Detroit Sports*

McNulty

Height: 197 cm / 6'6"

mcnulty460.jpg

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Granted it is a long ways off and I understand it is way too early to speculate where people fit now at ages 18-20. But in all reality we have maybe one dude that could make the pro's in a couple years. It is almost like outside of our first rounder we just straight up mailed in the draft.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
this draft concerns me

it feels like the Wings are turning their back on what's made them successful all these years and drafting almost purely based on size and canadianness

it just feels so....misguided

RedWingsNow*

Is it just me or does it seem like the move to the East is drastically changing the way we draft?

and I don't like it btw....

I don't think it's the move to the east.

You can see a shift away from Euros and a shift away from small players.
You can also see more guys with very little skill being drafted in recent years.

What is that? IMO, it's the GM trying to get on the same page as the coach. Or its the coach having more say in personnel moves.

But the Wings have made their bones with skill players through the years. They've been successful because while other teams preoccupy themselves with 6'4 giants, we win with 5'11 skill guys.

There's a lot to like about teams like the Blues and Kings ....But at the end of the day, teams like Chicago go nowhere without Toews and Kane and Hossa.
The Red Wings would have faltered like the Avs and Stars if Datsyuk and Zetterberg hadn't been drafted.

Gyldenlove

Jun 10, 2013
I love how people honestly believe Detroit drafted Bertuzzi thinking his ceiling was a checking, fringe NHL-er.

Make no mistake - this is a boom/bust (a lot of people wanted that with the 58th if I am recalling correctly), albeit in a different package than people are used to (Pulkkinen etc). Best-case scenario, Bertuzzi becomes a very gritty top 6-er. Worst case he never sees the NHL. But it is very obvious they are trying to fill up the prospect pool with a very varying skill-sets, and that they were pressured to take him at 58th because of other teams´interests in him.

The thing is, saying this guy has offensive upside is clearly a lie. He can't score in the CHL - and historically people who can't score in the CHL, won't score in the NHL, or the AHL or the ECHL. He is a forward unless they want to reposition him, and forward who don't score tend to play bottom 6 roles.

So there are really 2 possibilities if we discount him switching position: A, they believe that he can be a quality bottom 6 contributor at some point in his career, playing either a Kirk Maltby style checking role or maybe more of a Carcillo style aggravator role (the trick being that those players actually scored in junior hockey) - or B, they believe that scouting and projection is wrong and the history of good players producing points is bogus and that a guy who can't score against junior competition can become a scorer against the best players in the world.

I think option A sounds like the most likely (again assuming they don't change his position) so that makes him a bottom 6 forward drafted in the 2nd round of a very deep draft.

Wolverine Wings

#thankyoubasedgod
Feb 27, 2012
Detroit
People last years draft too. And the year before.

See, this could mean the Wings are sky-high on their young guys like Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco and Sproul.

I don't know, and I don't pretend to know. We'll see down the line. Zetterberg wasn't much either.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
One thing I like about our latest giant picked is that supposedly he's a very good skater.

No idea if that scouting report is true, but having a good skating guy at 6'6 patrolling the blue line can't be a bad thing.

One of these giant defensive D-men might be an excellent compliment to a Sproul who's considered all offence.

Ennui

I like our team?
Aug 13, 2008
Living in the past
www.fsb.ru
@ 199th overall DET selects Tyler Mane
6'8'' -- Saskatoon, Canada

TylerMane.jpg

Skating ability is virtually nonexistant, offensive ability is subpar, barely knows what hockey is but he is an absolute giant, has a mean streak a mile wide, and he's Canadian.

SportsballChic

Jun 18, 2013
Toronto
So by my count we got:

1) A lazy kid who isn't Hunter Shinkaruk
2) Some guy, 2 way forward
3) The next Andrew Shaw
4) A guy from Sweden; obviously he'll dominate.
5) A kid with potentially fabulous hair (huge plus), but also a ginger (huge negative), not Swedish (also negative)
6) A future Detroit Lions middle linebacker. Hair +, Skating -
7) The next Chris Pronger (Two can play this game!)

Good draft, or best draft ever?

;) - Yes, I'm totally drinking. Screw it.

Wolverine Wings

#thankyoubasedgod
Feb 27, 2012
Detroit
The thing is, saying this guy has offensive upside is clearly a lie. He can't score in the CHL - and historically people who can't score in the CHL, won't score in the NHL, or the AHL or the ECHL. He is a forward unless they want to reposition him, and forward who don't score tend to play bottom 6 roles.

So there are really 2 possibilities if we discount him switching position: A, they believe that he can be a quality bottom 6 contributor at some point in his career, playing either a Kirk Maltby style checking role or maybe more of a Carcillo style aggravator role (the trick being that those players actually scored in junior hockey) - or B, they believe that scouting and projection is wrong and the history of good players producing points is bogus and that a guy who can't score against junior competition can become a scorer against the best players in the world.

I think option A sounds like the most likely (again assuming they don't change his position) so that makes him a bottom 6 forward drafted in the 2nd round of a very deep draft.
I think he is a boom or bust pick. Either he never plays a game in the league or will turn into a bottom six player that makes life miserable for the other team and a fan favorite. Wings haven't had anybody like that in quite awhile and the only prospect close to that is Callahan.

BF3

Boom Roasted.
Dec 30, 2011
Cbus
@ 199th overall DET selects Tyler Mane
6'8'' -- Saskatoon, Canada

Skating ability is virtually nonexistant, offensive ability is subpar, but he is an absolute giant, has a mean streak a mile wide, and he's Canadian.

28x overager as well. Edgy pick.

TheNextDaigle

Mar 1, 2013

It is not a lie, it is a stretch and of course a large one at that.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
You guys are too much. The complaints used to be that Detroit wasn't drafting enough size and focused on skilled, undersized players. Now they go size with just about every player and you're concerned?

Wolverine Wings

#thankyoubasedgod
Feb 27, 2012
Detroit
You guys are too much. The complaints used to be that Detroit wasn't drafting enough size and focused on skilled, undersized players. Now they go size with just about every player and you're concerned?

You have to have both. Wings need to add size to their pool. Most o the times players have or the other. Guys who have both size and skill are rare and drafted as such.

Too me it looks like with Wheaton, McNulty, McKee and Bodin, the Wings are trying to find a big guy who will develop that coveted skill later on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad