TSN Radio: 1290 am - Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
As I worked with TSN1290 especially people like Gary Lawless. I know 1290 very well and how they operate. Their biggest problem is they want to balance local hosting with not being repetitive with fan participation. So they are not too worried about Jets/Bomber fans hating on certain hosts as they know you will still listen. They care to offer the best available insider information and information from knowledgeable hosts like Troy Westwood and Chris Walby. But their biggest problem is that they do not have the full exclusive rights to the Blue Bombers (YET. 1290 is puting in an offer the Blue Bombers wont be able to refuse) Most of their hockey pundits are journalists and radio hosts that are passionate Jets fans. So fans opinions have wide range of knowledge and opinions.

Interesting. I hope they bring Irving along to do PBP, but keep him the hell away from the pre- and postgame show.

Why? For one, I really like the chemistry between Bauming, Westwood and Walby. The other thing is that Irving, more and more these days, just whiffs on the point callers are making. Yeah it's mostly dopes phoning in, but I've had to change from 680 to 1290 in disgust a few times after listening to surprisingly valid, insightful points completely sail over Knuckles' head.

broinwhyteridge

Jun 27, 2011
Fire Maurice
Interesting. I hope they bring Irving along to do PBP, but keep him the hell away from the pre- and postgame show.

Why? For one, I really like the chemistry between Bauming, Westwood and Walby. The other thing is that Irving, more and more these days, just whiffs on the point callers are making. Yeah it's mostly dopes phoning in, but I've had to change from 680 to 1290 in disgust a few times after listening to surprisingly valid, insightful points completely sail over Knuckles' head.
That happens to Toth on an hourly basis.

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg

I'm guessing that if CJOB was to lose the broadcasting rights for the Bombers to TSN, more than likely Bob Irving would probably retire. The guy is 67 years old and started at CJOB 44 years ago in 1973. Not sure if he would go to TSN at such a late stage in his career. I definitely won't say it couldn't happen but it does seem unlikely given the circumstances.

:jets

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
I'm guessing that if CJOB was to lose the broadcasting rights for the Bombers to TSN, more than likely Bob Irving would probably retire. The guy is 67 years old and started at CJOB 44 years ago in 1973. Not sure if he would go to TSN at such a late stage in his career. I definitely won't say it couldn't happen but it does seem unlikely given the circumstances.

Fun fact: Bob Irving was the prior owner of my Lincoln. It's like a brush with greatness. My hands have held the same steering wheel, my feet have pressed the same pedals, my ass... OK, maybe we don't go there. :laugh:

As for 1290 getting the Bombers, could be inside info. Could just be BS.

Reactions: purdy44 and pictman

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
Every time I turn on 1290 all I hear about is "the timing of that timeout in Edmonton". Every host, every caller, every special guest.

It's times like these that make me wonder if there's a directive from TNSE for the media. The last time was after Pavelec played that game last season and the next week was all about his "near perfect" play, how important it was to have the stability he brought, etc., Etc. And it's always every media channel,too. Sun, Free press, tsn, same hard pushed message.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
Every time I turn on 1290 all I hear about is "the timing of that timeout in Edmonton". Every host, every caller, every special guest.

It's times like these that make me wonder if there's a directive from TNSE for the media. The last time was after Pavelec played that game last season and the next week was all about his "near perfect" play, how important it was to have the stability he brought, etc., Etc. And it's always every media channel,too. Sun, Free press, tsn, same hard pushed message.
I think you are onto something...

TheDeuce

Halak, Ryder, and a second.
Feb 22, 2009
So real talk for a minute - the wife and I decided we're done having kids (we've got 3) so naturally as a TSN 1290 listener Dr Jay was brought to mind. No needle and no scalpel downstairs? Yes please!

So I booked the procedure and it was yesterday. I've heard horror stories of how awful a vasectomy is. I have to say, this has been a cake walk. The procedure did involve some very minor discomfort, and recovery has been a breeze. They said once the freezing wore off I would feel like I had been kicked in the nuts. I feel like I was kicked in the nuts maybe a week or two ago. 24 hours removed, I couldn't be happier with how I'm feeling considering what my junk just went through.

For anyone considering it, I can't more highly recommend Dr Jay. Even gave me a Tim's card on the way out and said to grab a coffee on the way home on him!

OK quit that. I'm getting the snip job and I've been reminding my wife that it'll be followed up by at least two days of bedrest during which she'll have to bring me my breakfast, lunch, dinner, and a variety of cocktails while I writhe in pain in bed. If there happens to be a Jets and Bomber game that I have to watch from bed, well, that's just a coincidence.

m.

TheDeuce

Feb 22, 2009
I didn't go to Dr Jay, but if you're sure you don't want any more kids (I have three also) a vasectomy is totally the way to go. The worst part was having an older Asian man touching my junk and making small talk. The pain was almost negligible.

My buddy avoided this issue by making the doctor perform the procedure blindfolded. He now has a scar on his left knee and he's down a testicle but it was worth it.

m.

Reactions: pictman and purdy44

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Where is Rick Ralph ??- Jet's Post Game - I really like the way the Jet's postgame was done last year with Rick Ralph. The new guy is not near as good - why did they take him off the Jet's post game ??? He had a great show, and good partners. Maybe it's because he has a 1290 afternoon show ??? I don't know, but I miss him on the post game shows. Also the new guy doesn't take near as many post game callers from the public- very "lame post game show."

Reactions: purdy44

Pongs21

It's not delivery, it's Sports Desk
Jul 18, 2011
Halifax
Anyone else sick about hearing about my pillow? Shut the **** up about it already. Hate to say it, but I almost miss Gary Lawless. Tooth is growing on me too.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
OK quit that. I'm getting the snip job and I've been reminding my wife that it'll be followed up by at least two days of bedrest during which she'll have to bring me my breakfast, lunch, dinner, and a variety of cocktails while I writhe in pain in bed. If there happens to be a Jets and Bomber game that I have to watch from bed, well, that's just a coincidence.

m.

Why subject yourself to the risks of surgery when you can just stop having sex? My wife convinced me this was the way to go years ago and I've never been happier. Yep, just so happy.

purdy44

Registered Loser
Feb 8, 2013
Lac Seul, ON
It's absolutely criminal that they got rid of RR doing the pre and post game. They even got rid of his roundtable show! He has been relegated to nothing more than Hustler's sidekick and it just leaves me scratching my head. He is hands down the most talented and professional personality on the entire station. Who did he piss off to lose his shows?

TheDeuce

Feb 22, 2009
Anyone else sick about hearing about my pillow? Shut the **** up about it already. Hate to say it, but I almost miss Gary Lawless. Tooth is growing on me too.

Yeah, it's getting pretty old. FWIW the MyPillow gets pretty mixed reviews from what I've read online.

m.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Fun fact: Bob Irving was the prior owner of my Lincoln. It's like a brush with greatness. My hands have held the same steering wheel, my feet have pressed the same pedals, my ass... OK, maybe we don't go there. :laugh:

As for 1290 getting the Bombers, could be inside info. Could just be BS.

Yeahhhhh, i’m gonna need to see some evidential proof of that claim. Are their any bite-marked pencils in the glove compartment? :D

The talk about mo’s “perfectly-timed” time out is pretty silly. I mean that was a fairly obvious time to do that. It wasn’t some brilliant coaching move lol...

Reactions: SoCalJetsFan

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
The My Pillow talk makes 1290 feel like CJOB and all their commercials (one of them does My Pillow as well). Kind of like they are taking away my entertainment time so Rick can pad his pocket. I change the station as soon as he starts knowing he leads that into a commercial set. Don't know if thats a good strategy for the station.

Reactions: YWGinYYZ

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
My buddy avoided this issue by making the doctor perform the procedure blindfolded. He now has a scar on his left knee and he's down a testicle but it was worth it.

m.
Thanks alot , i spit my coffee everywhere laughing , i think your buddy is smart though . :laugh::laugh:

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
So it’s not just 1290 doing MyPillow. The morning crew on Power 97 was pushing it this morning with their own promo code. Good grief....

FFHockey

Oct 12, 2015
Winnipeg, Manitoba,
Holy Man...Troy is working hard to run Buff out of town! Every time I tune in to their show that's all he's talking about. Not a big fan of the show to begin with, but his incessant whining about Buff, makes me want to totally tune out from them. I appreciate that he's trying not to be a "homer" but I think he's going over the top.

I'm on the fence with Buff as so many others are...Good Buff is game-changing, Bad Buff is game-changing too, just in a bad way.

In the end, I'm just not sure that he totally deserves the ride Troy is giving him.

Am I the only one thinking this?

Reactions: Dayofthedogs

King Woodballs

Captain Awesome
Sep 25, 2007
Your Mind
Holy Man...Troy is working hard to run Buff out of town! Every time I tune in to their show that's all he's talking about. Not a big fan of the show to begin with, but his incessant whining about Buff, makes me want to totally tune out from them. I appreciate that he's trying not to be a "homer" but I think he's going over the top.

I'm on the fence with Buff as so many others are...Good Buff is game-changing, Bad Buff is game-changing too, just in a bad way.

In the end, I'm just not sure that he totally deserves the ride Troy is giving him.

Am I the only one thinking this?

I have stopped listening to that show thanks to Westwood still being on there.

I won't go back until he is no longer working for the station.

I still don't understand why so many think Buff needs to be run out of town after 1 game this year.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
I like Westwood ok. Toth is an issue lol.

I don't think most want Buff "run out of town after 1 game this season."

Anyone who listens regularly should know Westwood's feelings about Buff. He loves the guy...but he thinks the Jets are the wrong team for his style of play and he has some issues with Buff's level of commitment. I myself have similar thoughts on the subject. I'm a huge fan of watching him play when he's doing wicked Buff stuff, lol. But I think he seems to be doing less of that the past couple seasons and I'm starting to feel like now might be a good time to see what we can get for him...

Reactions: SoCalJetsFan

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
I have stopped listening to that show thanks to Westwood still being on there.

I won't go back until he is no longer working for the station.

I still don't understand why so many think Buff needs to be run out of town after 1 game this year.

I stopped listening because of him as well. I remember a few years back when he was constantly stating that Byfuglien should be traded. It sounds like he's at it again. The thing that did it for me was his relentless attack on Bobby Hull when it was announced that the Hot Line was to be inducted into the Winnipeg Jets Hall of Fame last year. Nobody liked what occurred in Hull's home life but I believe the fans were robbed of the opportunity to see Hedberg, Hull and Nilsson reunited for one last time and show our appreciation for what they did in representing this community on the world stage. Hull especially always took the time with the fans to ensure every last autograph was signed for those who sought him out. Westwood made it his mission to generate such a hostile environment regarding Hull that he chose not to come here. Not only did it rob the fans but also Hedberg and Nilsson. They both deserved the opportunity to have Hull be a part of the event and relive the glory days they shared as teammates here in Winnipeg.

Last edited:

antiqueslivers

Apr 16, 2015
listening to callers call in about how they fished with sprained this and bruised that..... I'm doubting they are taking in to account that hendricks and buff weren't fishing for sunnies or bass? They fished and caught a living dinosaur that probably weighed as much as both of them combined! Regardless not worried about the "fishing incident" at all. However the talk on buff's impact on goalies' save percentages has to be addressed. Its almost like when he is on the ice we are icing 4 forwards and 1 defence.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
listening to callers call in about how they fished with sprained this and bruised that..... I'm doubting they are taking in to account that hendricks and buff weren't fishing for sunnies or bass? They fished and caught a living dinosaur that probably weighed as much as both of them combined! Regardless not worried about the "fishing incident" at all. However the talk on buff's impact on goalies' save percentages has to be addressed. Its almost like when he is on the ice we are icing 4 forwards and 1 defence.
There's some discussion about the SV% thing over in the Byfuglien thread. The Dellow article is pretty sloppy. Rather than concluding "Buff's risky and gives up too many rushes the other way, therefore he's got a low on ice SV%", maybe look at the fact that Buff has played 25 minutes a night with bottom-of-the-barrel goaltending for 6 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad