Speculation: 2013 Armchair GM Thread Part VI

FeedingFrenzy

Oct 26, 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer
No, he really shouldn't. Demers would be a horrendous attempt at replacing Pitkanen.

Horrendous is alittle over the top, not ideal sure, but a young PMD with potential and a chance to log big minutes isn't necessarily a bad thing. And cheap too.
And I will post whatever trade I feel like, here,there or anywhere:p:

Like what you came up with. You should try that on the Defenseman to Carolina thread.

I guess I could have. I am one of a few posters that doesn't care what others think about posting trades on a public forum.. If you have a trade idea post it, don't let others sway you not to. After all, its a place to suggest things, irregardless of how goofy or insane it may be to some..Have fun with it.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer
No, he really shouldn't. Demers would be a horrendous attempt at replacing Pitkanen.

Horrendous is alittle over the top, not ideal sure, but a young PMD with potential and a chance to log big minutes isn't necessarily a bad thing. And cheap too.
And I will post whatever trade I feel like, here,there or anywhere:p:

I guess I could have. I am one of a few posters that doesn't care what others think about posting trades on a public forum.. If you have a trade idea post it, don't let others sway you not to. After all, its a place to suggest things, irregardless of how goofy or insane it may be to some..Have fun with it.

If you post that proposal on the wrestling forums, I will have you banned sir! lol Can't have that tomfoolery around those parts! If you want to propose a trade, you're more than capable of doing so but know that the end results are most often bashing the Sharks players as crap or old or responding with asking for Couture or Burns. There are very, very rare instances where it ends well for both sides. lol

However, for me, it's worth a good laugh most of the time.

FeedingFrenzy

Oct 26, 2009
If you post that proposal on the wrestling forums, I will have you banned sir! lol Can't have that tomfoolery around those parts! If you want to propose a trade, you're more than capable of doing so but know that the end results are most often bashing the Sharks players as crap or old or responding with asking for Couture or Burns. There are very, very rare instances where it ends well for both sides. lol

However, for me, it's worth a good laugh most of the time.

word of the day :handclap:

Agree it turns into a cat fight, but as you said, a good laugh can be had:cheers:

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
You're right. You are perfectly entitled to do whatever you want. But my strong advice is against trying to trade Demers on the Trade Forums because it always ends up a mess.

Kevy D

Sep 29, 2009
Moon Base
For three scoring lines, would these be effective pairs with complementary wingers and pluggers for a regular season winning group on offense?
88-19-__
12-39-__
13-8-__
__-__-__

A mix of Kennedy, Hertl, Wingels, Sheppard, or even Havlat and Dezzi seems like a good pool of players to fit anywhere on those wings for an effective offense with those anchoring pairs. Barring injuries to the pairs up top, the Sharks have a pretty mean and fast top 9. I'm also excited to see Torres with a familiar group, and hopefully a full 82 games in Teal.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I agree about desi... But im on the fence about Shep... He might finally put it all together--hopefully

Shep definitely showed that he still had the skill to play a top 9 role last year. He's kinda had a bummer of a career. Rushed and misused then huge injury that keeps him off the ice for about two years forces him to relearn how to skate. Just really sucky that he could've been a lot better.

SJeasy

Feb 3, 2005
San Jose
Shep definitely showed that he still had the skill to play a top 9 role last year. He's kinda had a bummer of a career. Rushed and misused then huge injury that keeps him off the ice for about two years forces him to relearn how to skate. Just really sucky that he could've been a lot better.

He wasn't good in Minny. His skating is/was that bad. The injury didn't help, but he was a marginal player at the outset. If he wasn't a high pick to start with, he would still be in the AHL. I can pick out other guys around the league who have similar stories and rarely do they make an impact. Some of the best of the kind top out at 3rd line roles and most of those guys skate better than Sheppard ever has (Cleary, Malhotra, Torres, etc.). I'd rather have someone like Ryan Vesce around who has worked hard and was never highly regarded.

FeedingFrenzy

Oct 26, 2009
He wasn't good in Minny. His skating is/was that bad. The injury didn't help, but he was a marginal player at the outset. If he wasn't a high pick to start with, he would still be in the AHL. I can pick out other guys around the league who have similar stories and rarely do they make an impact. Some of the best of the kind top out at 3rd line roles and most of those guys skate better than Sheppard ever has (Cleary, Malhotra, Torres, etc.). I'd rather have someone like Ryan Vesce around who has worked hard and was never highly regarded.

So what your saying is that Minnesota's scouts were clueless?? He obviously had some skills/skating ability to warrant being drafted in the top 10 (9th). IMO, part of his problems was playing for Jacque Demers and his system. Who were his linemates his first 2 years? Minnesota has never been an offensive juggernaut.The injury didnt help matters but to say he was a marginal player I don't think is a fair assesment..

SJeasy

Feb 3, 2005
San Jose
So what your saying is that Minnesota's scouts were clueless?? He obviously had some skills/skating ability to warrant being drafted in the top 10 (9th). IMO, part of his problems was playing for Jacque Demers and his system. Who were his linemates his first 2 years? Minnesota has never been an offensive juggernaut.The injury didnt help matters but to say he was a marginal player I don't think is a fair assesment..

It's the traditional hands/vision trumps skating argument for the scouts (not just SJ's scouts). When they get to the NHL and can't skate well, those others skills have to be overwhelming. His aren't/weren't. The issue leads to a lot of busts. It wasn't Demers, it was Lemaire and I did watch Sheppard during his stay in Minny. If anything, I would add hockey IQ to his shortcomings. He was a day late and dollar short on a lot of plays and it is a good reason why he wasn't given more ice time then. Too bad if you don't think it is fair, but I think time will support my evaluation.

A large number of first round busts among forwards fall to the issue of skating.

nerdybeard

Oct 1, 2011
Oakland, CA
Stepan in NY apparently getting offer 3M/yr for ~3 years, when he wants... 3.5M?? Man that guy can get so much more. I wonder if we see an offer sheet extended his way with NYR's cap issues right now..

Can't say I can think of any way to make that work for us, but man such a bright young guy who should see USA Olympic roster time. What a steal if NYR locks em up for under 3.5M per.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I'd easily give Stepan Couture's contract and I wouldn't look back. Kid's such a stud. I'd trade Marleau to make it happen cap-wise, and y'all know how much I love Marleau. Trade Marleau for a 1st, and then give Stepan an offersheet with a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd as comp.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
That would be a waste of a roster player. NY would match it.
(I know it's super hypothetical)

That's why if it was actually considered at some point, it isn't now. If they wanted to, it would've been done a lot earlier on. If they offer one and get it signed and NY doesn't match, they'd have about 10 days of the off-season cushion to make the moves needed to get under the regular season upper limit. Certainly could be done but very much puts them in a bad spot for it. I would sincerely doubt their ability to get a 1st round pick back from anyone that they decided to move. And since NY would have 7 days, they'd probably milk it just to put the screws to the Sharks.

Last edited:

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002

Agreed. Ultimately, during his time in Minny, Sheppard did nothing to prove that he deserved anything more than a bottom-line role, if that.

In today's NHL especially, skating ability will help make up for a lot of deficiencies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad