Post-Game Talk: 12/15/17 | Sharks 3 @ Canucks 4 in OT

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Yeah we had a good 1.5 periods IMO. Last period was poor in comparison.

Agreed. It still seems like ES goal scoring is an issue. On the PP, they can saw off the performance with other teams, but their ES scoring simply has to pick up.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Agreed. It still seems like ES goal scoring is an issue. On the PP, they can saw off the performance with other teams, but their ES scoring simply has to pick up.

I agree, but it's amazing how Boeser + Sedins has really revitalized the PP.

Honestly Edler is the anchor of that unit but he is not making too many mistakes as he has in the past.

Granlund looks decent in place of Bo but they both bring different things to the PP.

Without the PP this team would be even worse.

Nomobo

Feb 20, 2015
Victoria

Honestly Edler is the anchor of that unit but he is not making too many mistakes as he has in the past.

Granlund looks decent in place of Bo but they both bring different things to the PP.

Wouldn't every team be worse without their power play?

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006

The Canucks are bottom5 in GF/GP (2.63) and are top5 in PP% (21.92%)...

Without the PP clicking at an excellent rate, this team likely drops to ARI / BUF levels (2.3~ GF/GP) in terms of offensive output. When you quantify it, you realize just how razor thin their margin for error really is...

Edit: Hah, did Kenward just say that the Canucks "soiled their sheets" in their last performance? Wow.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Well there you go. Now we know why Benning is paying Gagner the big bucks!!! Funny after dreadfully losing the puck on the face off (once again) for the tying goal he gets the winner on an actually nice move in OT. Sometimes the hockey gods are benevolent.

Good

Boeser - far and away our best player. Should have a couple of assists when he set up guys up cold.

Sedins - Blast from the past. The chance in OT was vintage Sedins. (highlight stuff if they had finished) Aging better than Thorton apparently. Really had strong games

Biega - every time he gets a chance seems one of the better defensemen. Brought more physical play than most anyone has all season

Markstrom - finally get back to having some decent goal tending

Bad

Stecher - trying to do too much. Good that he is trying to force the play but playing a little too out of control

del Zotto - del Zotto game is all about skating and keeping ahead of the play. Skating has fallen off and making a lot more desperation plays

Others

Goldobin - appeared on the verge of making some good plays but never really did. Is at least more in the play and is trying hard to work both ends of the ice

Dowd - by far his best effort. Like others played well in trenches in this game.

Granlund - yes he scored but he also screwed up some absolute sitters. Was in the right place at the right time but didn't do much other than jam a couple in. As to the rest he was very ordinary

Gagner - every dog will have his day but overall I thought he was poor. Neither him or Burmistrov were effective on face offs.

Virtanen - definition of playing in spurts.

Gaunce - again mishandled chances but did a decent job of breaking up plays. Games like this establish that Gaunce is better on the wing than at center.

Lucky to catch the Sharks on the second night of back to back games. Allowed the Canucks to get off to a great start. Game showed, I guess, that you can't lose them all.

Reactions: petrishriekandgo

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
I missed this one. How did Gaunce play?

You could make a drinking game outta Shorty saying things like "Gaunce couldnt corral that one", "bounced over Gaunce's stick", "Gaunce bobbles the puck".

But the rest of his game was ok... really good at protecting the puck now. Good at retaining possesion along the boards and getting it back to the D. Decent on the PK... and.. well... yeah.

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Great bounce back/step up performances by : Hutton, Gagner, Vanek, Granlund, and Edler was a monster.

Twins were outstanding. Boeser with probably one of his best games.. yes-better than his hattrick game.

It was a very 'puck bouncy' game. Hockey gods liked us just a little more tonight.

Having said that... the Sharks are a slow slow team. Don't think they will stand a chance vs a good quick team in a series... i.e. Preds, Vegas.. or even Cgy.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
fun game

boeser is other worldly. he now has only one rookie i can remember for competition.

i thought the grinders ground, the veterans had a moment, and the complimentary players complimented

so many things have to go right for that group to win against a good team. glad they happened tonight.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad