2013-2014 Hartford Wolf Pack/Greenville Road Warriors Thread Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Falcons miss on a breakaway - and now take another minor on the subsequent play. Missed the infraction. Crowd getting restless.

Fast-Miller-Lindberg again buzzing on the PP. Some beautiful tic-tac-toe passing, but no joy on a Miller shot from the right half boards off a nice cross-ice feed from Fast.

What the heck is Powe doing on the second unit? Kristo with a couple of nice rushes on the second half of the PP, gaining the zone easily, but is driven wide by the defense each time.

Pack on the PP AGAIN. Goulubef for unsportsmanlike arguing an offsides call. Springfield clearly upset with the officiating. Not much going on on this PP. Kristo tries to drive through the defense a couple of times, but nothing doing.

Make-up call (IMO). Fast passes across to the left point, but the puck is bouncing and goes over the defenseman's stick. Fast skates back, easily catches up to the PKer on the breakaway and does a picture-perfect job skating in front of him and separating him from the puck, but gets called for a phantom hold.

Aaaaand a couple of seconds later the Falcons take another penalty. Double minor. I'm guessing first a hold and then an unsportsmanlike?

And the parade continues, now the pack take another penalty. Allen defending Marchessault as he cuts in to the middle of the ice. I honestly have no idea who will be on the PP and who on the PK for the next several minutes. Springfield currently on a 4-on-3, but I think the Pack will end up with a 5-on-4 shortly after the 3rd begins.

Best players for the Pack: Miller and Allen again along with Fast and Grumet-Morris.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Pack start out the third still on the PK. Grumet-Morris with a couple of good saves, including one that sounded like it went off his mask.

Whoops - lost my feed there just as the Pack went on the PP.

And we're back. I lost 2-3 minutes there. Falcons trying to pressure McIlrath in his own zone, but he does a good job fending off two guys and gaining control. (Although, once again, what's he doing in the left corner?)

Brendan Nash takes a penalty - must have happened off camera. McIlrath strong in front clearing the crease during the PK, Lindberg and Fast good pressuring the points.

Miller with a breakaway on the PK. Penalty shot! Coming in relatively slow. Gains a little speed. Forehand, backhand, forehand, backhand - outwaits the goalie and McKenna slides off to his forehand side while Miller scores off the backhand. Gorgeous. Miller now 2-2-4 on the night with about half the 3rd left to go.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Hrivik and McIlrath working well on a play in the offensive zone, McIlrath driving the net and the play collapses around him. No goal, but a solid play and a faceoff in the Falcons' zone. There's no question his size gives teams fits and he has puck skills - if only he had more positional discipline and didn't go down so often.

Who the heck is on Hrivik's line? Vaive and... someone. Yikes. He's going to have trouble scoring outside of the PP unless he can get in alone on the breakaway.

Interference on Vaive, 7th PP for the Falcons. I have not been impressed with Erixon on the PP. Does Gernander have his D playing their off hands on the PK?

Aleandi (if I keep trying different spellings, I'll get it right eventually) goes down awkwardly - Powe taking a stupid offensive zone penalty on the PK. Falcons on the 5-on-3.

Pack look good on the PK. No, to answer my earlier question, McIlrath is playing on the right side now. Good job in front of the net, allowing Miller to get the puck, he passes to himself off the boards and gets a semi-break in on McKenna.

PP goal by the Falcons. Goubolef from the point to Marchessault at the bottom of the left circle, across the crease (through Nash's legs) to Chaput who roofs it over a valiant effort at the save by Grumet-Morris.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Uh-oh, Grumet-Morris makes a save off the rush - pass to the trailing defenseman who one-times it either off his mask, neck or shoulder (can't tell) - and he's down.

Whew. He's staying in the game.

Falcons buzzing. Grumet-Morris with the save (a good one, but leaves a rebound - may still be feeling the previous shot), Hrivik tries to get the puck out of danger, clearing it from the crease... and just over the glass for delay of game. Falcons on the PP again.

Good chance off the faceoff, the Falcon has a clear shot from 30 feet but is on his backhand. Grumet-Morris makes the save and McIlrath pushes the Falcon in front to his face on the ice, ending the threat. (It's amazing - he's either great or completely out of position and falling down.)

Yikes. Grumet-Morris with ANOTHER one off his mask. Somebody buy that man a beer after the game. Screw that, buy him a steak.

Just under 2 min to go and the Falcons have already pulled the goalie. Haley just misses the empty net from the blue line.

Bourque slickly steals the puck in the neutral zone, gets to the blue line and shoots at the empty net. Score! Pack up 5-2.

One last thought to mention: Fast has thrown the body around a couple of times this game - perhaps more than any other Pack player outside of McIlrath (who is a wrecking ball) - he's willing, but slight. Would really like to see him add some muscle, if possible.

Last edited:

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
St. Croix with another assist. He's 2+1=3 for the game.

Jean scored his first ECHL goal. He now has 4 points in 13 games, underwhelming to say the least.

In another news, Malcolm was pulled midway through the game after just 1 goal, so must be an injury.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
St. Croix with another assist. He's 2+1=3 for the game.

Jean scored his first ECHL goal. He now has 4 points in 13 games, underwhelming to say the least.

In another news, Malcolm was pulled midway through the game after just 1 goal, so must be an injury.

I really think the organization likes St Croix. They probably realized sending him back to dominate the WHL for an overage season was pointless but he wasn't quite physically ready for a full AHL season. He is clearly dominating the ECHL.

People need to look at this as his overage season. He is still very much a viable offensive prospect.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
I really think the organization likes St Croix. They probably realized sending him back to dominate the WHL for an overage season was pointless but he wasn't quite physically ready for a full AHL season. He is clearly dominating the ECHL.

People need to look at this as his overage season. He is still very much a viable offensive prospect.

I don't have huge hopes for St. Croix, but he is worth following. He got ~200 points in the WHL, the best junior league in the world, over his last two seasons there. He's now absolutely dominant in the ECHL, and save for one cold streak when he lost confidence after being sent down from the AHL, he's been scoring 1.36 points per game, on pace for 111.5 points over 82 games.

This is too much offense to ignore, even if his odds of making it aren't great. He's certainly picked up steam this season as he adjusted to the pro game.

Next year I'd like to see him on Hartford's second line, getting at least half a point per game in the AHL.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Good job on the reportage BRF. It was much appreciated.

How's Bourque not even an Honorable Mention?

Thanks, eco's, although it wasn't perfect - Beacon's right, I was overly focused on the "legitimate" prospects. Bourque deserved an HM, right after Fast, and before Hrivik.

(EDIT: Although I do think I gave him enough credit in the play-by-play.)

Last edited:

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I don't have huge hopes for St. Croix, but he is worth following. He got ~200 points in the WHL, the best junior league in the world, over his last two seasons there. He's now absolutely dominant in the ECHL, and save for one cold streak when he lost confidence after being sent down from the AHL, he's been scoring 1.36 points per game, on pace for 111.5 points over 82 games.

This is too much offense to ignore, even if his odds of making it aren't great. He's certainly picked up steam this season as he adjusted to the pro game.

Next year I'd like to see him on Hartford's second line, getting at least half a point per game in the AHL.

I guess I don't understand why you, and others are so down on him. He needs a top 6 role. Hartford doesn't have one available. He is dominating the ECHL which is still a good league.

1st year pro. If the Rangers had a player go back as an overages and absolutely tear it up, ala Callahan when he was sent back, people would be ecstatic but when a prospect dominates a professional second tier league people get down?

He has scored at every level. Part of the reason he fell in the draft was because he was so under developed and weak physically. That's a good thing. Strength can be gained through time and training. He has very good vision and puck skills.

I guess I just don't understand how spending 1 year in the ECHL is a bad thing when he was eligible to go back as an overager.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
I guess I don't understand why you, and others are so down on him. He needs a top 6 role. Hartford doesn't have one available. He is dominating the ECHL which is still a good league.

1st year pro. If the Rangers had a player go back as an overages and absolutely tear it up, ala Callahan when he was sent back, people would be ecstatic but when a prospect dominates a professional second tier league people get down?

He has scored at every level. Part of the reason he fell in the draft was because he was so under developed and weak physically. That's a good thing. Strength can be gained through time and training. He has very good vision and puck skills.

I guess I just don't understand how spending 1 year in the ECHL is a bad thing when he was eligible to go back as an overager.

I don't think you guys are actually disagreeing...

I'm not a huge fan, but this is what he needs to do in the ECHL. If he can build on it, step-by-step, level-by-level, I will be happy to revise my opinion.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007

I am kinda down on him because I was hoping he'd be a top-9 player in the AHL this year. A third line center shouldn't necessarily be a defensive position. He could've played with Hrivik and Hensick, both quality players, so his offensive production wouldn't necessarily suffer from being held back by offensively-challenged linemates.

MrAlmost

Beer league hero.
Jun 3, 2010

I think this is a big part of it. He is so slight. When I last saw him he didn't look like he was 6 foot and he must of been 165 or 170 pounds. As he gets older he will fill out it just seems like it might take some time. He's got the tools though.

Thanks for your play-by-play Brooklyn. Much appreciated.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
I think this is a big part of it. He is so slight. When I last saw him he didn't look like he was 6 foot and he must of been 165 or 170 pounds. As he gets older he will fill out it just seems like it might take some time. He's got the tools though.

Thanks for your play-by-play Brooklyn. Much appreciated.

I would draft guys like St. Croix in the 4th round every time they become available. A 4th rounder has about a 5-7% chance to make the NHL even as a 4th liner. If we strike gold once per generation in the 4th round (as we did with Marc Savard), we are in amazing shape assume we don't trade him away for nothing (as we did with Marc Savard).

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
kinda surprised Falk isn't down for conditioning. I guess they want to give him the Olympic break instead of forcing him down.

Punxrocknyc19*

I would draft guys like St. Croix in the 4th round every time they become available. A 4th rounder has about a 5-7% chance to make the NHL even as a 4th liner. If we strike gold once per generation in the 4th round (as we did with Marc Savard), we are in amazing shape assume we don't trade him away for nothing (as we did with Marc Savard).

Ryan Callahan was a 4th round pick... rangers need take chances on players like this..

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland

Hartford has been one of the worst offensive teams in the AHL all season. What centers have been blocking him? Oscar Lindberg, sure, but who else? Kyle Jean, who is trash? Andrew Rowe, fellow ECHL-caliber offensive player? Miller has only been there half the year. It's not like Hartford has had some stacked depth at center that was preventing him from getting a look. If he was such a dynamo, they'd put him on a wing somewhere.

I'm not writing him off entirely, and I'm not down on him just because of this season. I've never been impressed. He has always struck me as a "4A" player. He has skill, but he doesn't think the game fast enough or react quickly enough. That has always been my impression of him.

Yeah, he could become a good player down the road. The odds are strongly against him. I just don't see anything in him that scream high-end prospect to me. He looks like Erik Christensen if things go right. If things go wrong, he's your average ECHL All-Star/AHL tweener.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Good game last night. Fast on the point on the PP is interesting. More opportunity for him down the road and he's a right handed shot.

Miller is pretty dominant at the AHL level. Let's see what he does tonight and tomorrow. He has multipoint games and he might earn a callup.

Kristo...I gotta give the guy props, he took a beating and stuck with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille