Marlies Discussion: 12'/13' Marlies Part I|Looking Forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Playoffs Points

Leading scorers with 9 points each:

Scott 24
Zigomanis 32
D'Amigo 22

Last year

Dupuis 27 - 14 points
Frattin 24 - 13 points
D'Amigo 21 - 13 points

This year:

4 out of top ten scorers for Marlies were under 25.
8 out of top ten scorers for Barons were under 25.

I guess you have to have kids before you can play them?

I only bring this up because there was a lot of talk about how much fail there was with the Barons this season and how the Marlies were the runner-up last year. How full the cupboard was, and how the bottom wrung Oilers farm team was a joke.

So now the question is the cupboard as full as believed, and if the problem coaching?

Blacker, Rielly, Marshall the cream of the Marlies prospects on defense?

I like our D prospects for the future. we really have a chance to make a solid back line out of any number of Rielly, Blacker, Finn, Granberg, Percy, Nilsson, MacWilliam, and Knodel.

Don't sleep on Knodel. He's strong as an ox, and played a big role for UNH this year, and may be a captain for them next year. His skating has REALLY improved, along with his agility, and his shot.

Last edited:

mikebel111*

Last year the Marlies dominated in the regular season, had a great playoff run then got swept in the finals too. Starting to think TO is actually cursed.

that was different

kadri, frattin, others as well were injured

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
I wonder how the marlies would look with all our prospects in next year.

D'amigo - Abbot - Hamilton
Ashton - Mckegg - Biggs
Ross - Zigomanis - Scott
Broll - Ryan - Devane

Granberg - Blacker
Percy - Macwilliam
Marshall - Holzer

Macintyre
Sparks

frankthetank91

Jul 30, 2011
I wonder how the marlies would look with all our prospects in next year.

D'amigo - Abbot - Hamilton
Ashton - Mckegg - Biggs
Ross - Zigomanis - Scott
Broll - Ryan - Devane

Granberg - Blacker
Percy - Macwilliam
Marshall - Holzer

Macintyre
Sparks

Thats a good looking roster. And o be honest I can't even notice who's missing from this years team in the forward group.

You got your vets: Hamilton, Zigo and Scott. Looks good.

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005
Not really, the Griffins controlled play for most of the game.

It was an accomplishment when the Marlies could successfully enter the Griffins zone.

It's a reflection of the front office and the scouting staff of the two organizations. And were they presently stand. The Pens and Bruins farm teams play game 7 tonight.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
It's a reflection of the front office and the scouting staff of the two organizations. And were they presently stand. The Pens and Bruins farm teams play game 7 tonight.

No it wasn't.

It was mostly marlie vets.

Most of our prospects are in junior or just out of junior.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Thats a good looking roster. And o be honest I can't even notice who's missing from this years team in the forward group.

You got your vets: Hamilton, Zigo and Scott. Looks good.

Just noticed, I forgot Leivo. He should be in the top 6.

kilgro

Tank nation
Dec 3, 2007
Toronto
turned the game off after we went up 3-1 in the second. I have it on PVR but don't think im gonna force myself to sit through that atrocity. Still a good year from the Marlies but that loss leaves a sour taste in the mouth. Next year should be really telling for some of these prospects as they take on larger roles on the club. The one guy i'm really enthused about after seeing him play down the stretch and into the playoffs is McKegg. I didn't get to see him play much in juniors since he was on the Otters and they don't air many of their games but I loved his game on the Marlies this year. He's not the biggest guy and he does need to work on his skating more (even though it's really not that bad IMO, we just always read about how it was a limiting factor in McKegg) but the skill and tenacity is there. I think he will be a top point producer for the Marlies next season and hopefully he continues to make strides moving forward

DoubleDouble*

Providence somehow lost their series...I'm at a loss for words. That W/S team did not look very good at all in the first 3 games. Even in a couple of their wins they looked bad.

Terrence

Aug 3, 2010
Providence somehow lost their series...I'm at a loss for words. That W/S team did not look very good at all in the first 3 games. Even in a couple of their wins they looked bad.

It was Trent Whitfield's fault.

Wayne Whittaker ‏@WayneTwittaker 1h

Congrats to Trent Whitfield for officially becoming the first professional athlete to be on two teams that have blown 3-0 series leads.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
It was Trent Whitfield's fault.

Wayne Whittaker ‏@WayneTwittaker 1h

Congrats to Trent Whitfield for officially becoming the first professional athlete to be on two teams that have blown 3-0 series leads.

Yikes, certainly not a stat that any athlete wants to be associated with.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
We need a dynamic playmaking/goal scoring prospect.

Looking at the marlies line-up and prospect pool, this is a missing piece.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
Playoffs Points

Leading scorers with 9 points each:

Scott 24
Zigomanis 32
D'Amigo 22

Last year

Dupuis 27 - 14 points
Frattin 24 - 13 points
D'Amigo 21 - 13 points

This year:

4 out of top ten scorers for Marlies were under 25.
8 out of top ten scorers for Barons were under 25.

I guess you have to have kids before you can play them?

I only bring this up because there was a lot of talk about how much fail there was with the Barons this season and how the Marlies were the runner-up last year. How full the cupboard was, and how the bottom wrung Oilers farm team was a joke.

So now the question is the cupboard as full as believed, and if the problem coaching?

Blacker, Rielly, Marshall the cream of the Marlies prospects on defense?
Are you forgetting the fact majority of the marlies were with the Leafs the entire time this season? Prolly because they graduated?

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Are you forgetting the fact majority of the marlies were with the Leafs the entire time this season? Prolly because they graduated?

So are you saying the Leafs don't have enough NHL players so they have to use AHL players to fill out the roster? ;)

Leafs didn't have a bunch of kids on the team other than 22 year old Kadri and 22 year old Gardiner, and I don't consider either of them prospects or AHLers. Colborne was up, but that's one player from the Marlies.

Kostka, Fraser, McLaren perhaps could have been with the Marlies but they aren't prospects, although I like Fraser and McLaren for depth NHLers. Personally, I don't see Kostka thinking the game quickly enough, but Carlyle likes him.

Hamilton? Sure he's a AHL veteran and could have helped.

Marlies employed 12 players 25 and over in the playoffs, with 7 of them being 27 and older.

I understand the Marlies are about the Marlies, and I'm a Leafs fans not a Marlies fan so my goal is different than Eakins goal. Eakins wants to win AHL games, I want the Leafs to win NHL games, and yes they are two different and at times contradictory objectives.

Who graduated from the Marlies that we could consider a prospect ... Kadri. Gardiner played the NHL last year, and was demoted for the playoffs, but that is like saying if Eberle had stayed in the AHL that he was an AHL player.

Again, how often did we hear how the farm team had been rebuilt? One of the results of the GM was rebuilding a strong farm team. The farm team has been good quite a few times in the past, so really it is just the normal cycles of teams. They are sometimes good, sometimes bad and sometimes between, regardless of who is the GM.

I'm hoping we see some real prospects getting the key roles on the team next year, and if they have to fire Eakins to make it happen I'll send a couple bucks for his bus ticket out of town.

Perhaps that is unfair to Eakins, as he can only work with the talent the GM provides and if the GM provides nothing but 3rd. and 4th. liners where does the buck stop?

P0LiUM

Apr 16, 2012
Halifax
Abbott

I don't get much of a chance to watch Marlies games, and I was wondering what you guys think Abbott projects to be. Some of you have him listed as 1st line C on next years lineup, and from what I can see statistically, he's been pretty consistent at learning to put up points at each level he plays at.

Top all of that off with ppg performance in the playoffs and, on paper, he seems like a pretty decent prospect? Why did he only play 5 games? And can you ever see him graduating out of the AHL

sniper81

Oct 30, 2009
toronto
I don't get much of a chance to watch Marlies games, and I was wondering what you guys think Abbott projects to be. Some of you have him listed as 1st line C on next years lineup, and from what I can see statistically, he's been pretty consistent at learning to put up points at each level he plays at.

Top all of that off with ppg performance in the playoffs and, on paper, he seems like a pretty decent prospect? Why did he only play 5 games? And can you ever see him graduating out of the AHL

I view him as a top 9 winger who can create a ton of chances. He is so skilled that i think he has to make it out of the AHL. I have a feeling he would be better suited playing with more skilled guys in the NHL, He was also hurt for a few games during the playoffs.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010

He has good vision and passing skills. Marlies lack of snipers has held him back from excelling.

If he played with frattin, he would easily be PPG.

member 147413

Granberg and Blacker are both RHD and I still think Ranger may stick with the team next year, I'm also pretty sure Leivo turns 20 and Abbott is not a center.

If I'm correct, I believe we'll see something like...

Hamilton - McKegg - Abbott
Leivo - Zigomanis - Ashton
D'Amigo - Ryan - Scott
Devane - Crescenzi - Biggs
Broll - Carrick - Lasch

Ranger - Holzer
MacWilliam - Blacker
Percy - Granberg
Marshall - Gysbers

McIntyre
Sparks

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Granberg and Blacker are both RHD and I still think Ranger may stick with the team next year, I'm also pretty sure Leivo turns 20 and Abbott is not a center.

If I'm correct, I believe we'll see something like...

Hamilton - McKegg - Abbott
Leivo - Zigomanis - Ashton
D'Amigo - Ryan - Scott
Devane - Crescenzi - Biggs
Broll - Carrick - Lasch

Ranger - Holzer
MacWilliam - Blacker
Percy - Granberg
Marshall - Gysbers

McIntyre
Sparks

I would put Biggs in the top 6. He plays very well when there is a set up man. Biggs has finish, either by using his heavy shot or crashing the net.

member 147413

I would put Biggs in the top 6. He plays very well when there is a set up man. Biggs has finish, either by using his heavy shot or crashing the net.

I just put where I assume Eakins will play guys, Biggs will have to earn a spot in the Top 6.

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London
It's weird, if you told me a year ago that our projected marlies lineup for 2013-2014 didn't include any of Scrivens, Rynnas and Owuya I probably wouldn't have believed you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese