Speculation: 2013 Caps training camp thread

brs03

Coo coo ca cha!
Jun 2, 2008
Maryland
Ward on that 2nd unit heh.

Is it wrong to want Chimera there instead? Or maybe Mr Fehr.

At least we are trying to get our money's worth out of him. I assume we will park him in front.

Chimmer's speed is less valuable on the PP and his poor hands hurt him more, and while I think Fehr should get some PP looks when he plays he's not exactly a net presence guy so I can understand why things are as they are for now.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Wow, its never a bad time to reflect on that do no wrong Wideman Sarge playoff pairing. Combined what, -25 on a very defensive team.

I literally cheered them making it off the ice even. Sarge made it to the bench!

First time I ever did that in my illustrious fan career.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
im excited to see OV and Green being used as new Bondra Gonchar on the PP point. I for see alot of one times coming off OVs stick. Alot like we saw NJ use Kovy last season

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Chimmer's speed is less valuable on the PP and his poor hands hurt him more, and while I think Fehr should get some PP looks when he plays he's not exactly a net presence guy so I can understand why things are as they are for now.

All true, I was trying to be funny. More a shot at Ward than anything.

But I do think with Chimera's offensive outburst early last year, he earned himself late PP2 time, in part to our PP being lame with him far far away from it.

Ward just didn't impress me one bit. While he patrolled his wing and played even hockey, I saw even less offense skills than Chimera. Who also displayed a lot more effort.

As someone mentioned, he is a place holder for Laich anyways. But if true, getting a left shot out there may help practice for when Laich returns.

brs03

Coo coo ca cha!
Jun 2, 2008
Maryland
Heck, I might give even Crabb a shot there over the others (TO played him there from time to time, no?) just to see what's what. I mean if Joe Motzko can do it...

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
And I see even more bouncing pucks go over his stick and into the neutral zone.

i am with you. lets put ov in front of the net. he's a big body and can screen and get the garbage. then we can get green off the pp altogether and then quickly trade him. if you arent going to use green on the pp, there's no point in having him.

Stewie G

Needed more hitting!
Oct 19, 2009
i am with you. lets put ov in front of the net. he's a big body and can screen and get the garbage. then we can get green off the pp altogether and then quickly trade him. if you arent going to use green on the pp, there's no point in having him.
Puck bouncing over Ovi's stick = trade Green. Can't argue with that logic.

Stewie G

Needed more hitting!
Oct 19, 2009
For no real apparent reason, I'm a big proponent of Ward. I have no problem at all with him on the PP. Taking a look at his numbers in his last year in Nashville, he was 4th in PP goals despite being 14th in PP TOI/G.

I'm also an Eric Fehr fan so I'd like to see him get PP time too.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
Puck bouncing over Ovi's stick = trade Green. Can't argue with that logic.

:laugh: To bring the discourse back to adult levels, I really don't care for Green on the point but I don't have a solution. He has a surprisingly weak one timer. He scored a bajillion power play goals on the cross ice backdoor feed from Backstrom. But I don't anticipate that will ever be undefended again.

Maybe he could qb from the half wall with Carlson on point?

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
@SkyKerstein: #Caps Oates "The Capitals PP has been kind in place for a long time. I've always thought it was correct, so we're not going to change it."

Probably a good thing given a.) the risks with using an umbrella PP and b.) NJD fan criticism of his job running their PP. Though I'm not a fan of two minute #8 PP shifts, esp. if on the point the whole time.

Last edited:

Stewie G

Needed more hitting!
Oct 19, 2009
Haha. To bring the discourse back to adult levels, I really don't care for Green on the point but I don't have a solution. He has a surprisingly weak one timer. He scored a bajillion power play goals on the cross ice backdoor feed from Backstrom. But I don't anticipate that will ever be undefended again.

Maybe he could qb from the half wall with Carlson on point?
I'm all for moving Green off the point. His wrist shot is so much more deadly than his slapper. Putting him on the half wall gives him a much better chance of moving into position for a wrister. Something similar to the role Semin played, but on the opposite side. Worth a shot.

Doesn't Orlov bring the noise with his slapper? I could see him being a good option for RD on PP2 when he's healthy.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I don't think it will take long to move Ovi off the point on PP2.

I mean, if we didn't score on PP1, doing largely the same thing on PP2 will not fix it.

Keeping your best shooter in the same spot trying to play catch with a RH shot RD = largely the same thing.

Green will need to make strides in being more assertive, and quicker in his decisions. Carlson has looked hesitant to me in his PP time. Just "give it to Ovi because i am a noob" has got to end. He is captain america dammit.

I am afraid to look at Ovi's PPG trend over the past 5 years.

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
@SkyKerstein: #Caps Oates "The Capitals PP has been kind in place for a long time. I've always thought it was correct, so we're not going to change it."

Probably a good thing given a.) the risks with using an umbrella PP and b.) NJD criticism of his job running their PP. Though I'm not a fan of two minute #8 PP shifts, esp. if on the point the whole time.

Because Ovechkin and long shifts don't go together, especially on the PP?

Anyways, the NJ PP was above league average and much better than it was the previous year.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
i don't think it will take long to move ovi off the point on pp2.

I mean, if we didn't score on pp1, doing largely the same thing on pp2 will not fix it.

Keeping your best shooter in the same spot trying to play catch with a rh shot rd = largely the same thing.

Green will need to make strides in being more assertive, and quicker in his decisions. Carlson has looked hesitant to me in his pp time. Just "give it to ovi because i am a noob" has got to end. He is captain america dammit.

i am afraid to look at ovi's ppg trend over the past 5 years.

Hopefully he hit bottom and is trending in the right direction again...

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006

Hopefully he hit bottom and is trending in the right direction again...

Trending up!

13 isn't bad but it would sure be nice to get a great PP in place. I bet we didn't draw many cough any penalties last year which has a hand in any goal total stat.

It seems a strong PP goes a long ways in what I consider a low scoring league. But it kind of goes away in the playoffs and teams need to eventually be able to not live off of the refs stupidity.

Zoidberg Jesus

Trotzkyist
Oct 25, 2011
Wow, its never a bad time to reflect on that do no wrong Wideman Sarge playoff pairing. Combined what, -25 on a very defensive team.

I literally cheered them making it off the ice even. Sarge made it to the bench!

First time I ever did that in my illustrious fan career.

I swear, every time they made it off the ice I got that same sensation of relief as when we get a clear on the PK.

OT, I really wish we had a left shot who could play the left point on the PP, if for no other reason than to make it easier to collect pucks along the boards. I'd definitely like to see Orlov get a shot there when he's healthy, if he can bear to be on the left for that long.

Dirtbag59

May 13, 2011
I for one like the PP units. Lots of skill, with some big guys in front of the net.

The wing spot opposite Ribs/Backs on the likely first pp unit should be given as a reward to the hardest working front of net grinder at any point in time until someone reveals themselves as the second coming of Knuble

Unless they want to go all skill in which case

90-19-Ribs
8-52

On a side note Majo is pretty sneaky in front of the net as is MP

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006

OT, I really wish we had a left shot who could play the left point on the PP, if for no other reason than to make it easier to collect pucks along the boards. I'd definitely like to see Orlov get a shot there when he's healthy, if he can bear to be on the left for that long.

After seeing Ovi will probably be at left point for the full 2 for probably another year, I too thought the same thing.

Our best hope is Orlov. But this team has (probably) not had an all situation top LD since Stevens left. And it limits our team.

Coming off a PP, Ovi is gassed. his linemates, twiddling their thumbs, Nick our best center cant go out until he rests. Every single PP all year. Grinders go!

While it may be a luxury it would be nice to have one pair that can play both PP and PK.

I think Hammer can do a little bit offensively but will be in mostly a defensive role.

You can see on Ovi's goal yesterday, Carlson easily pushed the puck up to him. That will probably be a staple play in our ES offense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad