2013-2014 Hartford Wolf Pack/Greenville Road Warriors Thread Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Or, he's just not that good. Time will tell.

There's a good chance he won't make the NHL just like any prospect. But the fact people are down on him for playing most of the year in the ECHL and dominating is laughable. The kid has scored very well in every league he has been placed in.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Would have been nice to have Kristo for this game - and would have been nice to have someone better to fill in for him on his line.

Outside of Hensick, the Pack is getting VERY little production from its AHL depth players. The Rangers really do need to invest a couple of contracts in improving that situation. I don't mean college FAs (although I want them to do that too), but the higher quality veteran AHL pros. Nash, Stamler, Vaive, Beach and O'Donnell are worthless. Johnson, Powe and Haley work hard, but don't have enough skill. Syvret has some skill on offense, but is scary in his own zone.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
There's a good chance he won't make the NHL just like any prospect. But the fact people are down on him for playing most of the year in the ECHL and dominating is laughable. The kid has scored very well in every league he has been placed in.

I think what league he was placed in is telling.

MSC has done more to warrant my continued support than Nicholls. But, I'm growing increasingly suspicious of Canadian Junior league production.

Maybe we'll see what he has next year when Miller and or Lindberg are in the NHL. I've more hope for him that **** signings like ****ing Tommy Grant and Michael Kantor, good lord, I wonder sometimes what the scouts on this team are smoking with these mopes.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland

Right. He was placed in a marginal professional league because he's a marginal prospect.

Why is it laughable? You may not think it's a big deal, but it's a very small list of good NHL players who spend their first professional season in the ECHL. You can say it's no big deal and rationalize it how you want, but it's not a positive development. Certainly not for a guy who was a fringe prospect anyway.

Tell me--for a guy like me that was dubious of his NHL potential, why should I feel any differently? Why shouldn't I be even more down on him?

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Right. He was placed in a marginal professional league because he's a marginal prospect.

Why is it laughable? You may not think it's a big deal, but it's a very small list of good NHL players who spend their first professional season in the ECHL. You can say it's no big deal and rationalize it how you want, but it's not a positive development. Certainly not for a guy who was a fringe prospect anyway.

Tell me--for a guy like me that was dubious of his NHL potential, why should I feel any differently? Why shouldn't I be even more down on him?

I'll answer with another question, why would him dominating the ECHL make you MORE down on him than before? I don't care if people don't like him as a prospect, but at this point, this season should keep your opinion no worse, or better.

slipknottin

Apr 11, 2011
CT
Would have been nice to have Kristo for this game - and would have been nice to have someone better to fill in for him on his line.

Outside of Hensick, the Pack is getting VERY little production from its AHL depth players. The Rangers really do need to invest a couple of contracts in improving that situation. I don't mean college FAs (although I want them to do that too), but the higher quality veteran AHL pros. Nash, Stamler, Vaive, Beach and O'Donnell are worthless. Johnson, Powe and Haley work hard, but don't have enough skill. Syvret has some skill on offense, but is scary in his own zone.

I think more than veterans they just need more draft picks. They have what, 2 young d guys in Hartford?

Maybe 4 good offensive prospects?

No goalie?

They just need more talent. And they have to bring more in with the drafts, giving up so many draft picks in trades has left the youth system a bit bare.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
I think more than veterans they just need more draft picks. They have what, 2 young d guys in Hartford?

Maybe 4 good offensive prospects?

No goalie?

They just need more talent. And they have to bring more in with the drafts, giving up so many draft picks in trades has left the youth system a bit bare.

Oh yes, I absolutely agree. (And with the pending trades of Cally and perhaps other players I'm hoping one of the results will be that we actually have extra picks for once in 2014 and 2015.)

But unfortunately, anyone picked this year won't contribute to HFD for at least 2, and mostly likely 3, years - and even once you have them, you still need several solid vet players to lead, establish a winning culture and make meaningful contributions on the ice. Talbot's promotion gummed up the goalie situation, but they should have signed a guy like Hensick for the beginning of the year.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
NYR2k2,

I don't necessarily disagree with you, but my argument was always that we should keep track of him, not just give up at the age of 20. What do you want of a 4th round draft pick, particularly one with a high upside? Someone who has a lot of offensive skill and is likely to reach his potential gets drafted in the top-10, maybe top-5. A 4th rounder has a 5-8% chance to crack the NHL, and one who has a high potential is particularly risky so his odds when drafted are maybe 3-4%.

But MSC is worth tracking... and with that: St. Croix had no points tonight, but he did score a shootout goal that tied up the score at 1-1, and allowed the shootout to continue, and for Jean to score the game winning goal.

MrAlmost

Beer league hero.
Jun 3, 2010
NYR2k2,

I don't necessarily disagree with you, but my argument was always that we should keep track of him, not just give up at the age of 20. What do you want of a 4th round draft pick, particularly one with a high upside? Someone who has a lot of offensive skill and is likely to reach his potential gets drafted in the top-10, maybe top-5. A 4th rounder has a 5-8% chance to crack the NHL, and one who has a high potential is particularly risky so his odds when drafted are maybe 3-4%.

But MSC is worth tracking... and with that: St. Croix had no points tonight, but he did score a shootout goal that tied up the score at 1-1, and allowed the shootout to continue, and for Jean to score the game winning goal.

Yeah I'm with this. You cant ignore the skills MSC has. Hes is a smart and talented hockey player. Like you said he doesnt have that big of a chance to make it, but if he does, he has that boom factor. I hope the org. holds onto him for a bit longer to see where he goes. He seems like a player who can be real good when he is 22 or 23 years old and starts to get that real man strength.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia

Most of those contracts are coming up this yr so I believe you will get your wish. It's not like they are stuck w those contracts. This yr they were w powe , asham, Haley.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
NYR2k2,

I agree that he's worth tracking. As I've said time and time again, I have not written him off. I check the Grenville box score every game, just to see what he's doing. I WANT to be wrong about him.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Watching Finland, why did immonen not stick on nyr?

Renney didn't play him even though he was ready for a role. At that stage in his career, the young man had to make a living so he left for Europe.

The Rangers scout well. Immonen isn't the only Olympian that used to be a part of the Ranger org:

Baranka
Korpikoski
Immonen
Ambuhl
Tyutin
Anisimov

All were a part of the Rangers post lockout II. The list is longer if you include the likes of Rosival. Say what you will about the Upper Management, but Sather's scouts know talent.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
Renney didn't play him even though he was ready for a role. At that stage in his career, the young man had to make a living so he left for Europe.

The Rangers scout well. Immonen isn't the only Olympian that used to be a part of the Ranger org:

Baranka
Korpikoski
Immonen
Ambuhl
Tyutin
Anisimov

All were a part of the Rangers post lockout II. The list is longer if you include the likes of Rosival. Say what you will about the Upper Management, but Sather's scouts know talent.

Didn't we also draft Zaborsky from the Slovakian team? Highly regarded. Christer Rockstrom was the long time NYR Euro scout and I think it's been Hedberg the last few (5-10) years.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
With Immonen you have to look at who the Rangers had on their team at the time and what other center prospects they had. It was back in the Jagr, Nylander, Straka, Shanahan, Rucinsky, Prucha years. Matt Cullen and Steve Rucchin were other veteran centers we had back then. Dominic Moore, Blair Betts. Dubinsky was on the horizon. I don't know if we had Anisimov yet but he may have been in the works as well. Rangers thought that Immonen needed an extra step of speed. His first year in Hartford was really good--the next year he fell off a little. He'd get called up and he was behind the play too much. They wanted him to be more of a difference maker and weren't seeing it. The team didn't have a big problem with the offense or the pwp back then--though we were always missing a real good 2nd line center type.

Anyway Don Maloney was no speedster. His skating speed was average at best. He could put the puck in the net enough that you couldn't take him for granted but his specialty was board work. Really good in the corners winning puck battles and making plays. Just saying--if he had a problem with Jarkko's skating but then again centers have to cover more ground--Maloney was a left wing.

Dagoon44

Sep 15, 2003
NJ
dagoon44.blogspot.com
Baranka never got a fair deal with this team.. kid always hurt with some weird injury then got a call up in Tampa played a great game and even got a point or two if i remember right and gone again,.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
It's a shame that some of these older prospects like Baranka or Zaborsky never panned out :shakehead

But anyways staying on topic with the thread, does anyone think that Skapski will be in Hartford next year or will be stay in the WHL for another year?

Punxrocknyc19*

i dont see why Noreau couldnt be on the Wolfpack instead of someone like Bretton Stamler ECHL player, who has no future in the Rangers organization.. :shakehead

im sure Noreau is not that bad that he cant stick in the AHL even on a 3rd pairing at the moment..

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
This thread isn't about the merits of fighting. Keep it on topic.

Every thread is about the merits of fighting and about why the Rangers should've drafted Tarasenko or Fowler. Every one of them.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
i dont see why Noreau couldnt be on the Wolfpack instead of someone like Bretton Stamler ECHL player, who has no future in the Rangers organization.. :shakehead

im sure Noreau is not that bad that he cant stick in the AHL even on a 3rd pairing at the moment..

Why are you sure about it? What makes you say this?

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate

I can't say for sure, but I imagine that the Rangers have Noreau down in the ECHL to get top minutes, while Stamler is up here getting the least TOI of the D (at least that's what it looks like according to my viewing - I don't actually have the stats).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad