Injury Report: 16-17 "Robidas Island": All Inhabitants have left the Island

Big Easy

Jan 21, 2014
SW Ontario
Or he actually failed the physical.

If Lupul wants to play and feels like the Leafs and their doctors pulled a fast one, its doubtful he'll just go away quietly.

After all the injuries this guy has had, I would have thought he'd fail a physical on his own by now. But he hadn't until just NOW.

With youth being injected this year, Robidas Island a real place, and Lou in charge, I can't help being at least a little suspicious.

Despite all his injuries, he played 701 games, 205g, 420 pts. A solid career really.

KGL

Auston 3:16
Sep 5, 2014
After all the injuries this guy has had, I would have thought he'd fail a physical on his own by now. But he hadn't until just NOW.

With youth being injected this year, Robidas Island a real place, and Lou in charge, I can't help being at least a little suspicious.

Despite all his injuries, he played 701 games, 205g, 420 pts. A solid career really.

Robidas' injuries are legit too. He said he can't even run. Leafs aren't just pulling a fast one there, I'm not confident that they're pulling a fast one here either. But like I said, if they are, Lupul has the option to be evaluated by an independent doctor.

DopeyFish

Mitchy McDangles
Nov 17, 2009
Robidas' injuries are legit too. He said he can't even run. Leafs aren't just pulling a fast one there, I'm not confident that they're pulling a fast one here either. But like I said, if they are, Lupul has the option to be evaluated by an independent doctor.

But then the Leafs just say lol ok off to the ECHL you go

No player would want that. They aren't buying out the contract, so they're paying him to just do nothing. One could argue he could get another contract... but who would really take the risk these days if they send him to the minors.

Either way there's no way to win if a team wants to bury you. May as well just make the best of it.

No team can be forced to have someone on their active roster or in the lineup. If you have a NMC, they'd just bench you. You could demand a trade all you want... you might not get one. The only tool available to a player is mutual contract termination. That doesn't seem very beneficial.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Isnt this like Clarkson failing his physical. We can put him on LTIR and since his contract is insured the leafs won't have to pay him (insurance company will now have too)?

Yes if his contract was insured.

However if we're forced to use LTIR all season long then we have 0 room for rookie bonuses which mean they all slide to next years cap.

If Lupul were healthy and we just demoted him and don't use LTIR all season long we could use that 925k from demoting him as room and if the rookies hit their bonuses that could go towards that and we wouldn't have so much rookies c=bonuses go to next years cap.

I'm terrible at explaining it, but if you're over the cap using LTIR then all ELC bonuses hit go to the next year. If we could demote Lupul and be under without LTIR(It's close) then whatever we're under is a cushion that goes towards the rookie bonuses.

Say we're over using LTIR and 2 million bonuses get hit then all 2 million goes to next year. Say we could demote Lupul and be 500k under. That only 1.5 million goes to next year.

LTIR is great to help give yoiu a cushion for this year but all ELC bonuses hit move to next year.

We have rookie bonuses from last year on the cap this year. We had around 200k in space but Rielly hit a lot of his bonuses and about 500k is carrying over to this years cap IIRC.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Lupul will not sit at home for two years straight collecting a paycheck.

GrizzLeaf

Registered Bear
Aug 13, 2010
Quebec
Joffrey Lupul sat on a wall
Joffrey Lupul had a great fall
All the king's horses and all the king's men
Couldn't put Joffrey back together again.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
The whole Lupul thing is strange
I'm starting to think he's fine with not playing and just collecting a pay cheque

At the end of last season he was quoted as saying he still wanted to be a hockey player. If that's still the case, then he will try to get himself healthy again, and stay in shape to play. I actually hope, for his sake, that he can still play in the NHL again. I like Lupul as a player, he wore an 'A' for this team, and was an all-star once.

But it sure soulnds like the Leafs organization has no intention of putting him on the ice in a Leafs jersey any time soon. So if he does get to the NHL again, it seems it won't be as a Leaf.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I don't know how many times some people kept arguing about you can't just hide Lupul or just throw him on LTIR...

... not sure it was that hard after all. The guy's body just isn't NHL quality anymore. He should really look at other alternatives, whether that's overseas or simply getting into management, coaching or scouting.

I doubt you'll see Lupul anytime soon.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I'm starting to think he's fine with not playing and just collecting a pay cheque

...Or maybe he just --- straight up --- isn't healthy? I'm sure he would play if he could.

Falon

May 21, 2004
Kitchener, Ontario
Or maybe, like almost everyone who has a recurring injury, he didn't want to admit it to himself. He doesn't want it to interfere with his life. He might not have full mobility, there could be nerve damage or he just might live with pain everyday. We as fans, are not privy to the full story on Lupul's medical situation and we only know what is released. He's been in steady decline since the beginning of the 14-15 season, so it's just possible that his injuries have finally caught up with him to the point that he can no longer ignore them. It's kinda funny, but if you look closely at how this story has unfolded, you can almost see the 7 stages or grief/loss. Aside from the media and management, some part of him probably knew this was a distinct possibility, even if he wasn't ready to accept it.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Presser today? I know both Lou and Lupes will address the situation today

Training camp roster will be released over the next hour or so and Lou will have a press conference I believe, very likely touching on some situations like Lupul, Robidas, etc.

Maybe it'll like last year where he announced a trade :naughty:

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
I don't even think Lupul will make it past an exhibition game.

If we're not counting Lupul because he's almost a gimme, I'll agree with Marshy and go with Michalek.

lol Lupul is injured before training camp. He's like the centre of a bingo card, the free space.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Seems to me the way Lou has been talking for a long time that he knows that Lupul has a preexisting medical condition that would have resulted in failing a medical and thus able to be placed on LTIR legally.

Lupul has a long laundry list of previous injuries that are taking its toll including a very serious back injury in the past even before he became a Leaf.

Lupul likely in the past decided to deal with it and struggle through and nobody in management prevented it. But now that Lou is here and the team is being managed differently there is no need to allow an injury player to battle through if you see better use of a roster spot and the cap space.

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
He didn't get injured --- he was never healthy.

I guess. I thought I read something earlier that he was working hard this summer at putting on some more muscle, to become less injury prone, perhaps I was imagining it.
It's a shame, I enjoyed watching him play when he was healthy, and actually have a Lupul sweater.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
well then i don't have to listen to gameday then.
someone whistle if there's any Leafs pressers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad