Prospect Info: #162 LW Jesper Bratt

Status
Not open for further replies.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I might be alone here, but I think Bratt is misused/under-appreciated by the coach.

Why is he playing on the 4th line?

Why is friggen Hayes playing over him on the PP?
Hayes is just posting up in front of the net on the PP. He's a big body. Not that Hayes is any good at it, Bratt is not going to play that role.

But I agree on getting Bratt more love overall.

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
Hayes is just posting up in front of the net on the PP. He's a big body. Not that Hayes is any good at it, Bratt is not going to play that role.

But I agree on getting Bratt more love overall.

Washington and other top PP teams don't have a Holmstrom type on their power plays. Perhaps NJ should try a new strategy if Hayes is the best option in their ciurrent.

Matte99

May 23, 2010
Stockholm
Since Bratt was moved down in the lines he hasn't scored any points. This proves 2 things.
1) That you are dependent on your linemates aka its a team game
2) If given the right company he can produce at NHL level

The question is why he isn´t allowed to play where he can succeed? I would guess that he could do a lot of damage with Mojo and perhaps someone else could play a better 3rd line game than Bratt. Anyway, its a pity they couldnt keep him in the top 6 until he stopped producing. The guy was sporting 1+ ppg... demotion shouldn't have been the response. Thats just my opinion but i can be wrong.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Since Bratt was moved down in the lines he hasn't scored any points. This proves 2 things.

The question is why he isn´t allowed to play where he can succeed? I would guess that he could do a lot of damage with Mojo and perhaps someone else could play a better 3rd line game than Bratt. Anyway, its a pity they couldnt keep him in the top 6 until he stopped producing. The guy was sporting 1+ ppg... demotion shouldn't have been the response. Thats just my opinion but i can be wrong.

Because there isn’t an open top 6 spot right now.

The problem is more the ice time then the linemates. The Zacha line isn’t getting a lot of minutes at evens and it is limiting all their chances.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009

I understand wanting to manage his minutes and not overtax a young player, but Bratt's usage has confused me more than anything Hynes has done this year. Bratt is 23rd in the league among all forwards (1st among rookies) in the league for short handed ice time per game right now. Hynes clearly trusts him to play difficult minutes, but he's only averaging 9:24 per game of even strength time, which is last on the team.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I understand wanting to manage his minutes and not overtax a young player, but Bratt's usage has confused me more than anything Hynes has done this year. Bratt is 23rd in the league among all forwards (1st among rookies) in the league for short handed ice time per game right now. Hynes clearly trusts him to play difficult minutes, but he's only averaging 9:24 per game of even strength time, which is last on the team.

Hynes probably is worried about a guy who looks like he’s 12 in his street clothes being broken on NHL ice. I think he is selling Bratt short.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Hynes clearly trusts him to play difficult minutes, but he's only averaging 9:24 per game of even strength time, which is last on the team.

And that includes the one game where he was one of the nine forwards who did play in the last two periods.

It is true with Stafford playing well someone (either he or Bratt) had to be dropped from the top six. I do think the Zacha-Bratt line could get more time at even strength than they do though it seems like we're spending an inordinate amount of time on special teams and that's screwing around with the 5-on-5 line time allocation a bit too when everyone's in the lineup (Stafford missed three games, Palm one and MarJo was benched for most of one but they're all in the top six now).

http://www.nhl.com/stats/team?aggre...ter=gamesPlayed,gte,1&sort=penaltyKillSeconds

Proof is in the pudding, we have ten minutes more in PK time than the next team, and are second in PP time so yeah we've spent a lot of time on special teams.

Last edited:

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
And that includes the one game where he was one of the nine forwards who did play in the last two periods.

It is true with Stafford playing well someone (either he or Bratt) had to be dropped from the top six. I do think the Zacha-Bratt line could get more time at even strength than they do though it seems like we're spending an inordinate amount of time on special teams and that's screwing around with the line allocation a bit too when everyone's in the lineup (Stafford missed three games, Palm one and MarJo/Zacha were benched for most of one but they're all in the top six now).
Agreed that the amount of special teams is really messing with our lines. In a game where there are a lot of power plays though, I'd like to see him get some power play time over a scrub like Hayes or over someone who isn't playing well if he is. I loved what Hynes did in the Rags game by benching guys because in the past he hasn't been very quick to make adjustments in game, but he needs to do it more.

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
I also think Zacha needs to be put with better players if we want him to play center. I think we should swap Henrique and Zacha just as another experiment perhaps. Because right now I think the Gibbons-Zacha-Bratt line is not going to produce well.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Agreed that the amount of special teams is really messing with our lines. In a game where there are a lot of power plays though, I'd like to see him get some power play time over a scrub like Hayes or over someone who isn't playing well if he is. I loved what Hynes did in the Rags game by benching guys because in the past he hasn't been very quick to make adjustments in game, but he needs to do it more.

Well the only reason Hayes gets a spot on the PP is the whole big body in front role that the fourth forward generally fills. Sure on merit Bratt would be one of the top eight PP forwards and he does get 'some' time on it (nearly three minutes per game) and if Hayes remains unproductive they'll have to make a change there, but they already have a lot of perimeter players on the PP.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Well the only reason Hayes gets a spot on the PP is the whole big body in front role that the fourth forward generally fills. Sure on merit Bratt would be one of the top eight PP forwards and he does get 'some' time on it (nearly three minutes per game) but they already have a lot of perimeter players on the PP.
No one with a good power play puts a 4th liner in front of the net.

Reactions: Blackjack

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
We actually do have a good one. I think this is more a mistake of player usage.
Oh for sure our power play is good, but I don't think Hayes has contributed much of anything. Teams with the big guy in front approach are using big and skilled guys that play in their top 6 so they can clean up the trash that drops in front. Hayes has done some screening, but he's useless with the puck and useless on zone entries.

Matte99

May 23, 2010
Stockholm
Because there isn’t an open top 6 spot right now.

The problem is more the ice time then the linemates. The Zacha line isn’t getting a lot of minutes at evens and it is limiting all their chances.
I see your point but perhaps they should try to play with a offensive top 9, pair up offensive players who has chemistry and try to find a 3rd guy who can fit into it. That would maximize the production with what you got.

Anyway, i dont know the team well enough to suggest anything real. Ive seen a few devil games this year and enjoyed them (for the first time). Hope the team will continue playing the same. Still find it odd to take Bratt out of the top 6 when he was producing the way he was. Are Devils scoring more goals and playing better offence now than the first 3 games?

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I see your point but perhaps they should try to play with a offensive top 9, pair up offensive players who has chemistry and try to find a 3rd guy who can fit into it. That would maximize the production with what you got.

Anyway, i dont know the team well enough to suggest anything real. Ive seen a few devil games this year and enjoyed them (for the first time). Hope the team will continue playing the same. Still find it odd to take Bratt out of the top 6 when he was producing the way he was. Are Devils scoring more goals and playing better offence now than the first 3 games?

We actually are doing this, they just aren’t getting enough ice time.

Reactions: Blender

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I would consider switching Zacha and Henrique though to better space out the vets to kid ratio.

I think Zacha could really benefit from Mojo and Palms, and Bratt might benefit playing with a vet in Rico.

This would even out the minutes in the top 9 as well.

Reactions: Darkauron

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
They did this with Santini last year. Despite how he looked they limited his minutes in an attempt to protect him. The
But Santini never looked as good as Bratt looks.

Bratt was excellent last night. That PK in the 3rd was incredible. And he's done that on multiple occasions.

Maybe he's concerned about him wearing down? But I'd deal with that later, ride the lightning.

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site

It doesn't seem like Bratt has a ton of chemistry with Nico where as Stafford does. Bratt also isn't supplanting Palmieri if he's in the lineup so third line is the most logical choice.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Having guys like Henrique and Bratt on the 3rd line makes us very dangerous. We're at our best when we're rolling four lines. Let Bratt get the unsexy PK minutes.

He doesn't need to get 40 points this year, he can help in more important areas. Let other rookies like Nico and Butcher worry about pretty plays and getting points.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad