Prospect Info: 125th Overall - D Nikolas Koberstein

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010
I wonder what the story is that drew Timmins et al. to Olds of all places, and what specific attributes of his play piqued their interest.

What I'm assuming is that the regional scout saw him and liked him, Churla took a look and also liked him..Trevor and perhaps Frank took a trip there (or knowing Trevor, saw him in another town where a more touted prospect was playing) and liked him.

Trevor described him to me as a "diamond in the rough"..he doesn't think he was on many team's radars. Kid led his team in dman scoring as a rookie along with providing a physical presence, yet wasn't invited to any of the Junior A camps in the fall..he was a late bloomer this season and few teams ended up scouting him. Worth taking a flyer on in the fifth round.

I'm warming up to the pick...Trevor usually has a pretty good eye. I figure it made it easier to deal the fourth rounder if they planned on taking this kid...figured he'd still be there in the fifth.

Last edited:

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary

TennisMenace

Jul 3, 2008
Buffalo
There is no possible way that Montreal Canadiens scouts know more than the blogger I follow on Twitter.

Lol. Yeah, many here read one scouting book and think they know something without ever laying seeing the kids or talking to their coaches or watching tape.

No, this scouting book I read says he is not in the top 100, so that's all I need to know. :shakehead

TennisMenace

Jul 3, 2008
Buffalo
From the quotes by Timmins, they see some upside to this guy. They want him another year AJHL then up to 4 years NCAA. They have up to 5 years to let him develop before offering him a contract.

Five years is a long time. I suspect the player he is today won't be that same player in five years.

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010
Something to keep in mind - 31 players who were not even ranked by CS were drafted, including five picks in the third and fourth rounds selected ahead of Koberstein.

CS..and all the scouting services..don't scout everyone..and also don't scout everyone correctly. Keep in mind a lot of the guy ranked later for the draft were only seen by regional scouts. There's a damn good chance the majority of crossover and head scouts did not see Koberstein.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Something to keep in mind - 31 players who were not even ranked by CS were drafted, including five picks in the third and fourth rounds selected ahead of Koberstein.

CS..and all the scouting services..don't scout everyone..and also don't scout everyone correctly. Keep in mind a lot of the guy ranked later for the draft were only seen by regional scouts. There's a damn good chance the majority of crossover and head scouts did not see Koberstein.

I just want information on him. I can't really discern what type of D-man we are projecting him to be based on the little info we have.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003

Totally understood. But history shows that rarely will something great comes out directly from the AJHL. He didn't exactly destroy it last year even though it's not his game. But if he does and even just slightly play in the NHL, we will more than willingly praise TT and Co and just say how great they are. As of now, I think we can be "perplexed" (is that a word???).

And I would obvioulsy love to know, but we won't, how many other teams were interested that made TT chose him that soon when he wasn't even ranked that much. Seemed to me the type of guy you pick in the 7th....à la Colin Sullivan, unless you know that the interest is there.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Totally understood. But history shows that rarely will something great comes out directly from the AJHL. He didn't exactly destroy it last year even though it's not his game. But if he does and even just slightly play in the NHL, we will more than willingly praise TT and Co and just say how great they are. As of now, I think we can be "perplexed" (is that a word???).

And I would obvioulsy love to know, but we won't, how many other teams were interested that made TT chose him that soon when he wasn't even ranked that much. Seemed to me the type of guy you pick in the 7th....à la Colin Sullivan, unless you know that the interest is there.

Perplexed is a word. Right context too.

Beige Van

Oct 4, 2009
Canada
Maybe he will be like a Mac Bennett. You draft him and forget about him and 4 years later, you remember "oh yeah, forgot about this guy". In any case, he is 5 or 6 years from even getting a cup of coffee from the big club.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Maybe he will be like a Mac Bennett. You draft him and forget about him and 4 years later, you remember "oh yeah, forgot about this guy". In any case, he is 5 or 6 years from even getting a cup of coffee from the big club.

Still Bennett was WELL known in the scouting community in his draft year and he had TONS of praise coming his way by most people.

Frank JT

Feb 8, 2014
I like this part in the article from the Old Albertan :

«The support from Koberstein’s teammates and coaches on the Grizzlys bench has been overwhelming, he said, adding the opportunity to play before NHL scouts would not have come his way without the Grizzlys organization behind him.

“The coach and the team have put me in a position that they gave me the chance to do this,” he said.

When asked why he believes he was picked for the prospects roster, Koberstein said he’s a player that thinks on the ice.

Hopfe said all the Grizzlys did to help Koberstein achieve this opportunity was give him a chance to play hockey.

“And he’s taken it and ran with it,” he said. “He’s like a 20-year-old defenceman out there for us right now.”

He added he has no doubt the scouts are going to take notice.

“It’s something the player definitely deserves. Nikolas is an extremely hard-working kid and obviously has a tonne of talent.

The Grizzlys coaching staff was disappointed and “rattled,” however, that Koberstein wasn’t invited to Hockey Canada’s world junior A selection camp, Hopfe said.

“He deserved to be invited to that and I think he got overlooked.”»

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010

And I would obviously love to know, but we won't, how many other teams were interested that made TT chose him that soon when he wasn't even ranked that much. Seemed to me the type of guy you pick in the 7th....à la Colin Sullivan, unless you know that the interest is there.

Keep it in perspective...you are expecting a fifth round pick to be great? I'd temper your expectations a bit - if there are two "great" players that come out of the 30 picks in this year's draft..that's a high number.

He was ranked by Central Scouting..just because you, me and a lot of other guys who follow the draft didn't know much or anything about him doesn't mean he was completely overlooked by every team..but sometimes a kid playing tier 2 hockey blossoms late and slips though the cracks.

You want to bring up history...the last time TT drafted a kid from Tier 2 that was a big surprise and hadn't been heavily scouted was Ryan O'Byrne. He ended up being a mid round pick that made the NHL and fetched us Bournival. Would that work for you..or do all of our fifth round picks have to be great? ;) Yes O'Byrne was a little more highly touted in his draft year..but he also went higher in the draft.

How many "great" players have come out of the Q in the fifth round in recent times? Who cares if he was drafted out of a midget girls hockey..the club scouted him and thinks they have a diamond in the rough. Just because we didn't see him...who cares? There were at least 50 guys drafted who I know little or nothing about...doesn't mean they all suck. It's not like the AJHL is some barren wasteland...off the top of my head there have been some recent grads who went on to the NHL, including Frattin and Colborne. MacWilliams was a 7th round pick by Toronto...he's turned out pretty well for a really late pick...solid AHLer already.

To look at his stats and try to figure out how well a guy played is pretty arbitrary.. If you are going to do that...look a little closer at the stats. He led his team in dman scoring as a rookie..the other six dmen on the team combined for ten goals...he had five. 18 points isn't a huge amount, but he played on a low scoring team with one player who scored more than 20 goals. On top of that..he had 150 PIM's..obviously he wasn't a wallflower. To come out of midget hockey and lead your junior team in d scoring is a pretty good sign that this kid isn't just a fighting defenceman...he's got some all around ability, and that's what I've been told..and read.

Even though he was leaning towards college a WHL team made him a mid round pick..again..an indication that he didn't just come out of nowhere.

Let's see how he looks at rookie camp...then decide if he has any skill or upside.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Keep it in perspective...you are expecting a fifth round pick to be great? I'd temper your expectations a bit - if there are two "great" players that come out of the 30 picks in this year's draft..that's a high number.

Again, I'm pretty sure I didn't put him in the bust category just yet. Just that I'm perplexed (love the word now) on the pick as it happened. As far as history and all of that, well we are talking about Timmins here. The guy we keep praising 'cause we have the most quantity that makes the NHL. The guy that from round 4 has given us and the rest of the league, tons of NHL players. But players that were pretty much well known even at that point.

Again, I will never be where I was in 2005. Will not question anybody's ability or anything stupid like that. I just reserve myself the right to wonder what it's all about. And to somewhat "disagree" based on the players I know for my own personal fun. Never because the pick in itself is already a bust....I don't know...never seen him. And we'll give the guy some time. I'm just not expecting anything from him. Which in the end is great as there are no expectations. Same for EVERYBODY else in that draft except Scherbak. So not a fan of the draft as it happen right now but again, we all know that right now and 4 years from now....it's 2 different worlds. Just like we're about to know for the 2012 draft.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
What I'm assuming is that the regional scout saw him and liked him, Churla took a look and also liked him..Trevor and perhaps Frank took a trip there (or knowing Trevor, saw him in another town where a more touted prospect was playing) and liked him.

Trevor described him to me as a "diamond in the rough"..he doesn't think he was on many team's radars. Kid led his team in dman scoring as a rookie along with providing a physical presence, yet wasn't invited to any of the Junior A camps in the fall..he was a late bloomer this season and few teams ended up scouting him. Worth taking a flyer on in the fifth round.

I'm warming up to the pick...Trevor usually has a pretty good eye. I figure it made it easier to deal the fourth rounder if they planned on taking this kid...figured he'd still be there in the fifth.

It sounds strange, but given the peculiar nature of the pick, I'm willing to see Timmins out on this one. He must've seen something fairly convincing in the kid to warrant the pick, especially if that's who they were targeting all along. This is what you really have scouts for: to find the players everyone else missed.

Can't wait till development camp.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013

Bennett was considered a "steal" at 79 though. He was expected to go in the 2nd round.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
This is a weak draft, I'm glad they keyed in on certain players. Maybe the best thing you can do is hope for a potential bottom pairing defenceman. These guys are valuable. The team had to go out and get Weaver to solidify the bottom 2 and it made one heck of a difference. Let's just give Timmins the benefit of the doubt

Beige Van

Oct 4, 2009
Canada
Bennett was considered a "steal" at 79 though. He was expected to go in the 2nd round.

Fair enough. What I was trying to communicate is that it will be years before we can properly evaluate him. Like Bennett, who spent 4 years in Mich. We still don't know what we have with Bennett, so patience is key in the case of Koberstein.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
1st post in this thread killed it. Will this kid even make the ECHL one day?

If Thrower has to start his pro career in the ECHL I would imagine Koberstein won't even be offered a contract. Though our depth could be noticebly weaker in the future.

HabsDieHard*

He's so young, who knows where his game is at in 2-3 years time. He might not even turn pro until the 2017/2018 season.

JayKing

Go Habs Go
Dec 30, 2011
Montreal
If Thrower has to start his pro career in the ECHL I would imagine Koberstein won't even be offered a contract. Though our depth could be noticebly weaker in the future.

Thrower went back to the Dub as an overager though and still starts his pro career in the ECHL.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
He's so young, who knows where his game is at in 2-3 years time. He might not even turn pro until the 2017/2018 season.

If you want to do the research find out how many players had 0 points in 30 games in the USHL at 19 years old and made the NHL. I'm gonna guess none. Maybe Stu Bickel and Matt Tennyson are sort of close. They still ended up with 10-15 points in their seasons and were 18. Neither are NHL regulars either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad