Prospect Info: 129th Overall, Dman Topias Vilen

HyperX

Fire Ruff and co. !
Jul 21, 2021
Im obsessed with defensive defenseman, so ill take it!

Finland has had quite the youth program these last 5-7 years ive been paying attention

Reactions: NjdevilfanJim

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
They don't like the RD in this draft clearly.

They are trying to sign a rather big time RD though.

Hamilton is one guy and they have no depth whatsoever at the younger ages. Subban and Sevs are close to expiration also. It’s something they have to stock up on at some point given the cost in trades is ridiculous. Walsh and maybe McCarthy isn’t enough. Not a huge deal right now but it shows a lack of planning to me.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Hamilton is one guy and they have no depth whatsoever at the younger ages. Subban and Sevs are close to expiration also. It’s something they have to stock up on at some point given the cost in trades is ridiculous. Walsh and maybe McCarthy isn’t enough. Not a huge deal right now but it shows a lack of planning to me.

Does it? If they think the RD in the draft suck they ahoupdt draft them.

We also so yesterday the cost to trade for RD is absurdly expensive.

My3Sons

Sponsor
Does it? If they think the RD in the draft suck they ahoupdt draft them.

We also so yesterday the cost to trade for RD is absurdly expensive.

this is a number of years where all but two RD have sucked apparently and where no team has had a project defender on the right forced out. I’m not saying take anyone but at this point in a draft all the players are rolls of the dice

Look at it this way - how many LD does this kid have to pass to even make the AHL let alone the NHL? I’ll suggest that Luke and Smith are with NJ long term and at least two of the depth prospects will make it as well. It’s just redundant to pick a kid with this skill set. I can’t imagine there aren’t similar value players who shoot righty on defense

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
this is a number of years where all but two RD have sucked apparently and where no team has had a project defender on the right forced out. I’m not saying take anyone but at this point in a draft all the players are rolls of the dice

No team drafts like that. They take BPA on their board. You don't go 12 spots down your board for positional need.

My3Sons

Sponsor
No team drafts like that. They take BPA on their board. You don't go 12 spots down your board for positional need.

We know from the Walsh -Popaguav picks that the boards can be pretty fluid once you get past round two. I get your point but I’m skeptical they have no righties remotely close to this on their board. It’s just something they aren’t concerned about for whatever reason but I’d be curious if they have even discussed it.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Yes you can, later on the board. And teams do draft for need and value. You have limited number of picks and you have to fill needs.

Carolina traded down and grabbed what I considered the most worthwhile RD in 2nd round range and that’s going to be for need but those RD were 2nd pick worthy. Wingers often rate high because of their offense but you can’t have prospect pool dominated by wingers, value can’t be sole determining factor.

Fitz isn’t particularly good at getting value out of his picks, the goalie at 100 is travesty and the fact that Detroit traded the #102 to Vegas for the #114 & #155 picks makes it way worse. Bad value picks and an inability to do a pick trade is a bad combination.

It wasn’t a good year for RD but getting one fringy one at #164 is something that can be criticized. They stumble at times in drafts, the I like or I’m ok with most of the picks when looked at individually.

Carolina left with four RHD.
Nashville got 2 RHD
starting to lose consciousness but the point is it was doable to a bit better there.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Yes you can, later on the board. And teams do draft for need and value. You have limited number of picks and you have to fill needs.

Carolina traded down and grabbed what I considered the most worthwhile RD in 2nd round range and that’s going to be for need but those RD were 2nd pick worthy. Wingers often rate high because of their offense but you can’t have prospect pool dominated by wingers, value can’t be sole determining factor.

Fitz isn’t particularly good at getting value out of his picks, the goalie at 100 is travesty and the fact that Detroit traded the #102 to Vegas for the #114 & #155 picks makes it way worse. Bad value picks and an inability to do a pick trade is a bad combination.

It wasn’t a good year for RD but getting one fringy one at #164 is something that can be criticized. They stumble at times in drafts, the I like or I’m ok with most of the picks when looked at individually.

Carolina left with four RHD.
Nashville got 2 RHD
starting to lose consciousness but the point is it was doable to a bit better there.
I think the lack of RHD in the organization is absolutely something that can be criticized.

And aight maybe they could be making trades like Vegas did(though we have made trades in the past).

But it's pretty clear that the Devils' board's under Castron look nothing like consensus.

Reactions: Guadana

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
From where we sit I think it looks like Devils have factored in need in recent drafts. Holtz as a goal scoring winger(and I would have been shocked if they didn't take Drysdale if he was available there) but the bit physical d-men later all seemed theme oriented.

Goalie every year also looks to be against BPA drafting.

Reactions: Guadana and My3Sons

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela

Look at it this way - how many LD does this kid have to pass to even make the AHL let alone the NHL? I’ll suggest that Luke and Smith are with NJ long term and at least two of the depth prospects will make it as well. It’s just redundant to pick a kid with this skill set. I can’t imagine there aren’t similar value players who shoot righty on defense
Idk if it helps but luke plays RD also

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020

I agree I liked Morrow and Iorio along with Mallough.....Iorio can play mean good pick by Caps of all teams ugh.....I wonder fo they see Luke and Smith playing offside?

Reactions: My3Sons

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ

Big ifs but hopefully we get Dougie and re-sign Sevo when he’s up and we don’t have to worry about RD all that much

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Sponsor
I agree I liked Morrow and Iorio along with Mallough.....Iorio can play mean good pick by Caps of all teams ugh.....I wonder fo they see Luke and Smith playing offside?

I presume they think they can make do with their six best defenders whoever that might be. Maybe it’s fine. It just seems like an organizational blind spot when viewed from the outside where I sit. They have lefties piled up from Utica to Ufa. Smith, Bahl, Okhotiyuk, Vukojevic, Misuyl, Mukhamadullin, the kid drafted yesterday, maybe I’m missing one or two. Just odd that they have only three guys with right hand shots. For whatever reason it’s not important to them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad