Post-Game Talk: 12/15/17 | Sharks 3 @ Canucks 4 in OT

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Boeser getting three or four glorious opportunities to score every game now....might be one of the best offensive players and scorers the Canucks have ever drafted.....of course after Henrik, Daniel and Pavel, it's a short list. Not sure how he does it....never seen a player who can find so many holes....doesn't possess blinding speed or moves, but thinks the game at an elite level. Barring injury or a collapse in the second half, can't see how he isn't the Calder winner.

Good to see Pouliot bounce back after an ugly outing against Nashville....but then pairing him with the "good" Alex Edler as opposed to the "bad" Alex Edler doesn't hurt either. Markstrom is one scary guy to watch in the crease....always seems to be one fumble away from disaster....swear he relies as much on luck as sound positioning. Flames get Nashville tonight....maybe another tired team at the Rog on Sunday?

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
Kane? Virtnen?

No thanks. And I doubt Petterson is going to step in as #1 center ahead of Horvat as a rookie.

I wouldn't put it past him. If he can gain 10 lbs I think he's a lock and probably will be elite as soon as he plays.

I am hoping we have the type of player that is a player regardless of weight.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Great bounce back, good game from the Sedins and Boeser continues his point streak. Time to start thinking about the size of his payday on the next contract, $8.5m, maybe $10-11m.

2011 still hurts

imagine posting on a hockey forum
Feb 10, 2016
I'm obviously not comparing them overall, but Boeser plays a bit like Brett Hull.
young bret hull
young drew doughty in pouliot
young patrice bergeron in horvat
young cory schneider in demko
young zdeno chara in tryamkin
young chris kreider in virtanen
young wayne gretzky in petersson

ez 2020-2024 dynasty boys

Boose Brudreau

Guddbranson is a paper tiger
Nov 27, 2006
Guess this case is closed then.
If you disagree, feel free to quantify...(though the numbers will not support) or at least qualify. Though, unless you break down five year old rangers game tape for shits and giggles i doubt you'll be able to convince any reasonable person that CK was any further ahead in his draft +4 season than Jake is now.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
If you disagree, feel free to quantify...(though the numbers will not support) or at least qualify. Though, unless you break down five year old rangers game tape for ****s and giggles i doubt you'll be able to convince any reasonable person that CK was any further ahead in his draft +4 season than Jake is now.

He took a much different route to the NHL. It isn't a straight across comparison. He spent 3 yrs in College then went spent 1 yr in the AHL.

Boose Brudreau

Nov 27, 2006
He took a much different route to the NHL. It isn't a straight across comparison. He spent 3 yrs in College then went spent 1 yr in the AHL.
yeah, that allowed him to grow and develop his game in a far more stable environment than JV. You know that benefits Kreider right?

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
yeah, that allowed him to grow and develop his game in a far more stable environment than JV. You know that benefits Kreider right?

I am just saying it is not a simple 1 to 1 comp. Sure it helped CK, but it may have hurt JV to the point he can't get his game to where it could have gone. We just don't know. That is all I am saying.

Boose Brudreau

Nov 27, 2006
I am just saying it is not a simple 1 to 1 comp. Sure it helped CK, but it may have hurt JV to the point he can't get his game to where it could have gone. We just don't know. That is all I am saying.
Certain posters thought that a poor mans Chris Kreider was a very, very optimistic comparable for Virtanen. I was just trying to point out that despite JV's bungled development, he has actually been more productive at the NHL level this year (draft + 4) than Kreider was at the same stage of his career (despite benefiting from a more stable environment in which to develop). I don't think it's beyond the realm of possibility that Virtanen ends up being as good or better than Kreider when all is said and done.

Reactions: 2011 still hurts

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Certain posters thought that a poor mans Chris Kreider was a very, very optimistic comparable for Virtanen. I was just trying to point out that despite JV's bungled development, he has actually been more productive at the NHL level this year (draft + 4) than Kreider was at the same stage of his career (despite benefiting from a more stable environment in which to develop). I don't think it's beyond the realm of possibility that Virtanen ends up being as good or better than Kreider when all is said and done.

Just to play Devils Advocate, don't you think the argument could be made that he has more or less declined and flatlined? That he looked better earlier?

I think there is potential there, but I really don't like how we have handled him. I think while he looks fine in the NHL, if he isn't getting more minutes he should be in the AHL getting huge minutes.

but thats just me.

Krnuckfan

Oct 11, 2006
Go back and look where Kreider was at the same age. He had just spent 3 years developing his game in a good quality stable environment at BC. His draft + four season (same as this year for Virtanen) was split between the NHL (3 points in 22 gp) and the AHL (23 points in 48 gp). He was hardly setting the world on fire. Virtanen was rushed and put in a position where failure was almost inevitable; his development was badly bungled by everyone involved (including himself). Full credit has to be given to Travis Green for undoing much of the damage done in the two post draft seasons prior to getting his hands on JV. IMO his game is going in the right direction now. His confidence is growing, he's producing more offence than his stats may indicate (in limited minutes) and he's actually quite good defensively.

Green hasn't done jack with virtanen. He was, is and always will be a one dimensional winger who can skate fast and shoot hard but has no hockey IQ.

He's scoring 0.24ppg this year, which is exactly the same ppg as his rookie year.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Green hasn't done jack with virtanen. He was, is and always will be a one dimensional winger who can skate fast and shoot hard but has no hockey IQ.

He's scoring 0.24ppg this year, which is exactly the same ppg as his rookie year.
He's much better defensively. He's more diligent in general but offensively there has yet to be significant progress.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad