GDT: #19 There Will Be Blood: Devils @ Oilers, 9 PM, MSG+2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Fully expecting a Kennedy signing after this game.

I am too, though I don't expect it to happen just yet.

My guess is he'll be in by Wednesday at the earliest, maybe one of the Montreal games next week.

Conditioning is probably not where it needs to be yet.

He'll be an upgrade to the bottom 6 at this point.

Our bottom 6 has been terrible this year. Hate to bag on Kalinin, but 4 points in 18 games is still not much better point production than a really good 4th liner.

And then there's Josefson and Tootoo with ZERO even strength points this season between the two of them. At least I believe Tootoo has zero even strength points? I know Josefson has none.

At least Kalinin has an even strength point or two.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
This game is on the coaching staff.

They've been doing gimmicky stuff all season but what they were doing with the defense tonight was absurd.

Only question is who drew up that garbage Hynes or Nassredine.

Very amateurish.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Agreed, I was a huge Kinkaid fan and I think he's been pretty terrible this year. Juggling the puck, slow to get across the crease, poor rebound control, etc. I'm not usually critical of backup goaltending, but he's putting us in bad situations.

A) I think he probably should have gone on a conditioning stint to play some. Even last year he got in a lot of games early in the season being in the AHL so he was never rusty

B) THIS is why you don't go the merry go round goalie route if you can help it. Yes you can get quality goaltending for 'nothing' but dime a dozen goalies are also like relief pitchers in baseball, their performance varies dramatically year to year.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
The first truly non competitive game of the season against EDMONTON? Yeesh. And after a dud in Calgary too, the first crisis point.
It was BAD. Losing to the leaning tower of padsa again LOL, at least we had a 10% shooting percentage on RamBLOW.
Or he mysteriously got sick too. But I do think Hynes sat Cory because he knew he wanted to play him Sunday so he wanted to get Kinkaid in there once on the trip with three games this week.
I don't wanna see Keith ''2013 Johan Hedberg in disguise'' Kinkaid until the next back to back.

We have 11 more back to back's to go this season, no need to start him again in a random game while Cory is healthy. It's hard to stay in games with Kinkaid when the defense plays as HORRID as it did tonight.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I want a first round pick and a PROVEN young NHL player for Cammalleri if he's going. Add a decent prospect to that too.

No ******** second rounder and a couple Matteau/Boucher (AKA probably BUSTS) for him. We have enough garbage forward Conte specials that will never contribute a god damn thing to this team, that we don't need another teams junk or maybe/boom or bust prospects.

If we don't get at least that, I'm keeping him.

And we very likely WON'T be getting that, so I'm keeping him.

Yeah...it'll likely take three years to replace Camm. Why deal him unless you do get a king's ransom? It just sets the rebulid back even further.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
This game is on the coaching staff.

They've been doing gimmicky stuff all season but what they were doing with the defense tonight was absurd.

Only question is who drew up that garbage Hynes or Nassredine.

Very amateurish.

One game on the coaching staff so far? We would have probably lost 5 on the coaching staff already if any of the Dumbeor/Oates/MacLean staffs were around for this season.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
Or he mysteriously got sick too. But I do think Hynes sat Cory because he knew he wanted to play him Sunday so he wanted to get Kinkaid in there once on the trip with three games this week.

That's probably the most likely reason. I do wish Cory had gotten the start, but no use crying over spilled milk.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
The problem with last year and Cory's crappy start, was we probably already played at least a handful of back to backs by this point in the season.

I think Cory started 20 games in a row, and more than a few of those were games where he played two nights in a row.

This year we've only had one back to back so far and Kinkaid has already started 4 games.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
One game on the coaching staff so far? We would have probably lost 5 on the coaching staff already if any of the Dumbeor/Oates/MacLean staffs were around for this season.

I can't recall ever seeing tactical chicanery like that before from any of our coaches. Not only that, they stuck with it even after it was biting them in the ass.

Chessarmy

Mar 16, 2009
Florida
You have to be blind to not see him declining. And when was the last time he scored a goal when it matters? He creates nothing on his own and he's well into his 30s at this point. Let him go play with a setup man who will get him the puck in scoring positions. He's painful to watch, I don't care how many points he has right now. I expect he'll have a decent year, but I don't want to see him in a season or two.

Okay but he's not bad right now. You don't trade a player like that who is contributing when the team has a shot at the playoffs, that's a loser mentality.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
The problem with last year and Cory's crappy start, was we probably already played at least a handful of back to backs by this point in the season.

I think Cory started 20 games in a row, and more than a few of those were games where he played two nights in a row.

This year we've only had one back to back so far and Kinkaid has already started 4 games.

Well of course the first two came when Cory had his kid, and the third was on a back to back. Tonight was the first truly...um, really? start for Keith. I mean you had two days off before the trip and two days off after the trip. Three games in ten days is not that bad. Should have just played Keith Thanksgiving weekend one of the games but they got too wrapped up in wanting to get him back in quick cause he was obviously rusty in his last start.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
So I guess the Hynes for Jack Adams talk came to a screeching halt? :laugh:

That was kind of absurdly early anyway for the media to start the publicity train. After 1/5 of a season award speculating, really?

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
The Oilers had play that didn't click, the pass was just in front of Hall...but both of our dmen were on the left side of the ice by design and Hall was zipping right through the middle with a head of steam and Gionta was supposed to pick him up...who here thinks that could ever be a good idea? As it went he blew by Gionta and luckily that pass was just a little too far in front of him... the first goal and the second goal happened in similar fashion.

That's just bizare that you stay with it at that point.

Last edited:

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
So I guess the Hynes for Jack Adams talk came to a screeching halt? :laugh:

That was kind of absurdly early anyway for the media to start the publicity train. After 1/5 of a season award speculating, really?

He went from amateur idiot over his head during the 0-3-1 start to a good coach during the 10-3 stretch, and now back to amateur idiot after the last two games.:laugh:

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
He seems to be a good coach overall for our team, but I think tonight was a growing pain for him and the team.

Granted I didn't get to watch the game but if Hynes did suddenly change his game plan that's not really a good thing imo...you're not Belichick, he can get away with changing his game plan every single game - anyone else it just comes off as being indecisive and everyone else starts questioning themselves when the coach does that.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
Granted I didn't get to watch the game but if Hynes did suddenly change his game plan that's not really a good thing imo...you're not Belichick, he can get away with changing his game plan every single game - anyone else it just comes off as being indecisive.

I think that he must've changed his game plan or else the Devils were having the same type of breakdowns all game that we haven't seen before (which would be extremely incredible and bizarre), and I believe that it backfired on him, much like the too early goalie pulls in special team situations did earlier this season. He seemed to learn from the goalie pulls, so I hope that he learns from this. Overall, I think he's exceeded expectations so far, and he's a rookie NHL head coach so I have to anticipate gaffes, so I'm not going to condemn him too much for this unless it is a repeated issue. If the team is in a playoff spot come Thanksgiving, all will be forgiven in my opinion in terms of the team and coach.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Well of course the first two came when Cory had his kid, and the third was on a back to back. Tonight was the first truly...um, really? start for Keith. I mean you had two days off before the trip and two days off after the trip. Three games in ten days is not that bad. Should have just played Keith Thanksgiving weekend one of the games but they got too wrapped up in wanting to get him back in quick cause he was obviously rusty in his last start.

Third wasn't on a back to back, his first start of the year was though. And then he played the game after that cause Cory's wife had the baby. I think the Vancouver game was because he hadn't played in a while, due to the lack of any back to back situations.

I had a bad feeling about this one from the start, would have been more okay with it if we had won in Calgary. Even though Cory stunk in Calgary, I don't think we allow 4 non empty netters tonight.

To be fair, goal 3 was absolute ********. Why wasn't it whistled? I think the second goal he had no chance on at all. First goal I wouldn't consider bad, but Cory might have robbed him cause he's a positional goaltender.

Goal 4 was a super softy, would have been more laughable if it wasn't caused by the most pathetic turnover of the season by Cammalleri.

His puck play has been bad too, which hasn't caused any goals against yet. Last two games he's looked like Cory or Hedberg with the puck. It's to be expected from Cory, but it was a strength of Kinkaid's usually.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
And I thought it was BAD NEWS all over when I read the ''Hynes for Jack Adams'' column, I never read the actual article. I just saw the headline.

I remember Pierre LeBrun's ''Pete DeBoer for Jack Adams'' column about 10-15 games into the lockout season, and I thought that Hynes article might wind up being a curse or a jinx because of that ******** DeBoer one from 3 years ago.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Third wasn't on a back to back, his first start of the year was though. And then he played the game after that cause Cory's wife had the baby. I think the Vancouver game was because he hadn't played in a while, due to the lack of any back to back situations.

Oh right...well it was still a four game in seven day stretch so I didn't have a problem with him playing the Vancouver game.

And I thought it was BAD NEWS all over when I read the ''Hynes for Jack Adams'' column, I never read the actual article. I just saw the headline.

I remember Pierre LeBrun's ''Pete DeBoer for Jack Adams'' column about 10-15 games into the lockout season, and I thought that Hynes article might wind up being a curse or a jinx because of that ******** DeBoer one from 3 years ago.

It was Dan Rosen this time that wrote the one on Hynes, or one of them.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
What exactly did Hynes do wrong tonight? Am I missing something?

The worst thing to me was starting Kinkaid after a loss to Calgary, I guess he thought Kinkaid might be better than the .884 goaltender he's been this season. It's clear we can't keep the score respectable with Kinkaid if we play the kind of game we played tonight.

And how long before we petition the league to do away with a two man advantage when our opponent takes another penalty while we're already on a power play? We've gotta be like 1 for 4 on two man advantages this year so far.

Did we score 5 on 3 against Ottawa? Or was that shortly after one of the penalties expired?

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
with the exception of palmieri the team was so poor it made the loss to calgary feel like a good effort by comparison...which of course it was anything but

can't say I expect any good outcome on the last leg of this road trip and it wouldn't surprise me if they roll over for a stretch...like the next two which should otherwise be winnable games

then moving on...they looked bad at home vs jackets a few weeks ago and the thought of back to back matches vs mtl is cringeworthy

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
The Oilers had play that didn't click, the pass was just in front of Hall...but both of our dmen were on the left side of the ice by design and Hall was zipping right through the middle with a head of steam and Gionta was supposed to pick him up...who here thinks that could ever be a good idea? As it went he blew by Gionta and luckily that pass was just a little too far in front of him... the first goal and the second goal happened in similar fashion.

That's just bizare that you stay with it at that point.

Was it really a coaching decision though? I figured it was just a coincidence and a brainfarts with the covering of the same side.

If it was by design, I hope it's resolved next game.

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
They weren't winning this game if they had Lundqvist in net. They weren't mentally in the game and the coaching was terribad tonight. WTF was the D coverage and the 5-3 PP was a disaster.

Kinkaid needs starts. You can't run Cory into the ground, he's not Marty. And even so, Marty needed rest. If you leave him on the bench, he's going to be rusty.

The panicking on this board is outta control. This wasn't a playoff team and the wheels may be coming off. It was fun for a while. We know half these guys belong on either a 3rd line or in the AHL.

Let's see what they're made of when they get on the next homestand.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
with the exception of palmieri the team was so poor it made the loss to calgary feel like a good effort by comparison...which of course it was anything but

can't say I expect any good outcome on the last leg of this road trip and it wouldn't surprise me if they roll over for a stretch...like the next two which should otherwise be winnable games

then moving on...they looked bad at home vs jackets a few weeks ago and the thought of back to back matches vs mtl is cringeworthy

Yeah it was nice while it lasted but now I'm back to having zero confidence in them getting a win the rest of the month. Sunday's the most winnable game of the four now that Tort has his 9000 man shot blocking system fully in place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad