Prospect Info: #13 Nico Hischier: "I love to hockey" Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Disagree with the hot take crew completely.

The things that Nico needs to learn can only be learned at this level.

And frankly, I feel more relaxed when the kids are on the ice than when we have our vets defending. Which I haven’t been able to say since Zajac first came up.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Nico's skill is NHL ready, his body isn't.

No big deal, he's 18 for heaven's sake, but I'd give him 3rd line minutes, not 2nd line minutes.

Can't say I disagree with either. No crime in putting Henrique in the top six if it comes to it, and Zajac later in the season.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ

Wow. Yikes. Like I said, I knew Nico's FO % was going to be ugly.

You never know though, maybe it's just a low 'N's statistics thing since the season is young. Need to see more data, once he takes 100 draws I'll reevaluate and hopefully it's up to 48% or something.

Bratt also had a ****ty game and no one is really mentioning it...it was Washington

Why do you say Bratt had a bad game? In the context of "nobody had a good game", I thought Bratt was fine last night.

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
Hischier's playing fine. He's 2nd on the team in iCF, 1st in iSCF, and tied for 2nd in iHDCF. That's individual corsi for, scoring chances for, and high-danger chances for, respectively.

He's also top 10 in on ice SF, SF%, GF, GF%, SC, SCF%, HDC, and HDCF%.

He's been one of our best players and the points will come.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Wow. Yikes. Like I said, I knew Nico's FO % was going to be ugly.

You never know though, maybe it's just a low 'N's statistics thing since the season is young. Need to see more data, once he takes 100 draws I'll reevaluate and hopefully it's up to 48% or something.

Why do you say Bratt had a bad game? In the context of "nobody had a good game", I thought Bratt was fine last night.
I thought he gave away the puck more last than he did in the previous 3 games combined. I thought his decision making making with the puck wasn't as good as it previously has been. Of course Washington had a lot if not everything to do with it but really what my point was in saying that was after a game like that, where the team was systematically shut down, focusing on players for not performing up to expectations is useless.

Reactions: Comparison Ford

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
I thought he gave away the puck

Speaking of giveaways, does anyone know how the NHL calculates giveaways? I've never understood it, but it must have to be crazy blatant.

The Devils had a total of 6 giveaways last night. I would have guessed it was 66, but as I said, I have no idea how they score those, and I've been curious about it for years.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Speaking of giveaways, does anyone know how the NHL calculates giveaways? I've never understood it, but it must have to be crazy blatant.

The Devils had a total of 6 giveaways last night. I would have guessed it was 66, but as I said, I have no idea how they score those, and I've been curious about it for years.
No clue, and it varies wildly based on the building you're in. I'm sure there is some sort of criteria, but it's really subjective for the person counting them.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003

They don't typically count shots, attempted shots, zone clears or dumps-in that result in a change of possession...it's definitely subjective. Especially subjective with passes but the NHL definition is..

Giveaway - A giveaway is when a players own actions result in a loss of possession to the opposing team.

Last edited:

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
They don't typically count shots, attempted shots, zone clears or dumps-in that result in a change of possession...it's definitely subjective. Exspecially subjective with passes but the NHL definition is..

Giveaway - A giveaway is when a players own actions result in a loss of possession to the opposing team.
Considering how many times we coughed the puck up at the bluelines last night, we should have had far more giveaways based on that vague definition. :laugh:

They seem to only ever count giveaways and takeaways as one player stripping the puck from another player.

Reactions: BenedictGomez

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ

Well that seems pretty self-explanatory........ except it obviously isn't.

If you asked me to write a definition of what a "giveaway" is, I'd come up with a sentence exactly like the above, and yet I'm the one who has no idea how giveaways are calculated. lol

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Saying he needs to be sent back is way premature. WAY premature. Just 2 or 3 games ago, people were talking him up, now he needs to be sent back to the OHL?

The bottom line is he's averaging not even 15 minutes of ice time. Much like Zacha last year. If he plays this low of minutes all year, he's probably not going to score much. Hopefully the minutes go up a bit, at least after a couple months.

If anything, send his parents home. He hasn't scored a goal since they've been attending games haha.

Reactions: theoptimist

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
MAYBE Nico's parents should just go home to Switzerland so their son can get off the schneid.
Haha that's what I've been saying. Were they even around during preseason when he scored all those goals?

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
When Nico arrived in Halifax, the first games were not the bests. He improved with time. And the average pt/game was actually skewed over the year.
in preseason, like the first game wasn't his best !! but he scored ... so no one has anything to say about it. But his first game was way worse than yesterday's Ranger game TBH.
Now he is settling into a NHL game. So far he didn't score ... also due to un-luck. If he dad now what he has + 3 goals , we wouldn't say he had lucky bounces !! He is playing better and better.
Against the Caps, he got exposed, the whole team got exposed. Young fast inexperienced run and gun team vs organized Vets with talent. The same game in 6 months won't be the same game.
How many penalties is he drawing ?? how many ? how many times is he the extra-pressure on the adverse team that leads them to make the wrong pass ? how many times is he the last stick before the puck reaches an opponent ready (or well positioned) to score ??

Not saying he should stay in NHL. But i am saying that he is progressing every game. And that he may be light for the NHL but he is delivering presently.

PS if parents are still in NJ, i suspect that Nico is not doing well !!

Reactions: My3Sons

devilos

Jun 18, 2012
Arlington, VA
I thought Nico's game was decent last night. Better than TOR and WSH. Drew two penalties and got an assist (not sure where his assist came in on Stafford's goal, but a point is a point). He began a nice setup on the PP which created a prime scoring chance. You can tell he has Hynes' trust and is going nowhere based on the big defensive minutes he got at the end of the game. I am concerned about how easily pushed around he has been, but that is something that will just take time as he fills out his frame.

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
I'm getting superstitious about his parents being there every game too at this point and wish they'd give it a break one game just to see.

On the other hand I'm sure they feel they can't chance missing his 1st goal.

Keep doing all the right things that lead to goals and the rewards will come.

ghdi

Feb 4, 2009
NJ
lol at the hand wringing over an 18 year old with 4 games played

He's doing plenty right. The goals will come.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
So people are getting impatient with Nico, who's basically a 18 year old with 4 pro games under his belt yet no one is bitching about Hall who's been below average since the get go?

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
Well that seems pretty self-explanatory........ except it obviously isn't.

If you asked me to write a definition of what a "giveaway" is, I'd come up with a sentence exactly like the above, and yet I'm the one who has no idea how giveaways are calculated. lol
I'd say a giveaway is when you fumble the puck yourself, but a takeaway is when someone causes a player to fumble, and then takes the puck. I guess it's all about who causes it? Idk how you read that on the fly though, considering how fast the game moves

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
I'd say a giveaway is when you fumble the puck yourself, but a takeaway is when someone causes a player to fumble, and then takes the puck. I guess it's all about who causes it? Idk how you read that on the fly though, considering how fast the game moves

No clue. For instance, the Rangers had 16 giveaways last night (link below). In terms of the way the NHL counts giveaways, I do know that that's a **** ton of giveaways in one game.

Now, as I was watching the game, did I think to myself, "gee, everyone on the Rangers is coughing up the puck" last night?

No, I did not, but again I reiterate, I have no flippin' clue how this league "counts" giveaways.

https://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/njd-...me=2017020065,game_state=final,game_tab=stats

His initial shot missed the goal and it went out of the zone and Butcher retrieved it

I had no idea you're credited with an assist for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad