Post-Game Talk: 12/15/17 | Sharks 3 @ Canucks 4 in OT

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
Love seeing the Sedins playing like this again. Makes me feel good! Boeser just beasts and beasts. Incredible that he almost slipped to the second round in his draft.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
I keep expecting Boeser to go into this 12 game goalless drought. I mean, he still probably will at some point, but then... what if he doesn't? He is completely ridiculous.

When you watch him play its like, why doesn't every player just do that? He makes it look so easy.

17g, 30p in 30 games.

To compare, Matthews had 14g, 23p through his first 30 last year.

Last edited:

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Jason Brough‏Verified account @JasonBroughTSN
FollowFollow @JasonBroughTSN
More
Canucks' PP up to 5th in the league

Current 1st unit set is pretty deadly.... This new set up looks more creative and versatile than even the yr Ehroff was back there as a QB. Henrik and Brock on the halfwalls, Danny in the middle, Bo/Granny down low... and Edler on the point.

Edler deserves a lot of credit for his decision making on the PP.. so smart with the puck.
He has such sublte puck skills and hands.

Top 5 is a great current result.

-and i love how the 2nd unit mirrors the system of the top unit... with obvious inferior results, but still dangerous looking pre-Baertschi injury.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
The offensive resurgence of the Twins of late has been great, but understated given the adversity the team has faced. Hopefully a couple more wins here and there will give people a chance to give them the respect they deserve.

I still have to pinch myself that we actually have Boeser. The thought of him and Pettersson in the top six next year together is all kinds of exciting.

The last five minutes of the third gave me PTSD flashbacks to the kind of BS reffing we received in the playoffs from 2011 to 2013. Four blatant penalties from SJ uncalled and a weak as all getout icing call. Glad the Canucks managed to bury it in OT.

Didn't think Gagner had wheels and hands anymore, but showed both on that winner. Otherwise not a great game for him, but hopefully he can build some confidence from that.

Markstrom with a big game, and battled through ridiculous bounces all night. His reaction to the tying goal was priceless.

Virtanen is slowly getting there. I still have hope that he can/will make an impact in the top six in the future.

2011 still hurts

imagine posting on a hockey forum
Feb 10, 2016
Just like most of us I grew more pessimistic about the Virtanen pick by the year his ceiling is still definitely up in the air, retuning his playstyle a bit and driving to the net more could yield very positive results.

After some more development time (he's only played 95 NHL games so far and has been given sub 10 minute TOI for most of them) and really learning how to utilize his skillset he could come into his own as a top 6 power forward. As long as his hockey IQ increases and he's given a bit more stability in terms of TOI/linemates I'm still hopeful he'll develop into something top 10 pick worthy.

Think his ceiling in his prime could be a Jamie Benn lite, floor probably a very poor man's Chris Krieder.

Last edited:

Blueangel1891

Nov 24, 2007
Belgium
Kane? Virtnen?

No thanks. And I doubt Petterson is going to step in as #1 center ahead of Horvat as a rookie.

Benning with 20 million dollars of capspace and Kane as a free agent. We all know how that is going to turn out. And I actually don't mind adding Kane as a player, as long as he keeps his head in check (which seems to be the case this year)

Don't care if Pettersson is on the first or second line, but I'd like to see him with Boeser. Those two should complement each other perfectly

Boose Brudreau

Guddbranson is a paper tiger
Nov 27, 2006
Just like most of us I grew more pessimistic about the Virtanen pick by the year his ceiling is still definitely up in the air, retuning his playstyle a bit and driving to the net more could yield very positive results.

After some more development time (he's only played 95 NHL games so far and has been given sub 10 minute TOI for most of them) and really learning how to utilize his skillset he could come into his own as a top 6 power forward. As long as his hockey IQ increases and he's given a bit more stability in terms of TOI/linemates I'm still hopeful he'll develop into something top 10 pick worthy.

Think his ceiling in his prime could be a Jamie Benn lite, floor probably a very poor man's Chris Krieder.
Go back and look where Kreider was at the same age. He had just spent 3 years developing his game in a good quality stable environment at BC. His draft + four season (same as this year for Virtanen) was split between the NHL (3 points in 22 gp) and the AHL (23 points in 48 gp). He was hardly setting the world on fire. Virtanen was rushed and put in a position where failure was almost inevitable; his development was badly bungled by everyone involved (including himself). Full credit has to be given to Travis Green for undoing much of the damage done in the two post draft seasons prior to getting his hands on JV. IMO his game is going in the right direction now. His confidence is growing, he's producing more offence than his stats may indicate (in limited minutes) and he's actually quite good defensively.

polarbearcub

May 7, 2011
Vancouver
If we are re singing the sedins and bringing in Kane.. there's zero room for guys like dahlen or goldobin or petterson.. we would have to dump.. sutter , granlund , gaunce .. guys like that

Reactions: 2011 still hurts

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
If we are re singing the sedins and bringing in Kane.. there's zero room for guys like dahlen or goldobin or petterson.. we would have to dump.. sutter , granlund , gaunce .. guys like that

No to mention it will cost a barrel full of picks and a shitastic contract.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
Winning in overtime isn't like beating the team in regulation. Canucks are winless in regulation time for five games. They aren't going anywhere despite the Sedins having a couple of not embarrassing shifts.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
I mostly like the way Virtanen is playing this year and he has definitely surprised me in terms of bouncing back from his miserable season last year, but he still kinda reminds me of Jack Skille and I don't know if he's going to break from that path.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I mostly like the way Virtanen is playing this year and he has definitely surprised me in terms of bouncing back from his miserable season last year, but he still kinda reminds me of Jack Skille and I don't know if he's going to break from that path.

His skating ability and resulting ability to get on top of the play on the forecheck is on a completely different level from Skille.

His hands and IQ? Yeah, maybe. But his skating should make him a significantly more effective NHLer.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
No to mention it will cost a barrel full of picks and a ****astic contract.

I think the assumption is signing Kane in the offseason, not trading for him this season (I sure hope that's the assumption). So it shouldn't cost picks. But yes, big dollar signs. Kane is definitely showing the league something this year and last, however, and he would add a big forward body to our group.

Next year I'd like to see forward spots for Pettersson, Boeser, Horvat, Baertschi, Virtanen, Goldobin, Dahlen. Assuming 13 forwards, that leaves six spots for: Sedin, Sedin, Sutter, Eriksson, Gagner, Granlund, Gaunce, Dowd, Gaudette (?), Kane (?). Bit of a logjam if the Sedins are re-signed, and some trades aren't made. Hard to see Sutter, Eriksson or Gagner being moved for anything decent. Granlund could go, Dowd seems like he'd be no real loss.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010

Jamie Benn-lite and poor man's Kreider? Both seem like very, very optimistic comparables. When Virtanen can do more than skate down the wing and direct it towards the net, I will believe you. He needs to drive the net way more consistently - he needs to watch Horvat and take after his game. I feel like he still has a long way to go to even been a Kreider-lite...do you know how effective Chris Kreider is to the Rangers?

Sure Virtanen isn't getting much icetime, but I'm not convinced if he was playing 17 minutes a night he would be effective the entire night anyways. I know everyone is gushing over Virtanen for whatever reasons, but I'm just not seeing it yet.

Reactions: 2011 still hurts

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Yeah at this point it seems like Chris Kreider is Virtanen's ceiling and his floor is what he is right now.

Ultimately I see him being a 20/20 middle 6 winger in his prime, which is essentially a slightly poor mans Chris Kreider.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Benning with 20 million dollars of capspace and Kane as a free agent. We all know how that is going to turn out. And I actually don't mind adding Kane as a player, as long as he keeps his head in check (which seems to be the case this year)

Don't care if Pettersson is on the first or second line, but I'd like to see him with Boeser. Those two should complement each other perfectly
I just don't like Kane as a player or a person, and don't want him anywhere near this team. Not the kind of player I want our young players learning anything from.

Virtanen will likely never be a top 6 player, just don't really see it happening. 2/3 tweener at best maybe. But I am fine with that.

Reactions: racerjoe

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Jamie Benn-lite and poor man's Kreider? Both seem like very, very optimistic comparables. When Virtanen can do more than skate down the wing and direct it towards the net, I will believe you. He needs to drive the net way more consistently - he needs to watch Horvat and take after his game. I feel like he still has a long way to go to even been a Kreider-lite...do you know how effective Chris Kreider is to the Rangers?

Sure Virtanen isn't getting much icetime, but I'm not convinced if he was playing 17 minutes a night he would be effective the entire night anyways. I know everyone is gushing over Virtanen for whatever reasons, but I'm just not seeing it yet.
Virtanens minutes were still fairly low last night..8 or 9 minutes...However,I do think that he has arrived as an NHL player,and I don't see him going back to the AHL..

Completely agree that he has to utilize his size and speed and drive to the net..(anything can happen after that,as it generally throws the opposing D into disarray).......His usual low % shot off of the wing,and the fly-by around the net won't cut it.

Boose Brudreau

Guddbranson is a paper tiger
Nov 27, 2006

look at what Kreider did at the same point in his career. Virtanen's numbers are significantly better this year than CK's were in his draft + 4 season.

2011 still hurts

imagine posting on a hockey forum
Feb 10, 2016

Oh I know that was a very optimistic ceiling and that he maybe has a 5%> chance at being a lite version of a "Jamie Benn" player but I'm just saying, as an aspiring power forward he hasn't really been given a conducive environment to develop with his TOI/unstable pairings/deployment and he certainly does have the potential/tools to be a very lite Jamie Benn without as much goal-scoring (maybe 25 in his prime as a ceiling).

Think there's a good chance he might not end up as anything, but since we still don't know this player those are my most optimistic projections. Jury is very much still out on this kid.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4