Injury Report: 16-17 "Robidas Island": All Inhabitants have left the Island

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Teams don't need the league or unions permission to tell a player to stay home. No different than putting a player in the press box. LTIR is the only status that requires permission and medical reports. Not the case for Robidas or Lupul.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
LTIR does. Regular IR doesn't because there's no advantage (cap space) gained from it.

Doesn't the insurance still pay the majority of the salary when the player is on ir? If so you know an insurance company is not doling out any cash unless its been proven to be authentic.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
If Lupul were completely healthy and told to stay home I'm sure he could file a grievance with the union. Lou and Babs can just bench him indefinitely claiming he isn't good enough to crack the roster.

Corrado was benched for what, 2.5 months before seeing the ice? Completely different situations but the option is there if Lupul raises a stink. Riding the bus with the marlies is another option if he really pisses them off. If he refuses then hes suspended without pay.

Last edited:

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Doesn't the insurance still pay the majority of the salary when the player is on ir? If so you know an insurance company is not doling out any cash unless its been proven to be authentic.

Yes but if the leafs decide he needs another month or two to meet the leafs standards then Leafs then pay the entire salary. Corrado is the perfect example of this.

I'm sure at some point this season he'll suit up for the leafs but I don't expect it to be a permanent spot.

Slot

Mar 6, 2012
The only reason not to put them on LTIR is if they're not really injured which is probably the case with both them . There's no other reason not to put them there regardless of how you try to spin it .

It was literally explained why a team would not put a player on LTIR immediately in the post you quoted. LTIR only benefits a team that is up against the cap ceiling. In addition LTIR space can only be used for certain types of players generally callups and players on expiring contracts and can't be used for bonus cushion purposes.

Slot

Mar 6, 2012

Sure, if the contract carries insurance. Not all of them can or do carry insurance. Which is how we got rid of Clarkson.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
LTIR. IR there is no credit.

thanks, sxvnert

:)

Lets face it, Lupul can't physically regain the form he had when Burke gave him that ridiculous contract. His tentative play goes against everything Babs is trying to accomplish.

Essentially, having him in the lineup requires a healthy body out to accommodate, at best a 50-60% player. If the injuries begin to pile up we may see him around Dec/Jan, otherwise he'll take the season off or join the marlies.

Last edited:

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Don't you gain a contract spot? That would be a benefit.

Edit: doubt you gain a contract spot. Just a roster spot which isn't much of a benefit.

A minor benefit but nothing like deferring cap space via LTIR.

Its unfortunate that its come to this because a healthy 20-25 goal Lupul could have come in handy this season.

JVR Bozak Lupul
Michalek Kadri Marner
Komarov Matthews Nylander
Greening/Hyman Laich/Holland Soshnikov
Martin

That's a playoff caliber forward group no matter how you slice it. A healthy Lups on the top line completes three impressive top lines.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
:)

Lets face it, Lupul can't physically regain the form he had when Burke gave him that ridiculous contract. His tentative play goes against everything Babs is trying to accomplish.

Essentially, having him in the lineup requires a healthy body out to accommodate, at best a 50-60% player. If the injuries begin to pile up we may see him around Dec/Jan, otherwise he'll take the season off or join the marlies.

to be fair. that one was on Nonis. but when he got it it was what I fondly call contractitis. He was playing really well (and out of his mind) and even though Dion broke his arm, and then had the concussion he really didn't step the beat. He was megh during the playoffs then all the other injuries piled up. And I think that's something else people are forgetting. his entire game is based on skating and playing aggressive. That's when he is at his best. More oft than not now, he's aggressive he breaks something and with two knee surgeries, and now a sports hernia that's not healing right...

and I don't know colour me naive (and i'll gladly own that card), but IF he were to be healthy I think Babcock and everyone would give him a chance. and what Lupul does with it is his own affair. is it ideal for Shanagement, no, but i do think they'd do it.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Even if healthy Lupul going along with this whole injury thing makes him buyout proof - which in turn makes sure he gets the full amount of his contract.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Even if healthy Lupul going along with this whole injury thing makes him buyout proof - which in turn makes sure he gets the full amount of his contract.

which doesn't benefit the Leafs - so again - people making this shady that the Leafs benefit somehow for Lupul faking the injury or Lou trying the bamboozle people makes no sense. for all intents and purposes Lupul is gone. If he were bought out, Leafs have the contract but the hit (not like they care about that). if he is how he is now the whole cap hit is on the cap. if they DO have to squish him onto LTIR, for the entire year, Leafs lose out on hiding rookie bonus cap hits next year.

the leafs get zero benefit for being "shady".

TML Dynasty

May 2, 2016
which doesn't benefit the Leafs - so again - people making this shady that the Leafs benefit somehow for Lupul faking the injury or Lou trying the bamboozle people makes no sense. for all intents and purposes Lupul is gone. If he were bought out, Leafs have the contract but the hit (not like they care about that). if he is how he is now the whole cap hit is on the cap. if they DO have to squish him onto LTIR, for the entire year, Leafs lose out on hiding rookie bonus cap hits next year.

the leafs get zero benefit for being "shady".

ya but the whole shady/mafia Lou is soooo much fun to think about

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
yeah the whole Godfather thing is just funny
If there was anything shady, I'm sure the NHLPA would be all over it

Or maybe, just maybe, Lou made him an offer he couldn't refuse :sarcasm:

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Berger lol

http://betweentheposts.ca/2016/09/leafs-lupul-go-hollywood-4/

ORONTO (Sep. 23) — Let me begin this blog with a political disclaimer: Perhaps everything we learned about the Toronto Maple Leafs and Joffrey Lupul on Thursday was believable, above–board and trustworthy.

That nearly seven months after undergoing sports–hernia surgery, the veteran, injury–plagued forward still cannot skate without debilitating discomfort and must begin the 2016–17 National Hockey League season on Injured Reserve. And that, yes, once finally recovered, he will return to action and be traditionally compensated — earning his $5.25–million salary and remaining cap hit for the next two seasons. Got it?

Now, run to your nearest window and glance upward for a flock of pigs.

Big Easy

Jan 21, 2014
SW Ontario
Friedman also sounded suspicious on his interview with blundell. I find this whole situation, interesting.

But I'm glad Lupul is gone, at least for now. How cool is our GM?

Xscout*

Feb 9, 2014
Ok... unless they actually black bagged Lups like from V for vendetta - he is injured.

Him and his agent have the ability to file a grievance with the PA if he wasn't actually injured.

The conspiracy theories are just you being bored trust me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad