Prospect Info: #13 Nico Hischier: "I love to hockey" Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJ07102

Apr 15, 2012
Germany
Well, after four games it looks to me that Hischier might not be ready for the NHL just yet. In Toronto he looked overwhelmed and yesterday we got more of the same. He clearly needs to fill out his frame to be able to compete at this level. In other words: Especially since we have a rather deep talent pool up front, it might be a good idea to send him back to Junior after 9 games. I know, first overall picks never get sent down and are supposed to step right in, but I think nobody is doing him a favor by leaving him in there to get pushed around by much stronger guys. That is nothing against Nico or the fact that he was drafted first overall. The talent is clearly there. But he is just not ready physically.

Reactions: Devils Dominion

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Didn't take long for the hot takes to come out I see.

I think it's valid to say he's not strong enough yet. His shiftiness helps him not get completely dominated, but against bigger, structured teams he's probably going to struggle (as will most of the team).

chokei

Dec 31, 2011
Zürich
Well, after four games it looks to me that Hischier might not be ready for the NHL just yet. In Toronto he looked overwhelmed and yesterday we got more of the same. He clearly needs to fill out his frame to be able to compete at this level. In other words: Especially since we have a rather deep talent pool up front, it might be a good idea to send him back to Junior after 9 games. I know, first overall picks never get sent down and are supposed to step right in, but I think nobody is doing him a favor by leaving him in there to get pushed around by much stronger guys. That is nothing against Nico or the fact that he was drafted first overall. The talent is clearly there. But he is just not ready physically.

I agree, I was surprised how well he did in preseason and the first two NHL games, but more and more it looks like it's not enough yet for a full NHL season. And the going will only get tougher as the season goes on. It's also a bit sad for Nico that this has to be his rookie season; as a first overall you wish to leave at least somewhat of an impression. They should have the courage to send him to Europe, because I think AHL is not possible right?

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
It's prob best to have him play one more season in juniors.

Let him grow physically into a nhl player.

I don't think he can last season I'm the grind of the NHL.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
I’d like to see more from Nico but saying he’s not NHL ready at this point is ridiculous. Give it more than 4 games before your hot take. He’s had two brilliant games and two meh games. He easily could have a couple more assists and a goal. The “he’s not ready” narrative wouldn’t be there if he had more points.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I’d like to see more from Nico but saying he’s not NHL ready at this point is ridiculous. Give it more than 4 games before your hot take. He’s had two brilliant games and two meh games. He easily could have a couple more assists and a goal. The “he’s not ready” narrative wouldn’t be there if he had more points.
Agreed. Not every team is built like the Caps are.

NJ07102

Apr 15, 2012
Germany

I said he MIGHT not be ready, not that he isn't ready. I also said I'd give him 9 games no matter what. I did not see two brilliant games, though. I saw two ok games and two where he was really struggling. I saw brilliant games in pre season. What is clear is that if he has space, he can be effective at this point. But he is not strong enough to create space when other teams check him real tight. I agree with Chokei: If he continues to struggle, it may be good for him to play a year in the Swiss National League. And yeah, if he had more points we'd probably not have this discussion. But fact is he doesn't.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I said he MIGHT not be ready, not that he isn't ready. I also said I'd give him 9 games no matter what. I did not see two brilliant games, though. I saw two ok games and two where he was really struggling. I saw brilliant games in pre season. What is clear is that if he has space, he can be effective at this point. But he is not strong enough to create space when other teams check him real tight. I agree with Chokei: If he continues to struggle, it may be good for him to play a year in the Swiss National League. And yeah, if he had more points we'd probably not have this discussion. But fact is he doesn't.

If that's what you saw, then you're expecting way too much from him. He's not going to wow you every shift; that's not his game. His game is playing structured 200ft hockey with the ability to make skilled plays within that.

He was very good and active the first two games. Created and had the puck on his stick a lot. Against Toronto, they gave him the Matthews treatment and he held his own. That's why he was 'struggling' but he also managed to hold Matthews in check.

Last night he looked rough. But so did Bratt and just about every other forward. Capitals do a terrific job at closing down time and space, staying in the lanes, and using their sticks and bodies to disrupt the other team at every step of the way. There was no open ice and Hischier did look frustrated.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Nico's skill is NHL ready, his body isn't.

No big deal, he's 18 for heaven's sake, but I'd give him 3rd line minutes, not 2nd line minutes.

This was my "hot take" from the GDT last night:

Hischier, we have a problem.

My opinion (sure to be politically incorrect and unpopular here) is the elephant in the room re: Nico Hischier.

He's a boy playing a man's game. A boy with an NHL skill set, but not the frame to properly use & take advantage of it.

The book is clearly out on this kid after 3 games. Just pin him on the boards and it's like a hawk holding down a mouse. Whenever a Cap had the chance, it was Hischier rubs glass time.

Nico clearly needs to grow & bulk up with some strength conditioning in the off-season to be able to use his world class skill set at the NHL level. This might be a tough year for him.

Last edited:

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
If you didn’t see him playing really well his first two games, you weren’t watching closely and you should probably go and do that.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Nico's skill is NHL ready, his body isn't.

No big deal, he's 18 for heaven's sake, but I'd give him 3rd line minutes, not 2nd line minutes.

This was my "hot take" from the GDT last night:
I agree with what you're saying, and I think he needs to play with bigger players so he can fill a different role right now until he starts filling out. Hischier with Johansson and Bratt just isn't a good line. I compared him to Stamkos in the GDT, and I will stand by that. Stamkos had a pretty poor first half and didn't look physically ready, but he had NHL skill and Melrose didn't use him properly. With a new coach and getting better over the season, he exploded for a lot of points down the stretch.

severian

Aug 19, 2007
Westfield
With no Zajac and no Boyle, I have a hard time seeing Nico not sticking. What I wouldn't mind is moving Nico to wing when (if?) Boyle comes back.

9 37 21
90 14 63
13 11 18
39 40 23

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I think he's been fantastic. Sure his physical maturity isn't there yet but that's part of having an 18 year old in the lineup and it really hasn't been a problem. Edit: it hasn't cost us anything, and he has been good defensively.

Bratt also had a shitty game and no one is really mentioning it...it was Washington

There would be no reason whatsoever to send Hischier anywhere.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Either that or someone needs to teach him how to take a faceoff, because without going to nhl.com and seeing what his FO% is, I'm sure it's ugly.
Crosby was horrible his first few seasons at faceoffs, they still played him there. (not that Nico is Crosby, just saying)

We aren't an expected playoff team, so you leave Nico at center and you play him with linemates that complement his style of play instead of two guys that play just like him.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
He wouldn’t be the first player who needed to learn to create some space against bigger stronger players. Get the video coach and the skills coach and go to work on it with him. He’s a hard worker and a smart kid so he will learn what to do with some guidance and practice. Look Pittsburgh only scored 3 goals on the Caps. I think the problems against the Caps were more team structure and discipline issues than time just young player issues. Nico needs NHL level detail teaching. Hopefully NJ offers that to him and he will learn how to play a finesse game against bigger guys.

The Wumpus

bottomless pit supervisor
May 9, 2011
Morristown, NJ
People are overlooking the Caps because they choke in the playoffs and lost some talent over the offseason. They are still one of the better (regular season) teams in hockey. They were on their game last night and were the better team.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
Does the 9 game rule matter if he wanted to go back to Switzerland instead? Or is he under contract w the mooseheads? Because I thought the idea was if he's not ready, to play in Bern

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Does the 9 game rule matter if he wanted to go back to Switzerland instead? Or is he under contract w the mooseheads? Because I thought the idea was if he's not ready, to play in Bern
The 9 game rule has nothing to do with where he is sent, just how many NHL games he plays this season. I wouldn't expect him to go anywhere though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad