Prospect Info: 125th Overall - D Nikolas Koberstein

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
I noticed today that Koberstein has 6 pts in his last 14 games after getting 1 pt in his previous 34 games. Haven't seen him play yet but that's good to see him putting up some points of late. He's been racking up the pims this year as well with 99 on the year.

Really can't wait to see, at a much later date, like in 4 years, what this project was all about. Will be seen as pure Genius.....or way too optimistic.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
at least he's put up some points of late since he has 9 pts in his last 19 games. Will be interesting to see how he does in the WCHA next year.

Rise from the Ashes

Price defies corsi
Sep 13, 2005
Pointe-Claire, QC
Lets not forget that Koberstein was playing in a pretty obscure league last season. The learning curve must be quite steep for him. He was not drafted with the idea he would be playing in the NHL in three years. Could see him taking as long as Pateryn has for the Canadiens.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Lets not forget that Koberstein was playing in a pretty obscure league last season. The learning curve must be quite steep for him. He was not drafted with the idea he would be playing in the NHL in three years. Could see him taking as long as Pateryn has for the Canadiens.

good point on the learning curve. I'm looking forward to seeing how he does next year although not sure if I will get to see much of him on tv as his team isn't often on national broadcasts.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
There was a report a few months back that he was considering committing to a different school than Alaska-Fairbanks. I wonder if anyone here has heard anything about that since.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
There was a report a few months back that he was considering committing to a different school than Alaska-Fairbanks. I wonder if anyone here has heard anything about that since.

I remember that and it could still happen but the later it gets the less likely that happens as he would have to de-commit first and then commit to another program unless the Habs wanted him to go the CHL route. I would be all for him getting out of the WCHA as they have a couple good teams but would rather see him play in a tougher conference. If not, hopefully he at least gets a lot of ice time.

Koberstein has his first multi-point game in the USHL, with 2 assists. Now has picked up 12 points in the last 25 games after getting 1 point in his first 34 games. Talk about a night and day type of production. Season numbers at 59 4-9-13 +9 128 pims.

Last edited:

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
I expected to see lame jokes about the Yukon Howler (AKA the Siberian Giant or Bigfoot or Zdeno Chara).

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I thought he looked solid for his NCAA debut, even though the game doesn't count. He was physically involved, moved well, got a regular shift and has a solid frame.

I ended up only watching for about a period and that's about it for me too. He was both mobile and pro-active which is the first thing I'm always looking for in a Dman.

19VJ17

Mar 9, 2011
I thought he looked solid for his NCAA debut, even though the game doesn't count. He was physically involved, moved well, got a regular shift and has a solid frame.

Good to hear. I don't know why but Koberstein is my favorite long shot. I think this year we will see and hear more about him.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Got to see him last night, not the best game for him as he was a -2 but that was mostly due to how bad his D partner played as he was way out of position on the 1st goal and Koberstein had to try to cover for him but wasn't in time. It was a battle of the 2 worst teams in the WCHA so it wasn't pretty, Koberstein was the only NHL draft pick in the game. He's got a solid frame, gets a regular shift, moves well although being quicker would help. He's got a heavy point shot so they used him on the PP, decent puck mover. Will be interesting to see how much he can progress over the remaining 3 1/2 years in the NCAA.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Got to see him last night, not the best game for him as he was a -2 but that was mostly due to how bad his D partner played as he was way out of position on the 1st goal and Koberstein had to try to cover for him but wasn't in time. It was a battle of the 2 worst teams in the WCHA so it wasn't pretty, Koberstein was the only NHL draft pick in the game. He's got a solid frame, gets a regular shift, moves well although being quicker would help. He's got a heavy point shot so they used him on the PP, decent puck mover. Will be interesting to see how much he can progress over the remaining 3 1/2 years in the NCAA.

He's a long term project type so progression from year to year is gonna be the key with him.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Just got done watching Jake Evans as his next few games are on tv. He was bumped up to the 2nd line tonight with Bjork and Herr. Had a good game with 2 assists but it was a very one-sided affair as Notre Dame just outplayed Western Michigan all night long. 7-1 final it was a total blowout by the time the 2nd period was over. Evans got a little PP time at the end and was on the PK as well. He tied last years totals in just under half the number of games played, with 17 pts in 20 games. He did get hit hard up high towards the end of the game, the Western Michigan player got a 5 minute major for it, but Evans finished the game so guess he's alright.

Got to see a little of Koberstein as I recorded the game so will watch it later, only the 2nd time I've ever seen him and might not get another shot as Alaska isn't on national tv very much.

What did you think of Koberstein?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad