Proposal: 2013 Offseason: UFAs, Trades, and Potential Buyouts | Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
From the article:

Sidney Crosby?

haha I don't know, I was wondering too..

Surprised people aren't talking about this. For a team to ask for Karlsson and Cowen in return for a player means that we're talking about a top 10, probably even top 5 player in the league. Which would confirm that Murray is discretely searching for a big-time player. Any ideas on who it might be?

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
I thought the arena and the team were run as separate entities; if you're taking the cost of servicing the arena's debt into the operating income, would you not also have to take into account all the other revenue sources associated with the arena? I was under the understanding that the arena was a money maker, while the team was not...

I could be way off base as I haven't looked at the numbers though.

Separate entities or not doesn't really effect anything.

Nobody knows whether the arena makes money or the Sens lose money, other Melnyk, his management team and his accountants.

The reason is simple, Senators Sports and Entertainment is a solely owned private company that has no obligation to provide financials other than the data the NHL/NHLPA only requires per the CBA.

So if Melnyk says the Sens lost money we have no choice but to believe him.

My point was if he lost $12M, as was reported by a radio station, a large portion of it would likely be attributed to the servicing of the debt.

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
Surprised people aren't talking about this. For a team to ask for Karlsson and Cowen in return for a player means that we're talking about a top 10, probably even top 5 player in the league. Which would confirm that Murray is discretely searching for a big-time player. Any ideas on who it might be?
Meh. More likely it's just a delusional GM asking for too much.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
means that we're talking about a top 10, probably even top 5 player in the league.

Are you crazy? Top 10 player in the league? You do realize Karlsson is unarguably a top 5-6 player in the league but you would downgrade him and add Cowen FOR A Top 10 player!?!?!?!

It's a list of 3 people here, maybe 4. Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin, and possibly Stamkos.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Are you crazy? Top 10 player in the league? You do realize Karlsson is unarguably a top 5-6 player in the league but you would downgrade him and add Cowen FOR A Top 10 player!?!?!?!

It's a list of 3 people here, maybe 4. Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin, and possibly Stamkos.

I left the door open for a situation where a GM way overvalued their player, even if the player is considered a top 10 player in the league.

What I find more interesting is that Murray is indeed kicking the tires on a mega-blockbuster deal. To have those two names attached to any asking price indicates the level of player we're talking about and is a confirmation that Murray is indeed looking to make a big time move.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
I doubt it was for an elite player like sid or geno. bet it was what shero asked for letang

Actually there was someone who fills a need, our budget, and who was rumored to be available that fits the request better.

Evander Kane.

krapsik

Nov 13, 2009
Estonia
One team trying to make a deal with the Senators asked for defencemen Erik Karlsson and Jared Cowen in return for a player. They politely declined. Doesn't hurt to ask.

If some GM calls Murray and asks for K+C, its mean he is shopping his player, not Murray kicking tires on a mega deal.

To

What I find more interesting is that Murray is indeed kicking the tires on a mega-blockbuster deal. To have those two names attached to any asking price indicates the level of player we're talking about and is a confirmation that Murray is indeed looking to make a big time move.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Probably for the 1st overall pick

Murray said teams were just asking for the moon and not giving real offers for high picks

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
If some GM calls Murray and asks for K+C, its mean he is shopping his player, not Murray kicking tires on a mega deal.

To

Ya, but the gm is obviously shopping around a top player if he is asking for karlsson and cowen. Why would a gm shop around an average type player and ask for those players.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Probably for the 1st overall pick

Murray said teams were just asking for the moon and not giving real offers for high picks

Then the gm asking for karlsson and cowen is really stupid. He expects the sens to give him those players for only a 1st overall pick? More assets than just a 1st overall pick would have to be coming back to the sens. Getting rid of karlsson and cowen will set our defense back a bit.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Even if it was a Crosby type player or Stamkos - what happens to our D? We basically lost two roster D.

And lets say it was just Karlsson for a second.

Murray would probably be too loyal to his draft choice, the contract he negotiated to trade Karlsson without a long talk - and he might not even talk to Karlsson - just hang up the phone.

It's a positive for Ottawa that Murray and the staff are so loyal and good at developing players. We're a smaller market team with competent management - thank goodness.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Even if it was a Crosby type player or Stamkos - what happens to our D? We basically lost two roster D.

And lets say it was just Karlsson for a second.

Murray would probably be too loyal to his draft choice, the contract he negotiated to trade Karlsson without a long talk - and he might not even talk to Karlsson - just hang up the phone.

It's a positive for Ottawa that Murray and the staff are so loyal and good at developing players. We're a smaller market team with competent management - thank goodness.

I don't see the sens ever getting rid of karlsson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->