TSN Radio: 1290 am - Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Babooch

Jan 7, 2014
After our second kid wife's uterus fell out on its own. Felt like I won the lotto.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
So real talk for a minute - the wife and I decided we're done having kids (we've got 3) so naturally as a TSN 1290 listener Dr Jay was brought to mind. No needle and no scalpel downstairs? Yes please!

So I booked the procedure and it was yesterday. I've heard horror stories of how awful a vasectomy is. I have to say, this has been a cake walk. The procedure did involve some very minor discomfort, and recovery has been a breeze. They said once the freezing wore off I would feel like I had been kicked in the nuts. I feel like I was kicked in the nuts maybe a week or two ago. 24 hours removed, I couldn't be happier with how I'm feeling considering what my junk just went through.

For anyone considering it, I can't more highly recommend Dr Jay. Even gave me a Tim's card on the way out and said to grab a coffee on the way home on him!

I didn't go to Dr Jay, but if you're sure you don't want any more kids (I have three also) a vasectomy is totally the way to go. The worst part was having an older Asian man touching my junk and making small talk. The pain was almost negligible.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
I didn't go to Dr Jay, but if you're sure you don't want any more kids (I have three also) a vasectomy is totally the way to go. The worst part was having an older Asian man touching my junk and making small talk. The pain was almost negligible.

Hopefully wasn't this guy

david-suzuki.jpg

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Kevin O has a bad habit of talking loudly over top of people when he's trying to make a funny.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
1290 are massive homers. Lack of critical analysis and criticism must be in the contract.

really not true. Some of them don't look at things very deeply but Westwood and Rewicki definitely are perfectly happy to criticize the team and org. Lots of talk about coaching this morning...Toth doesn't seem to think you can blame the coach though. He keeps saying "but Maurice has talked about all these issues constantly in his pressers...you don't think he's working on them with the team?" Yeah, of course he is Jim. Any coach at the NHL level is going to be able to identify issues that need attention. That doesn't mean they are all equal when it comes to developing systems and so forth to deal with them...

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
1290 are massive homers. Lack of critical analysis and criticism must be in the contract.
In this order of homers or toeing the Jet line.

#1Kevin O. I have no use for the guy. He's boring and a bad interviewer. I will complain about others but I will still listen, I don't care enough of his opinionsor his personality to listen to much of him. Combine that with him just going along with whatever nonsense the Jet organization wants to feed us and he's the worst.

#2 Ralph. He believes fans are idiots for having opinions on the team they are FANatical about.

#3 Toth. Who believes that if you cant score you are automatically a fantastic defensive player.

#4 Hustler. He's on the lesser extent. But still tries to rationalize some of the nonsense.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
Kevin O is so full of sunshine and unicorns for everything Winnipeg sports that they're spewing out all nine of his holes, and his cutesy what-a-pal-I-am delivery is sickeningly saccharine.

Reactions: drumzan

Saintb

May 5, 2016
Saintb
Scott Campbell wrote a really good column today about the Jets game. He is very good in my opinion, balanced and analytical, and he brings the credibility of being a former player.

leer2006

Jan 20, 2010
Transcona
Toth almost makes the show unlistenable. I feel somedays like calling in just to tell him to shut the **** up!

BellMTSPlace

Oct 5, 2017
BellMTSPlace_____Downtown
As I worked with TSN1290 especially people like Gary Lawless. I know 1290 very well and how they operate. Their biggest problem is they want to balance local hosting with not being repetitive with fan participation. So they are not too worried about Jets/Bomber fans hating on certain hosts as they know you will still listen. They care to offer the best available insider information and information from knowledgeable hosts like Troy Westwood and Chris Walby. But their biggest problem is that they do not have the full exclusive rights to the Blue Bombers (YET. 1290 is puting in an offer the Blue Bombers wont be able to refuse) Most of their hockey pundits are journalists and radio hosts that are passionate Jets fans. So fans opinions have wide range of knowledge and opinions.

Imagine hanging out with 20 Jets fans. Each fan will have their own opinion.

BUT 1290 has become the peoples voice station. And that is not a bad thing. However they have become extremely dull and at times non-professional in their approach being the pathway from fans to the local organizations.

If you listen to major local sports stations in New York, Chicago, Detroit,etc They hold power. Watch Mike and the Mad Dog 30 for 30 on TSN this weekend if you haven't seen it already. These are hosts that do not hold back and do what they can from their radio seat to influence the local sports personnel.

1290 does not do this. Its all opinions and using fans opinions to formulate their own views together and create radio programming.

We need a radio host that will attack management. Ask the hard questions. Until then. 1290 will just be useful for interviews, listening to pre/post game chatter, play by play, and press releases/media conferences.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
OK, which one of you posters called in yesterday? I heard a caller yesterday on the drive home state state almost verbatim one of the posts on another thread...something about Game of Thrones and how long the nights used in an analogy of Paul Maurice and/or Chevy:laugh:.

To their credit, Hustler and Rick seemed as baffled as many of us on here that Lowry received as much ice time as he did, particularly on the power play. One or both of them commented that Lowry would be much better suited to the fourth line.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
Just had the misfortune of listening to radio's Kevin Oldshelfsky interview TV's Kevin Sawyer, two guys who prove you don't have to be 50 years old to be a dinosaur.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad