecessarily cruel. And Hamilton's cap hit is more than Pelech, so why not just assign Hamilton to Worcester to begin with?

For LTIR cap space. See my post above. Also, watch hamilton's interview again. He doesn't look or sound excited. I think he knew this was coming.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
Good for Pelech. He worked hard to become more than a fighter and deserves it.

So he's a fighter and...?

I seriously don't see what he adds to this team. He's not a liability, but I've yet to see him add anything of significance beyond that. He seems like a great guy and all, but 'deserves' it is a stretching it quite a bit. Players with NHL talent deserve to be on an NHL roster, he's getting there by roleplaying a role I find totally useless and doing nothing else particularly well.

You probably know better than the players and the owners.

They are making a business decision because they think it puts butt's in the seats. I disagree, I think 'real' fights put butt's in the seats, whether an AHL plug or talentless goon gets in a staged fight with another AHL plug or talentless goon in my opinion is a poor business decision the NHL apparently has yet to figure out. I suspect they will at some point, some of them seem to have already.

The Ice Hockey Dude

Ack! Thbbft!
Jul 18, 2003
Lost in the SW!

Perhaps this was DW making him eligible for some entry level contract bonus as a high 5 for his development to date as well as what the org thinks of him. Anyone know details of his contract and bonus situation? On the opening season roster, he gets a bonus?

The Ice Hockey Dude

Ack! Thbbft!
Jul 18, 2003
Lost in the SW!
So he's a fighter and...?

I seriously don't see what he adds to this team. He's not a liability, but I've yet to see him add anything of significance beyond that. He seems like a great guy and all, but 'deserves' it is a stretching it quite a bit. Players with NHL talent deserve to be on an NHL roster, he's getting there by role playing a role I find totally useless and doing nothing else particularly well.

Apparently TMac thinks his strength along the boards is needed opening night.... I'm not sure i believe this, he's got to have a story that's good PR, he can't say i need him on the ice in case we need to kick someone ass - bad PR :sarcasm:

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Perhaps this was DW making him eligible for some entry level contract bonus as a high 5 for his development to date as well as what the org thinks of him. Anyone know details of his contract and bonus situation? On the opening season roster, he gets a bonus?

I'd like to know the details as well. Maybe I'm just naive about this kind of thing, but I'm angry on Freddie's behalf. :laugh:

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
Hamilton will get his chance.

Tmac wants a known quantity, and I can agree with that. I'm sure pelech will sink or swim pretty quickly

The Ice Hockey Dude

Ack! Thbbft!
Jul 18, 2003
Lost in the SW!
Hamilton will get his chance.

Tmac wants a known quantity, and I can agree with that. I'm sure pelech will sink or swim pretty quickly

I'm thinking TMac and DW are trying to re-make Pelech into a enforcer/4th liner/grinder. They have asked him to learn how to play forward so as not to be a liability on the ice, he's done so, and now they are honoring their commitment to him to try him in some NHL action.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
No one one this board knows what it's like to be slammed into the boards by someone of his size over and over again. If he ends up taking it over the line or ends up in a fight there's little lost while he sits in the box. This is not just about fighting. But if it comes to that, BFD.

How we got to this place where some fans think fighting in hockey is a disgrace, I just don't know. I could see it if it wasn't there and was a gimmick added to put buts in the seats, but's been there forever. If anything, hockey has become more tame over the years.

Players are "model" citizens for the most part. We've got nets to protect fans, helmets and shields to protect the players. Maybe next they should be working on artificial ice that isn't so hard in case the players fall.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I don't think fighting is a disgrace. I think staged fighting (aka George Parros vs. Colton Orr) is extremely unnecessary.

The Ice Hockey Dude

Ack! Thbbft!
Jul 18, 2003
Lost in the SW!
No one one this board knows what it's like to be slammed into the boards by someone of his size over and over again. If he ends up taking it over the line or ends up in a fight there's little lost while he sits in the box. This is not just about fighting. But if it comes to that, BFD.

How we got to this place where some fans think fighting in hockey is a disgrace, I just don't know. I could see it if it wasn't there and was a gimmick added to put buts in the seats, but's been there forever. If anything, hockey has become more tame over the years.

Players are "model" citizens for the most part. We've got nets to protect fans, helmets and shields to protect the players. Maybe next they should be working on artificial ice that isn't so hard in case the players fall.

Actually I play and do know what it feels like to get slammed into the boards by someone of his size over and over again (BTW - ouch and yes it can be intimidating to a skill player like myself :) ). It's about being tough / hard to play against which appears to be the case here. I do agree, BFD in this case. Over time i just don't see the need for it from a 4th liner that has questionable NHL skills, your whole team needs to play this way, not just a 8 minute a game player.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
I don't think fighting is a disgrace. I think staged fighting (aka George Parros vs. Colton Orr) is extremely unnecessary.

And I don't think they are staged per-se. They are a result of what happens on the ice. If someone takes a run at one player and then the other team puts out their big hitter, then the other team ends up putting out their big hitter. It ends up looking staged because the players know it's going to end up happening, so they drop the gloves and just get it over with so they don't take the chance of hurting their own team getting into it during the middle of a play.

TLDR: What you see as staged, I see as what has evolved over time into what we "sometimes" see now. It is not just sending out 2 goons to have a fight for the fans.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad