Injury Report: 16-17 "Robidas Island": All Inhabitants have left the Island

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I think that was last offseason..

yeah. it was last season, he changed up how he trained, gained some weight and did more mobility.
i just think with the myriad of all of his injuries piled up. and if anyone who suffers from anything chronic once one thing hurts you compensate, and that gets hurt etc....

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Some guys just break down. I hope he recovers and it's not something debilitating.(Everyday living wise)

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Yes if his contract was insured.

However if we're forced to use LTIR all season long then we have 0 room for rookie bonuses which mean they all slide to next years cap.

If Lupul were healthy and we just demoted him and don't use LTIR all season long we could use that 925k from demoting him as room and if the rookies hit their bonuses that could go towards that and we wouldn't have so much rookies c=bonuses go to next years cap.

I'm terrible at explaining it, but if you're over the cap using LTIR then all ELC bonuses hit go to the next year. If we could demote Lupul and be under without LTIR(It's close) then whatever we're under is a cushion that goes towards the rookie bonuses.

Say we're over using LTIR and 2 million bonuses get hit then all 2 million goes to next year. Say we could demote Lupul and be 500k under. That only 1.5 million goes to next year.

LTIR is great to help give yoiu a cushion for this year but all ELC bonuses hit move to next year.

We have rookie bonuses from last year on the cap this year. We had around 200k in space but Rielly hit a lot of his bonuses and about 500k is carrying over to this years cap IIRC.

You are freaking out over nothing. It's actually better they slide to next year. We will have 20+ Mil in cap space next year with half the team coming off the books including all the cap dumps we took.

I expect us to be under the cap for the next few seasons as we wait for our ELC's to expire so we can afford them.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
You are freaking out over nothing. It's actually better they slide to next year. We will have 20+ Mil in cap space next year with half the team coming off the books including all the cap dumps we took.

I expect us to be under the cap for the next few seasons as we wait for our ELC's to expire so we can afford them.

Umm that was even close to freaking out. That's called explaining what I was saying.

Obviously it's not a huge deal, especially with the cap space opening up in the offseason. Just saying I would prefer he were healthy and just sent down for those reasons. If he's not healthy that means all 5.25 of his contract has to stay on the team and cap + a replacement player's cap, and we'll likely be over and forced to use LTIR which doesn't have any benefit with regards to ELC bonuses.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Where is the reference to the Hernia complications?

Lou said it in his press conference. he had the sports hernia surgery, he rehabbed, he skated, still felt yucky, he came to Toronto and it wasn't getting better.

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
Lou said it in his press conference. he had the sports hernia surgery, he rehabbed, he skated, still felt yucky, he came to Toronto and it wasn't getting better.

The presser already happened? What else did he discuss?

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
The presser already happened? What else did he discuss?

he liked the WCH (and Blue Jays) taking heat off the Leafs again haha. Andersen is on target, those who get eliminated will have a few days off, everyone is good and happy.

wam_raven

Mar 2, 2007
One of you photoshoppers, can we get a mock map made up for Robidas Island. Cowen Cove, Lupul Resort, a (Nathan) Horton's . By the end of the season we could surely have Loch Laich and Greening Garden's Golf Club.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I really hope he goes into broadcasting - seems like he'd be a good fit for that. And would be more entertaining than most of the Sports the crowd

KPower

Jan 17, 2012
Lupul got sent away and I'm sure he's pissed.

He could have fought it, but he made the best decision for him.

He's not 100% but he could play if the leafs wanted him.

Last edited:

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
Lou does a great job of making sure there's a lid on things at all times.

Nice to know Lupul won't be taking a roster spot from one of the kids.

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
Don't know if this has been posted yet but

Might have been a misunderstanding or maybe there's a 2C going for a short while to Robidas island.

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
sports hernia's take like 2 months to recover after surgery, its been like 5 months...he said hes been skating and training too lol...but whatever, what do we know

when hes on the ice lupul has always played with heart though, and always showed strong character and leadership off the ice

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Lupul got sent away and I'm sure he's pissed.

He could have fought it, but he made the best decision for him.

He's not 100% but he could play if the leafs wanted him.

Is there a source on this besides the already-present unfounded speculation?

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Don't know if this has been posted yet but

Might have been a misunderstanding or maybe there's a 2C going for a short while to Robidas island.

For some reason this doesn't surprise me.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Feel bad for Lupul, but the odds of him lasting over 60 games were slim. Even if this is "questionable" injury, the team really has to move on. He isn't worth a top 9 spot at the time being because we don't expect to contend and he is unable to stay consistently healthy, someone like Brown, Marner or Soshnikov needs those minutes. His contract is a gift and curse, he makes a fortune, but he isn't movable, which is effectively ending his career. He can fight it, but either way, he's ending up in the press box.

The other issue for Lupul is this (which is why I think they aren't fighting it), he could fight it and prove he's healthy, but he's getting bought out at 2/3rds at the end of the year, or he can effectively retire and take home that 1.7 mil that is the difference. The salary cap era has created this situation, no time for sentiment.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad