2013-2014 Hartford Wolf Pack/Greenville Road Warriors Thread Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Well, no midweek games until the very end, but here's their schedule during the Rangers break. I plan on catching a few of these.

Fri 2/14 7PM @ Springfield
Sat 2/15 7PM vs Manchester
Sun 2/16 3PM @ Providence
Fri 2/21 7PM vs Bridgeport
Sat 2/22 7PM @ Springfield
Tue 2/25 7PM @ Portland

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Whew, that was a long week. Now for a 3-game 'Pack weekend. I will definitely be catching at least two of them.

Sad to see that no 'Pack players made the AHL all-star squad, BTW.

Johnson or Syvret would be the most deserving. One of them probably should have made it. Likely the latter of the two.

The AHL should have a prospects game as well. Guys like Lindberg and Kristo could get some action. There might actually be some real demand for a game like that, from prospect-hounds like those here. If we sent Aaron Johnson, for instance, would anyone Rangers fans care? I mean the majority of Rangers fans, who are only Hartford fans because they're our affiliates.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Johnson or Syvret would be the most deserving. One of them probably should have made it. Likely the latter of the two.

The AHL should have a prospects game as well. Guys like Lindberg and Kristo could get some action. There might actually be some real demand for a game like that, from prospect-hounds like those here. If we sent Aaron Johnson, for instance, would anyone Rangers fans care? I mean the majority of Rangers fans, who are only Hartford fans because they're our affiliates.

Great idea. I, for one, would have about 100x more interest in that game than the actual NHL all-star game.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
The AHL should have a prospects game as well. Guys like Lindberg and Kristo could get some action. There might actually be some real demand for a game like that, from prospect-hounds like those here.

Yeah, an All Star game for rookies and sophomores. Something like a 125 pro games limit and no older than 24 years old. Would be good for scouts too as it would allow all the top pro prospects to go up against each other.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Great idea. I, for one, would have about 100x more interest in that game than the actual NHL all-star game.

Yep. Remember the NHL Young Stars Game? That, and the skills competition, I watched. The actual All-Star game itself sucks. They should bring that back. And the AHL should start one up, too.

Yeah, a game for rookies and sophomores. Something like a 125 pro games limit and no older than 24 years old. Would be good for scouts too as it would allow all the top pro prospects to go up against each other.

Exactly. Baseball does that top prospects game, whatever it's called. I wish we could do the same.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Yep. Remember the NHL Young Stars Game? That, and the skills competition, I watched. The actual All-Star game itself sucks. They should bring that back. And the AHL should start one up, too.

A lot of what the NHL does isn't for hardcore fans who will stay no matter what. It is to bring in new fans or to get the occasional fans more into it. The NHL All Star Game achieves that. The AHL Skills Competition would not. The average person would look at you funny if you said you are going to watch minor leaguers show how hard they can shoot.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
There was still some quality young talent in the AHL All Star game. Pirri looked very good. Shocked he can't find a fit on that 2nd line with Chicago.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
There was still some quality young talent in the AHL All Star game. Pirri looked very good. Shocked he can't find a fit on that 2nd line with Chicago.

I'm just speculating, but it's got to be that he's just SO slight - and can get by on pure skill in the AHL, but not in the NHL. A Corey Locke kinda deal. I haven't seen him play, but given his numbers and his height/weight, it would be a pretty logical conclusion.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
A lot of what the NHL does isn't for hardcore fans who will stay no matter what. It is to bring in new fans or to get the occasional fans more into it. The NHL All Star Game achieves that. The AHL Skills Competition would not. The average person would look at you funny if you said you are going to watch minor leaguers show how hard they can shoot.

You seem to be very knowledgeable about the Pack. What's up with Hrivik this year, still hurting? I expected more from him. Is he at lest playing well away from the puck?

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Not much to report so far in tonight's game.

Lindberg, Miller and Fast looking dangerous on the PP, but the Falcons are solid in front of their goalie keeping them to the outside and breaking up the play whenever they get to the middle of the ice. The three of them did have one good chance on the rush where Miller wound up with a rebound at the side of the net, but Mckenna snatched the weak backhander out of the air.

Just after the PP expired, Allen with a smooth transition to Kristo with a nice move at center ice, give and go, he breaks in and gets a shot unobstructed from the right dot and hits the post.

Pack with their 2nd PP. Once again not able to get much going.

Thereafter the Falcons cycle in the zone. Marchessault (who appears to have lost the "Audey-") is doing his best Hagelin imitation behind the net and into the corner, spinning, reversing... gave McIlrath fits, but he stayed with him... until he took a penalty.

Falcons outnumber the Pack down low, pass from behind the net to one post, pass across to the other post, slam-dunk.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
McIlrath running around now, doing his best MDZ go all the way to the OPPOSITE corner to play a guy.

Delayed penalty on the Falcons as one of their forwards crushes Nash into the end boards with a very dangerous play. Pack control the puck, Allen passes diagonally from his own right blue line to Lindberg going up the left wing, Lindberg passes back across to Miller skating in on the right. Miller takes a Messier-style snapshot on the rush from the right circle and puts it home topshelf, far side. We're now 1-1.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Pack take a penalty. Stamler with a high (but I thought legal) hit. Vaive goads a Falcon into a penalty in the scrum after the whistle, but takes one himself and so the PP stands.

McIlrath with a nice play to outmuscle a Falcon in the zone, lift his stick and get it to a teammate. I have to say, though, he looked a bit unsteady on his skates doing it.

Miller with a good play to steal the puck at the point and breakout shorthanded. Slash. Penalty nullified.

Pack score on the subsequent PP. Bourque scores, but it's all Allen. Came flying in off the bench to accept a pass as he entered the zone and push the Falcons back on their heels, Pack take control, he's moving around MZA/Brassard-like, probing, passes back, receives the return, heads down the left side and finds Bourque basically alone in the slot. A Falcon manages to disrupt the play slightly, and Bourque gets checked, but he shoots falling down and the puck goes in.

Last edited:

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
The Lindberg line starts the period, drives deep aaaaaand... Lindberg takes an embellishment penalty on a trip from Erixon (who isn't penalized).

Bourque doing a good job to steal and take it deep on the PK.

McIlrath and Alliarde battle deep for the puck, McIlrath does a good job bodying him off... and again falls down. But the play allows Allen to pick up the puck and clear. (Allen is so much smoother than McIlrath - although obviously nowhere near as strong - right now.)

Pack kill the penalty... but now are back on the PK due to a delay of game clear over the glass. Playing with fire here. Lindberg to serve. Bourque and Miller playing very well as a PK duo. Although as soon as I type that of course Bourque fans on a clear and the Falcons get a good chance which Grumet-Morris saves.

Pack with another PK. The Falcons have spent most of the first 5 min on the PP.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Once again, the Falcons in the zone, but Lindberg makes a good play to tie the puck up at the left point - and then McIlrath comes over to knock down four players and knock the puck to center. Great check... except what the HELL is McIlrath doing making a play at the point on his off side?!

Kristo with a great play to gain the zone, cut to center, but he should have shot on the backhand (RH shot cutting in from the right), but instead passed to the trailer who was being checked and the chance was wasted.

Scrum in front of Grumet Morris. One of the Falcons gets way too close to the prone goalie, Miller knocks him back (like to see that) and they start to mix it up. Woah! The Falcon got his stick up in Miller's face. I'll be shocked if the Pack don't get a PP here.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Boyce given the 5 minute major (AND the match), Miller gets 2 for roughing. Right calls IMO.

Kristo dangerous on the subsequent 4-on-4, but nothing comes of his moves in the offensive zone. Then, Marchessault comes back with some dazzling moves of his own, and Grumet-Morris makes the save of the match so far to stone him. Allen with one nice rush, but other than that the Falcons get the better of the remaining 4-on-4.

Pack now on the PP for 3 min. GOAL. Gorgeous play. The announcer calls it an "innocent looking play," but Fast made an intentional pass-shot from the left circle, which banks off the back wall to Hrivik on the right post who then gets two tries - first trying to bank if off the goalie and then, still alone at the post because he is SO open, lifting it and getting it over the goalie's pad on the second try.

Fast with a chance on the rush, but a good save by McKenna.

Last edited:

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Good stuff BRF. I'm watching too. Miller is lucky he didn't get hurt on that high stick. Match penalty assessed to Boyce.

Miller working the half boards very well on the PP. Cross ice passes, knowing when to unload.

Thanks, Swayze. Yeah, I agree, his decision-making (IMO his biggest weakness) has been excellent this game.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
St. Croix scored two goals so far midway through the game. At this level, he's absolutely dominant. With the exception of the 8 game cold streak after getting sent down from the AHL, he's been scoring at will at the ECHL level.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->