Prospect Info: 129th Overall, Dman Topias Vilen

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
Only reasons I could see are that he’s had a long season and they don’t just want to bring some new fresh 20 year old into the lineup mid playoffs. Who knows how it affects the room.

Maybe let him just get some practices in and see how it goes and he feels.

They did it with Shakir last year, right? Probably something that they will bring up with Vilen and see how he feels.

Reactions: Captain3rdLine

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
They did it with Shakir last year, right? Probably something that they will bring up with Vilen and see how he feels.
Ya think there’s a decent chance it happens. Don’t think he’s turn down an opportunity like that either.

Reactions: Forge

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Misread Finnish post. Thought it said Jamsen scored game-winning goal.

So how soon can Vilen join the Comets?

Might be after Vapua.

FinnishDevil

Dec 6, 2013
Finland
I didnt find confirmation yet but in the Liiga game 5 broadcast they mentioned that Vilen would be joining Utica soon. It was just the commentator though, so no clue if he has any real info. They also mentioned that the Devils Development Coach Esa Pirnes has been in all the final games watching him.

I saw maybe half of Pelicans games this playoffs and I must say I was surprised by his offense and shot. I dont think he showed that much at the World Juniors other than being a work horse but he really won me over in these playoffs.

I wouldnt even say he has crazy offensive skills, but rather than that he's got this offensive instinct that allowed him to be in the right place at the right time. A lot of this goals were opportunistic plays. Still, it was often him who jumped up when his team needed a goal or a spark. No way I wouldve guessed he's one of the youngest players in the team. Played like a veteran.

@Guttersniped I love those Google translated Finnish tweets. I swear, its a really great tool for almost any language but I guess Finnish is too difficult even for Google. Always puts a smile on my face when I see those tweets. I guess y'all get the idea though.

I was trying to think of an NHL comparable final to this Tappara-Pelicans series. Best I could think of was Tampa-Montreal. Tappara has been an absolute dynasty since 2013 (only missed finals twice in that period) and now the 4th title since then and also second back-to-back. Pelicans season was the classic fairytale story. They were picked to miss the playoffs, finished 4th in the regular season and in the semi finals they went against 2nd seed Ilves also from Tampere like Tappara. All the media has been hyping up the Tampere final for the past year or so and they took out Ilves despite all the odds. Heartbreaking way to lose game 5, but in the end the better team won.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Dude... i had to wait 5 months to get an appointment in the US embassy in Helsinki last year for my visa. Good luck Topias..
You would have gotten an appointment sooner if you had bribed the US workers with guns bourbon polyester clothes and fatty processed food.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
I’m sure NHL players have an expedited process compared to HF posters

He was also already under contract. IIRC the visa issues we've seen (Bratt specifically) have been players that couldn't apply until they signed a contract or got traded to an American team.

So maybe he already has a visa based on his ELC.

Capt Nico Poo

Holik to HHOF
Nov 7, 2009
Finland
I’m sure NHL players have an expedited process compared to HF posters
He was also already under contract. IIRC the visa issues we've seen (Bratt specifically) have been players that couldn't apply until they signed a contract or got traded to an American team.

So maybe he already has a visa based on his ELC.
I dont know if pro athletes qualify for the emergency visas. Other than that they should be treated just like anyone else applying for a work permit. AHL players dont exactly get the kings ransom salary in the US, dunno why they should get an expedited process.

But if Topias has been smart, he has gotten his process started ages ago. Problem is, you need to be quite definitive when will you start your work in the US. You cant just get a visa and say ill come over whenever during the next 3 years, you need to have a specific starting date.

Usually this isnt an issue but Trump's government cut down some of embassy resources and when covid hit i think many US embassies got horribly short-staffed. That double-whammy effect is taking a while to fix.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Dude... i had to wait 5 months to get an appointment in the US embassy in Helsinki last year for my visa. Good luck Topias..

They might have set it up sooner since he was always under contract and just on loan to a Finnish club.

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I’m not sure why it took me until now to realize you opened with Dude. Were you wearing a bowling shirt with mustard stains and socks with slides when you typed that? What makes you think they will let you back into Finland at this point?

Reactions: Guadana

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
They might have set it up sooner since he was always under contract and just on loan to a Finnish club.
Could he not have already had it in September since he was already under contract, being paid, and technically working for the devils?

Also this

Expected joint the comets early next week. So guessing the visa is all figured out

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
Hopefully he goes right into the lineup. He was playing we in Finland before his season ended. A Utica playoff run would be insane. Since I really started following the Devils on a hard-core basis I can't remember the last time they made any form of an AHL playoff run since like 2010.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad