2013-2014 Hartford Wolf Pack/Greenville Road Warriors Thread Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I can't say for sure, but I imagine that the Rangers have Noreau down in the ECHL to get top minutes, while Stamler is up here getting the least TOI of the D (at least that's what it looks like according to my viewing - I don't actually have the stats).

This. He needs to play. Another player where it made no sense to send him back to Juniors for an overage season. He is physically ready as far as the rough portion of the game. He needs to work on his footwork and lateral mobility and get minutes.

St. Croix was the exact opposite. He needs time to physically develop. Sending him back to Juniors would have been pointless as his skill is heads and shoulders above most players in Juniors and has been for well over a year.

Similar situations, different reasoning.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
I suspect Noreau simply can't skate well enough for the AHL. This is based on what he's done in preseason, as well as his lack of points in the ECHL. We all know that he's a defensive player, but someone who can see the ice well, knows how to skate and how to make a good first pass out of the zone will run up some points.

Nothing big, but on occasion you'll get a secondary assist because you sent the puck out of your zone to a guy who moved into the offensive zone and passed it to the scorer. Or while on offense, yes you are on the blue line, but if you can see the ice well, you can occasionally send the puck to someone who scores.

That said, Sammy The Bull is presently ahead of where Dale Purinton was at the same age. The Bull is taller, a better fighter, scored more in juniors, didn't need to get sent back for an overager season. Purinton needed another half a season in the ECHL after his overager year, so if The Bull can get called up to the AHL at some point before the end of the 2014 calendar year, he'll be ahead of Purinton.

Purinton wound up spending 4 years in the NHL as a #7 defenseman. If The Bull can do the same, he'll make about $4 (or $2 after taxes), which is good enough to give him a nice start financially if he saves the money instead of wasting it.

Potentially he could be slightly better than Purinton and establish himself a role as a bruising #6 defenseman. This would be great for the Rangers, and would set him up financially for life with probably about $5 after taxes for his years of NHL service.

I think that's the limit of what The Bull should be looking at. Expecting more than a #6 defenseman out of him is not realistic, he'd have to significantly exceed expectations for that to happen.

Punxrocknyc19*

I suspect Noreau simply can't skate well enough for the AHL. This is based on what he's done in preseason, as well as his lack of points in the ECHL. We all know that he's a defensive player, but someone who can see the ice well, knows how to skate and how to make a good first pass out of the zone will run up some points.

Nothing big, but on occasion you'll get a secondary assist because you sent the puck out of your zone to a guy who moved into the offensive zone and passed it to the scorer. Or while on offense, yes you are on the blue line, but if you can see the ice well, you can occasionally send the puck to someone who scores.

That said, Sammy The Bull is presently ahead of where Dale Purinton was at the same age. The Bull is taller, a better fighter, scored more in juniors, didn't need to get sent back for an overager season. Purinton needed another half a season in the ECHL after his overager year, so if The Bull can get called up to the AHL at some point before the end of the 2014 calendar year, he'll be ahead of Purinton.

Purinton wound up spending 4 years in the NHL as a #7 defenseman. If The Bull can do the same, he'll make about $4 (or $2 after taxes), which is good enough to give him a nice start financially if he saves the money instead of wasting it.

Potentially he could be slightly better than Purinton and establish himself a role as a bruising #6 defenseman. This would be great for the Rangers, and would set him up financially for life with probably about $5 after taxes for his years of NHL service.

I think that's the limit of what The Bull should be looking at. Expecting more than a #6 defenseman out of him is not realistic, he'd have to significantly exceed expectations for that to happen.

i hope he is more like Eric Cairns who played over 400 games in the NHL, over someone like Dale Purinton who played under 200 and was not that good...

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
Greenville are up on Toledo 6-0 halfway through the 3rd, MSC has 2 goals and an assist, Jean has a goal too.

Sam has no points again, but only two defensemen in this blowout have points, kinda strange.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
i hope he is more like Eric Cairns who played over 400 games in the NHL, over someone like Dale Purinton who played under 200 and was not that good...

Yeah, a Cairns-like career would be great for Sammy The Bull. Cairns spent 8 seasons in the NHL as a 6/7 defenseman. That might be The Bull's limit.

However, Cairns was ahead of The Bull at the same age. He put up significantly better stats in juniors, he barely spent any time in the ECHL. I distinctly remember Cairns as a prospect because the year he joined Bingo was the first year I began following prospects (got internet and subscribed to the Blueshirt Bulletin). At the time, 20 years ago, Cairns was viewed as a superior prospect to what Noreau is right now.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Greenville are up on Toledo 6-0 halfway through the 3rd, MSC has 2 goals and an assist, Jean has a goal too.

Sam has no points again, but only two defensemen in this blowout have points, kinda strange.

Missiaen played well. Toledo actually outshot Greenville 41-38, but Miss made 40 stops, while the Toledo goalie was pulled.

St. Croix continues to dominate. He now has 38 points in 35 games, and outside of an 8 game cold streak, he's scoring at 1.37 points per game. Not only is he too good to have been sent back to the juniors for an overager season, he looks to be too good for the ECHL as well. He also looks to have improved a decent amount since the start of the season. Very much want to see what he can do in the AHL.

odhaguy

Aug 6, 2007
Next year's goaltenders

Any NHL or NCAA free agent goaltenders the Rangers might be considering for Harttford for next year?

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Any NHL or NCAA free agent goaltenders the Rangers might be considering for Harttford for next year?

No idea on that. But they definitely should be signing a goalie. Miss and Stajan aren't going to get it done.

Always a great asset to have.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
No idea on that. But they definitely should be signing a goalie. Miss and Stajan aren't going to get it done.

Always a great asset to have.
Skapski will be 20 next season. He's having a great season in the WHL. Sign him and someone like Richard Bachman maybe?

Osminator

Dec 28, 2005
Vienna, Austria
Skapski will be 20 next season. He's having a great season in the WHL. Sign him and someone like Richard Bachman maybe?

Totally agree, no more experiments a la Stajecer, Malcolm and Missiaen please... Have Skapski turn pro in the AHL and sign A SOLID VET in goal, someone who will dominate the AHL and can get called up to the NHL on an emergency basis and not embarrass himself and the team :handclap:

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Totally agree, no more experiments a la Stajecer, Malcolm and Missiaen please... Have Skapski turn pro in the AHL and sign A SOLID VET in goal, someone who will dominate the AHL and can get called up to the NHL on an emergency basis and not embarrass himself and the team :handclap:

Well, Talbot was an experiment, and he worked out well.

I think the team would be fine signing Skapski, re-signing Grumet-Morris as the primary starter, and maybe picking up another college free agent. As long as the Pack have at least one solid veteran, I think they'll be good to go.

Also, I think it's too early to write off Malcolm. He was fine at the ECHL level, and we didn't really get to see what he could do in the AHL. He may emerge as a viable option next season as well.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere

I think the team would be fine signing Skapski, re-signing Grumet-Morris as the primary starter, and maybe picking up another college free agent. As long as the Pack have at least one solid veteran, I think they'll be good to go.

Also, I think it's too early to write off Malcolm. He was fine at the ECHL level, and we didn't really get to see what he could do in the AHL. He may emerge as a viable option next season as well.

Liked him when he was in Yale, still like him now. He really could be a viable option we just got to keep him around.

I'd say sign Skapski, sign a solid vet (either Grumet-Morris or someone like him will do the trick), and bring in 1 or 2 college/junior/euro FA's. Malcolm deserves a shot so I would sign him as well. Missiaen and Stajcer are no more in my mind.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007

Amazing how nobody remembers players like Talbot, Girardi and Stralman when talking about experiments. People just whine about those who failed as if they cost us anything. I will sign a thousand Tommy Grants if it means getting one Girardi at the end.

I agree. Could be Dov or LeNeveu

Malcolm is a year older (almost to a day) than Missiaen. At least Miss had a good streak in the AHL late last season, what has Malcolm showed us?

Even now in the ECHL, Miss is having a better season than Malcolm. Miss has 2.49 and .927, while Malcolm is at 2.74 and .915. Had Malcolm been 20 years old, I'd give him a break, but the guy is 25. Had Miss been a tremendous goalie who's too good for the ECHL and was sent down only because of the numbers game, I'd also give Malcolm a break.

But Miss sucks. His terrible play forced the Rangers to sign not one, but two goalies because they couldn't trust him (or Malcolm, for that matter) to be even the backup. If you are worse than Missian and you are a year older, even though you may have less pro experience, I don't trust you to do anything, not even as an AHL backup. I just don't believe that 25 year olds, no matter how little pro experience they have, can make a leap from being just ok in the lower league to being ok in the higher league. ECHL is where Malcolm will spend his career.

Stajcer is no more in my mind.

At least Stajcer is 2+ years younger than Malcolm, there's an off-chance of an unexpected breakthrough. I'd say he's a more legit prospect for either NHL (extremely unlikely) or the AHL.

Last edited:

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Amazing how nobody remembers players like Talbot, Girardi and Stralman when talking about experiments. People just whine about those who failed as if they cost us anything. I will sign a thousand Tommy Grants if it means getting one Girardi at the end.

Absolutely. Take those fliers. So Grant is bombing out. The more I watch Allen, the more I think he's got a very real shot of being a top 4 defenseman in the league. He's smooth, unflappable and has an underrated breakout pass.

I agree. Could be Dov or LeNeveu

Also agreed. I was advocating a few pages back that they use a couple of SPCs on vets for Hartford, including one for a vet goalie. Grummet-Morris would be my choice, but LeNevue would be good too, if Dov isn't amenable for whatever reason.

Malcolm is a year older (almost to a day) than Missiaen. At least Miss had a good streak in the AHL late last season, what has Malcolm showed us?

Even now in the ECHL, Miss is having a better season than Malcolm. Miss has 2.49 and .927, while Malcolm is at 2.74 and .915. Had Malcolm been 20 years old, I'd give him a break, but the guy is 25. Had Miss been a tremendous goalie who's too good for the ECHL and was sent down only because of the numbers game, I'd also give Malcolm a break.

But Miss sucks. His terrible play forced the Rangers to sign not one, but two goalies because they couldn't trust him (or Malcolm, for that matter) to be even the backup. If you are worse than Missian and you are a year older, even though you may have less pro experience, I don't trust you to do anything, not even as an AHL backup. I just don't believe that 25 year olds, no matter how little pro experience they have, can make a leap from being just ok in the lower league to being ok in the higher league. ECHL is where Malcolm will spend his career.

Miss really does suck. I imagine he's able to use his size effectively at the lower levels, but once he gets to the A, he's forced to move side-to-side and he just falls apart.

As for Malcolm, I don't want to say he's got a ton of upside, but I think you're writing him off just a tad too quick. He hasn't even been in the organization for a full season yet. Let's not call his goose cooked until he's had at least 2 or 3 training camps with the team. After all, it took Cam (granted he was younger) 4 years in the organization to pull it all together.

At least Stajcer is 2+ years younger than Malcolm, there's an off-chance of an unexpected breakthrough. I'd say he's a more legit prospect for either NHL (extremely unlikely) or the AHL.

I put them in about the same category for the reason I stated above (Stajcer has an extra year in the organization, despite being younger). Both have an outside chance of being useful, but I don't have high hopes for either.

Skapper, on the other hand, is really starting to pique my interest. I know nyr2k2 has been beating his drum for a couple of months now - was there anyone who was a big fan when we picked him? If so, great call.

TheRightWay

May 16, 2012
Skapper, on the other hand, is really starting to pique my interest. I know nyr2k2 has been beating his drum for a couple of months now - was there anyone who was a big fan when we picked him? If so, great call.

I think I remember one of the Rangers bloggers who watches him interviewing Skapski and heaping a lot of praise on him earlier in the season.

Anyway, I think we'll see a few new names in the goaltending department. Likely one of the top European or NCAA free agents.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
I was a fan only because of his name, which is solid. Knew nothing about him otherwise. :laugh:

I think I remember one of the Rangers bloggers who watches him interviewing Skapski and heaping a lot of praise on him earlier in the season.

Anyway, I think we'll see a few new names in the goaltending department. Likely one of the top European or NCAA free agents.

I went back and looked at the thread after he was drafted.

Pure. Gold.

First a bunch of fantastic 1-liners before he was picked in anticipation of a no-name pick and then a lot of griping about how there were better players on the board. If he keeps this up, Bluenote will owe Skapper (and Ryan McGill and Gordie Clark) an apology. ;)

EDIT: here's the thread: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1458379&highlight=skapski

Last edited:

TheRightWay

May 16, 2012

Pure. Gold.

First a bunch of fantastic 1-liners before he was picked in anticipation of a no-name pick and then a lot of griping about how there were better players on the board.

If he keeps this up, Bluenote will owe Skapper (and Ryan McGill and Gordie Clark) an apology. ;)

I found the article in case anyone is interested. From September.

http://www.nyrangersblog.com/2013-a...i-has-high-expectations-for-himself-team.html

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
As for Malcolm, I don't want to say he's got a ton of upside, but I think you're writing him off just a tad too quick. He hasn't even been in the organization for a full season yet. Let's not call his goose cooked until he's had at least 2 or 3 training camps with the team. After all, it took Cam (granted he was younger) 4 years in the organization to pull it all together.

The number of years in the organization is less important than the guy's age. How long he was a Ranger/Packer/Warrior doesn't effect his body development, speed, quickness, talent.

It does take a little time to adjust to the pros, but it's not 2-3 years. Talbot didn't take 4 years to adjust to the pros, he took 4 years to get good enough to play in the NHL. Malcolm's time to adjust to the pros was last year and his adjustment left him as a backup in the ECHL as an almost-25 year old.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
If he keeps this up, Bluenote will owe Skapper (and Ryan McGill and Gordie Clark) an apology. ;) ]

'If he keeps this up...' , always the key to me ;)

Good streak is nice, but let's not go overboard here, still very early and goalies are often the most unpredictable at this age.

At the end of the day it was a 6th round pick, rather them pick their friends kids there than in the top rounds.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville

Pure. Gold.

First a bunch of fantastic 1-liners before he was picked in anticipation of a no-name pick and then a lot of griping about how there were better players on the board. If he keeps this up, Bluenote will owe Skapper (and Ryan McGill and Gordie Clark) an apology. ;)

EDIT: here's the thread: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1458379&highlight=skapski

I don't see the usefulness of calling out posters for their critique of draft picks in hindsight. I mean yeah on one hand we should all just sit somewhere right in the middle on the picks because outside of a few players each draft, it's hard to be making any predictions. However we all have our bias and opinions when it comes to the picks, and sometimes you're right, sometimes you're wrong. It's also a little early to be doing this for last year's picks.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
I don't see the usefulness of calling out posters for their critique of draft picks in hindsight. I mean yeah on one hand we should all just sit somewhere right in the middle on the picks because outside of a few players each draft, it's hard to be making any predictions. However we all have our bias and opinions when it comes to the picks, and sometimes you're right, sometimes you're wrong. It's also a little early to be doing this for last year's picks.

Oh, c'mon. I'm not saying anything about the kid other than it's okay to be a little excited about his start. And, as for the comments about the draft thread, I was just having a bit of fun, particularly with BN (which is how he appears to have taken it).

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
The number of years in the organization is less important than the guy's age. How long he was a Ranger/Packer/Warrior doesn't effect his body development, speed, quickness, talent.

It does take a little time to adjust to the pros, but it's not 2-3 years. Talbot didn't take 4 years to adjust to the pros, he took 4 years to get good enough to play in the NHL. Malcolm's time to adjust to the pros was last year and his adjustment left him as a backup in the ECHL as an almost-25 year old.

Again, I don't have ridiculously high hopes for Malcolm, but they signed him as a 24 year old. He's played in all of 22 pro hockey games to this point. Let's give him a bit more runway before we write him off for good.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
'If he keeps this up...' , always the key to me ;)

Good streak is nice, but let's not go overboard here, still very early and goalies are often the most unpredictable at this age.

At the end of the day it was a 6th round pick, rather them pick their friends kids there than in the top rounds.

Oh, I hear ya. I'm not predicting the Vezina for Skapski just yet, but it is quite an encouraging start.

And to be fair about the "friend's kid" thing, this is also how late round gems sometimes get discovered. It needn't necessarily be a case of pure nepotism; rather, it could be an inside tip along the lines of "Gordie, we got this kid Skapski here. I know his numbers are mediocre, but ever since he abandoned the butterfly, he's been unreal. You gotta come check him out - you'll thank me."

Either way, as I wrote above, I'm mostly just giving you a hard time. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad