Speculation: 2013 Armchair GM Thread Part VI

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
You should break the categories into 5, 6 and 7. Any guy who is pulling $6.8mil should be in the $7mil category. Quite a few of your 6's are 7's. Most of the 7's have Vezina nominations at least. Effectively $4mil is a prove it contract for a guy with a full year's experience.

Yea I didn't really know how to split it up but I think only Rinne and Rask are actually making $7 mil. There are a bunch who make in the high $6 mil and the high $5 mil too but I didn't feel like rounding up since it might make start becoming a bit subjective. Personally, I don't think Rask has any business making $7 million and I think that Boston made a mistake.

SJeasy

Feb 3, 2005
San Jose
Yea I didn't really know how to split it up but I think only Rinne and Rask are actually making $7 mil. There are a bunch who make in the high $6 mil and the high $5 mil too but I didn't feel like rounding up since it might make start becoming a bit subjective. Personally, I don't think Rask has any business making $7 million and I think that Boston made a mistake.
I promise that I won't pick nits on round ups.

I am pretty sure that it is Rinne, Rask, Miller, Lundqvist and Ward on the 7's. IMO, Quick, Rinne and Lundqvist are the only ones truly worth $7mil (my definition). I can see giving it to Miller and Ward where they play behind systems that are not conducive to goalie numbers and they usually play exceptionally well.

BTW, Rask picked up the Thomas style, very aggressive. It doesn't work if you don't have Chara on the team along with the highly defensive style. Boston hyper collapses the dmen to the corners of the net.

Vaasa

Aug 23, 2006
Sacramento, CA
Ah yes. Achievement means nothing. No, value comes down to age and draft position....

Read the rest of the post. I said it does not make sense to pay ANY goalie over $4 mil. There are simply too many good ones out there. So achievement matters, but not if you are asking for more than $4 mil. If they want more than that, the Sharks should let them go to some other team that will come to regret that contract.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Read the rest of the post. I said it does not make sense to pay ANY goalie over $4 mil. There are simply too many good ones out there. So achievement matters, but not if you are asking for more than $4 mil. If they want more than that, the Sharks should let them go to some other team that will come to regret that contract.

Well, in reality, there aren't that many good options out there under $4 mil. If you look at all the goaltenders who are under $4 mil, there's only maybe 3 or 4 established goalies who aren't on ELC, unproven, backups, or over 35. Your best bet for talent is to poach a goalie from overseas.

Right now, the only goalies who are available that have some NHL experience are Frazee, Hedberg, Bryzgalov, Garon, Theodore, and Dipietro.

The guys who got less than $4 million are Backstrom, Nabokov, Fasth, Emery, Giguerre, etc. Lots of old guys and backups for the most part. And I wouldn't want to be like Philly where their goalies are Emery and Steve Mason or Tampa with Bishop and Lindback.

We got lucky with Niemi, he was only meant to be a member of the finnish tandem but Nitty decided to get injured and Niemi managed to play well enough to be the starter after having an abysmal beginning to his season.

There just aren't very many options that can be had for $4 million and the market prices have either been high or low for a free agent goalie. High for starters and very low for others. The guys around $4 million are guys who are on prove it contracts.

Hatrick Marleau

Just Win The Game
May 16, 2012
I havent started the pro-cess just yet. camp is a few days out still

No excuses! We have a pro-cess to keep up with in the offseason to be ready when called upon. You failed! Unacceptable but I'm going to play you anyway because you got grit bro.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Nolan. I hope he keeps his good play up too. Yet Im actually closer to siding with Vaasa then others, I'd go 5mil and no more for my goalie, with the rising cap it's not what 5 mil is now, 6-7mil would be a deal breaker for me, as I think solid goalies can win cups, and id like to spend the extra mil or two on an elite forward or some better depth over a great goalie.

Now obviously if we have no solid goalies ready to step up, which we don't know because we never get to see our backups, or if there are none to be had via fa when his contract is up, then the decision would be a lot harder to let him go.

I don't think you need a great goalie to win a cup, but you almost always need a goalie playing like a great goalie to win a cup.

The last time a team won a cup when the goalie wasn't a major contributor to the team's win was Chicago in 2010. And even then, Niemi was dynamite in the WCF and had the fortune of facing some really weak goaltending.

FeedingFrenzy

Oct 26, 2009

This in my opinion would be low-balling Nemo should he have another Vezina type year.. I think we cant base a strike shortened season as Nemo's "turn-around year". He needs to go a full season and win the Cup(or make the SC finals at the least) THEN play his last year of his current deal with similar numbers to justify 6mil+ contract. Who is Nemo's agent?? What kind of Shark will we be dealing with?? That needs to be factored in as well..

I havent started the pro-cess just yet. camp is a few days out still

:laugh:

crunchyblack*

Came across this post on Sniped. Seems more like fan type wishes, but while things are slow:

The Case for Milan Hejduk:
www.sniped.ca/?p=366

Pretty cool idea and I actually really like Milan too.

The whole Havlat situation is just too complicated to know wtf is going to happen with him either way when the season begins though lol.

Nolan11

Mar 5, 2013
Anyone else pondering why Brunner remains unsigned? In my over hopeful moments, its because his fellow Swiss leaguers (Thornton and Couture) convinced him to wait for the Sharks to clear some cap room, so that he can sign a 1-2 year bridge contract to play RW in our top 6. Now if we could only move some salary for futures.... (Fantasy land, I know, but wouldn't that be a sweet pickup?)

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
The prevailing notion seems to be that he tried to cash in on this half a season and its not going well for him.

with the little options we have to move cap and the amount wed be able to give him, hed be signed already. so my guess is he goes back to europe.

Nolan11

Mar 5, 2013
The prevailing notion seems to be that he tried to cash in on this half a season and its not going well for him.

with the little options we have to move cap and the amount wed be able to give him, hed be signed already. so my guess is he goes back to europe.

Salary clearing fantasy: Havlat + 2nd (pitt) + condition 3rd if Havlat gets bought out or fails to play 82 games in 2 seasons to NJ for Urbom + Wedgewood

Sign Brunner to two year, 3.5M cap (leaving us enough cap space to bring Urbom up if we need.

You would think Brunner would jump at the chance to play on Thornton's wing in the NHL.

Now, back to reality. Work is calling!

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
if SJ decides to go pure north-south/transition hockey, i can see havlat sitting out until we can move him.

but he does have a role to play if healthy, and thats why i was so excited that we potentially invited wellwood. wouldve instantly plused up on playmaker types...but that doesnt seem the direction they want to go. which doesnt mean that they wont win, i just wonder where it leaves havlat.

SJeasy

Feb 3, 2005
San Jose
if SJ decides to go pure north-south/transition hockey, i can see havlat sitting out until we can move him.

but he does have a role to play if healthy, and thats why i was so excited that we potentially invited wellwood. wouldve instantly plused up on playmaker types...but that doesnt seem the direction they want to go. which doesnt mean that they wont win, i just wonder where it leaves havlat.

If Havlat is healthy, he should thrive on transition hockey. He did it very well in Minny for a short time playing with Latendresse (got Latendresse a big contract). Havlat won't do well if they want a pure D&C game. His strength is hanging onto the puck, generating clean entries and golden opportunities.

Last edited:

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
If Havlat is healthy, he should thrive on transition hockey. He did it very well in Minny for a short time playing with Latendresse (got Latendresse a big contract). Havlat won't do well if they want a pure D&C game. His strength is hanging onto the puck, generating clean entries and golden opportunities.

yes, but i think even tmac had said hes lost a step (after the injury in the playoffs). i dont know that he will be as effective anymore. especially given this most recent injury.

SJeasy

Feb 3, 2005
San Jose
yes, but i think even tmac had said hes lost a step (after the injury in the playoffs). i dont know that he will be as effective anymore. especially given this most recent injury.

It's possible, but I think TM's statement was premature considering the injury (I suspect it existed long before it was declared). I also don't trust Havlat's own assessments either. We all have to wait to find out.

Sharksfan83

Jul 27, 2010
Havlat is easy to deal with.. Place him on LTIR until he is set to go, then send him to Worc for a conditioning stint of 2 weeks, watch him get injured and then place him on LTIR again. Rinse and repeat until contract runs out.

crunchyblack*

*if he can get off the bench and over the boards safely

Nolan11

Mar 5, 2013
Anyone else bored with the main trade boards? I have been pondering possible cap clearing scenarios and wondering if we want to try one or some of these on the main boards to spark conversation (don't hold back, prefer to be ripped here than on the main boards. At least here we all want to make this team better):

Havlat (@ 4.0 M, 1 M cap retained) + pitt 2014 2nd for futures (NJ maybe?)

or Boyle (@ 4.0 M, 2.67 M cap retained) for a Top 9 young winger + pick (Sens?)

or Demers + Burish + pitt 2014 2nd for futures or a Top 9 young winger (idk, Canes?)

Pavelski + Burish for Eberle? (cap clearing for next year)

any other 3.0 M+ cap clearing scenarios that come to mind? If the return on any of the above is indeed futures (good AHL prospects or picks), assume we win the Brunner sweepstakes and use the space to sign the kid for 3.0-3.5 M.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
Anyone else bored with the main trade boards? I have been pondering possible cap clearing scenarios and wondering if we want to try one or some of these on the main boards to spark conversation (don't hold back, prefer to be ripped here than on the main boards. At least here we all want to make this team better):

or Demers + Burish + pitt 2014 2nd for futures or a Top 9 young winger (idk, Canes?)

any other 3.0 M+ cap clearing scenarios that come to mind? If the return on any of the above is indeed futures (good AHL prospects or picks), assume we win the Brunner sweepstakes and use the space to sign the kid for 3.0-3.5 M.

No trades are worth discussing until after camp.

And Pavelski? :facepalm:

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012

since we wouldnt likely get anything higher than that 2nd rounder back, doesnt seem worth it here.

best part of kennedy/torres? we dont need top 9 wingers and more. since that package doesnt get us a legit top 6 RW, probably no need.

if we are just doing futures in this deal, keep the 2nd. neither demers nor burish will return anything higher than a 3rd if we are lucky.

id say we arent really sure what the biggest needs are for us, but id say that none of these trades would address them. if i was just looking at the team on paper, id say we lack blue line offense, as even if marleau/couture dont have a playmaker they will still score, as will thornton/burns pavs/torres/kennedy. im not too worried about our forward corp.

so even if demers seems unlikely to do anything, you have to get a look at him in camp/pre-season because if he can replicate his euro stint we might be able to use him.

as for this one, the cap is going up next year so no worries imo. you might be able to give up burish to them for free though :laugh:

just my opinion of course.

Hatrick Marleau

Just Win The Game
May 16, 2012

Why would we want to sign Brunner? and for 3.5???

hockfan1991

Jun 29, 2010

Demers and a second for futures? Really

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad