Speculation: 2013 Caps training camp thread

Stewie G

Needed more hitting!
Oct 19, 2009
The wing spot opposite Ribs/Backs on the likely first pp unit should be given as a reward to the hardest working front of net grinder at any point in time until someone reveals themselves as the second coming of Knuble

Unless they want to go all skill in which case

90-19-Ribs
8-52

On a side note Majo is pretty sneaky in front of the net as is MP
MoJo also plays behind the net pretty well. He reminds me of Nick a little bit with his give and go passing from below the goal line. That said, I'd probably move him down to PP2 and put a bigger body (Brouwer/Ward/Laich(shudder)) on PP1.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Let me add Zoids, to move Ovi to point on the PP1 and PP2 the entire year, will we really go the entire year without trying our #1 scoring line, as a line on the PP?

The PP simply has to be top rated, to refuse to move Ovi.

There was a coach I dont remember who, that favored using his normal line combos on the PP. If nothing else is working, it makes sense to me to try.

fedfed

@FedFedRMNB
Oct 28, 2010
Moscow City
Let me add Zoids, to move Ovi to point on the PP1 and PP2 the entire year, will we really go the entire year without trying our #1 scoring line, as a line on the PP?

The PP simply has to be top rated, to refuse to move Ovi.

There was a coach I dont remember who, that favored using his normal line combos on the PP. If nothing else is working, it makes sense to me to try.

European coaches do that. Some even use all 4 lines on PP:help:

Liberati0n*

Ward on that 2nd unit heh.

Is it wrong to want Chimera there instead? Or maybe Mr Fehr.

At least we are trying to get our money's worth out of him. I assume we will park him in front.

Chimera's a pretty terrible PP option. Fehr could fit, but I obviously think Ward should get a shot. He also should get a shot with Ribeiro on the 2nd line.

BCF said:
Marcus Johansson is horrible at offense and should never see PP time. I had to triple check this because its so absurd but he has scored 3 power play goals in over 249 pp minutes.
That's partly because of how he's been used on the PP. It looks like the plan is to keep using him that way, unfortunately. He really has shown some ability to play well in front of the net, and score off of deflections. I'll never forget Game 4 against the Rangers in 2011. With the Capitals down, everyone was up in arms about Boudreau's decision to put Johansson in front of the net. Then this happened:

Look at that ridiculous play by Semin on the first goal. :naughty:

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010
Marcus Johansson is horrible at offense and should never see PP time. I had to triple check this because its so absurd but he has scored 3 power play goals in over 249 pp minutes.

You have know nothing about hockey if you think Johansson is horrible at offense. He had 46 points last year as a 21 year old, under 2 coaches who could give a **** about offense. He's also probably one of the top 5 skaters in the league. I wouldn't be one bit surprised if he put up 40+ points this year, his first season where the coach will be allowing the team to play offense.

Brad Tolliver

Terror Goes Into
Feb 17, 2004
Overtime
That's partly because of how he's been used on the PP. It looks like the plan is to keep using him that way, unfortunately. He really has shown some ability to play well in front of the net, and score off of deflections. I'll never forget Game 4 against the Rangers in 2011. With the Capitals down, everyone was up in arms about Boudreau's decision to put Johansson in front of the net. Then this happened:
Fehr screening in the slot opened up a lane for Johansson to get the deflection. Johansson is only really good for the zone entry for the PP and won't work in front of the net by himself because he is way too soft.

Liberati0n*

Johansson is not even close to a top-5 skater. Chimera is a top-5 skater and he's in another league than MoJo. To be clear, I don't think Johansson should be on the first PP unit. I think he could be useful in front of the net, despite his softness, so if he's going to be on the PP that's where he should be.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Wilson re-assigned to Plymouth. Frees up a spot to claim Aucoin so he can replace Backstrom on PP1.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Yeah but Holtby will be +5 with Ovi pumping in the shorties.

Joking aside, I want to thank everyone for reminding us Tom wasn't ready the moment he invited to camp. I really thought it would be his year.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Hope Alex is in good shape. Sounds like Oates is going to be playing him a ton. PP1 and 2 and on the PK, but in shortened season less to worry about wearing him down

Liberati0n*

I think having less time in between games will have a greater (negative) impact than playing fewer games/a shorter season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad