OT: 2013 Ottawa Concert Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spire2000

Jan 22, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Jimmy Eat World announced a festival show in Niagara on June 29th, their first NA tour date this year. Seems they will be in the area for Bluesfest only a few days later.

Northern Neighbour

Feb 27, 2008
somewhere south of the equator
Bluesfest lineup is now being announced this week.

Six to eight weeks earlier than usual. I always wondered why it took so long for Monahan and company to release the initial lineup, although I understand there are some scheduling issues. But then, festivals like Bonnaroo, Forecastle (in Louisville), Newport, etc. tend to release their early and most bands tend to do the festival circuit.

Anyway, I'm excited to see the preliminary lineup on Wednesday.

mat_sens

@mat_sens #lalala
Jan 22, 2007
Ottawa
Funny to see baauer there. Harlem shake at bluesfest. On another note, I'll be going to see Tommy trash

blahblah3

Jan 8, 2010
I am thankful they have dropped the price, but this line up is only marginally better than last years. Music is in a pretty pathetic state these days.

Northern Neighbour

Feb 27, 2008
I am thankful they have dropped the price, but this line up is only marginally better than last years. Music is in a pretty pathetic state these days.

I disagree. The past five to ten years has been great for music, as long as you're not relying on the radio as your main source. The internet has allowed for a lot of musicians and bands to share their music, and if you take the time you can find excellent stuff.

I actually think the lineup is significantly better than last year. While the Headliners are decent to good, it's the other acts that make this year's Bluesfest much stronger.

blahblah3

Jan 8, 2010
I disagree. The past five to ten years has been great for music, as long as you're not relying on the radio as your main source. The internet has allowed for a lot of musicians and bands to share their music, and if you take the time you can find excellent stuff.

I actually think the lineup is significantly better than last year. While the Headliners are decent to good, it's the other acts that make this year's Bluesfest much stronger.

Yes the radio stuff is what I am referring to primarily. This is in many ways your prototypical live 88.5 lineup which I can no longer listen to as it is dominated by over produced electron pop rock and relics of the 90s that didn't age well.

Come to think of it, I didn't hear a single good new album in 2012 (from the internet world).

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
I was really expecting the Lumineers and possibly the XX, which would have been really cool.. Ah well...

McManked

Ooh to be a Gooner
Jan 16, 2011
Edmonton, AB
Yes the radio stuff is what I am referring to primarily. This is in many ways your prototypical live 88.5 lineup which I can no longer listen to as it is dominated by over produced electron pop rock and relics of the 90s that didn't age well.

Come to think of it, I didn't hear a single good new album in 2012 (from the internet world).

Really? The Carpenters by the Avett Bros...Babel by M&S...An Awesome Wave (Psych Rock)...there are tons of amazing artists out there who aren't popular but still amazing.

Northern Neighbour

Feb 27, 2008
I was really expecting the Lumineers and possibly the XX, which would have been really cool.. Ah well...

I thought the Lumineers would be coming since they're performing at pretty much every festival.

Really? The Carpenters by the Avett Bros...Babel by M&S...An Awesome Wave (Psych Rock)...there are tons of amazing artists out there who aren't popular but still amazing.

Yeah, tons of great albums last year - Grizzly Bear, Sharon Van Etten, DIIV, Father John Misty, Japandroids, King Tuff, Tame Impala, Foxygen (EP), and many, many others.

McManked

Ooh to be a Gooner
Jan 16, 2011
Edmonton, AB
I thought the Lumineers would be coming since they're performing at pretty much every festival.

Yeah, tons of great albums last year - Grizzly Bear, Sharon Van Etten, DIIV, Father John Misty, Japandroids, King Tuff, Tame Impala, Foxygen (EP), and many, many others.

Foxygen :D I love those guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad