Marlies Discussion: 12'/13' Marlies Part I|Looking Forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

member 147413

I'm amazed at human ingenuity sometimes, how they film with a potato is beyond me.

Terrence

Aug 3, 2010
Greg Scott OT winner. Fitting because he was probably the Marlies best player that game.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
8 1 1 2 -4

Morgan Rielly's stats....

So WHL likely for him again next year?

MoreMogilny

Cap'n
Jul 5, 2009
Oshawa
8 1 1 2 -4

Morgan Rielly's stats....

So WHL likely for him again next year?

First pro stint, not surprising.

A lot can change over a summer though. Will he be back in the WHL? At this point, I'd say probably, but he could have a stellar camp and force his way onto the Leafs. Who knows.

SpeakerForTheDead

Aug 2, 2005
Brampton/Chicago
Yeah, and no way to know how he will do in the playoffs. He seems to take his training seriously and I think Carlyle will fall in love with that.

Being 6'0 and 200 lbs at 18 years old takes dedication.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
Lol at people looking at Rielly's stats and making a judgement about that.

1. Hes a defenceman. Points at this stage are irrelevant, but rather his ability to play a regular shift is more important.

2. He had no training camp to acclimatize to the pro-culture, as he would at the start of a season

3. There is depth on the Marlies D

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Did people actually watch the game?

Rielly looked pretty good to me.

He's great on the PP but I really don't get why no one passes to him :laugh: Even on the rush... you pass to him and he'll go flying.

Rielly will be in the NHL next year if he does good in training camp + rookie tournament. Points in the AHL are meaningless for a rookie on a team with a lot of depth on D.

In the games I've seen him, he's looked great

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Percy looked real good with the marlies last year. He should be a big boost to the blue line.

Biggs and leivo can also make an impact if they play.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
How much ice time is Rielly getting?

With the veteran defenders the Marlies have it would be nice to know if he's getting top 4 minutes or if they are going with the vets.

Is he showing enough that the Leafs don't have to pursue an upgrade on defense this summer?

It is really too bad they didn't do something with the NHL-CHL agreement with regards to the age requirement. Rielly in the AHL would have made so much sense, but do you really want to put him in the NHL next year if he's just average in the AHL right now? He should be dominant in the AHL before you consider him for the NHL.

It looks like the Marlies could end up re-signing some of their AHL UFA's this summer if they can't bring in some prospects to develop there.

Percy, Blacker, McWilliams, Marshall, Holzer ...

I don't think we'll see Granberg or Nilsson over yet, too bad Granberg lost so much of his season with injury.

I suspect they'll sign a couple veterans, but Marshall and Holzer could play those roles.

McWilliams is 23, so while a rookie, he isn't a kid. This is a good signing as perhaps it eliminates some need to go to market to find depth for the Marlies on defense. Kind of a 2 birds with 1 stone scenario.

Now if Rielly could play there, he could get a tonne if ice time, perhaps be the leader of the group. Oh well ...

Terrence

Aug 3, 2010
Mostly unimpressive.. But does he look out of place? Is he playing a lot? Would he still be in the lineup if he wasn't Morgan Rielly?

No. 2nd pairing and 1st PP. Yes.

Percy looked real good with the marlies last year. He should be a big boost to the blue line.

Biggs and leivo can also make an impact if they play.

IMO, it'll be hard for Percy to get into the lineup as well. Ranger-Blacker, Rielly-Holzer, Marshall-Komi is a really solid d-core and the Marlies have been playing well. Not to mention Gysbers, Yeo, and MacWilliam in the mix. It'll probably take an injury or a bit of a losing skid for Percy to see some ice-time.

Biggs and Leivo will probably battle with guys like Ryan and Carrick for ice.

Or we could also see Eakins rest up some vets who may be banged up so they're 100% for playoffs and the youngsters would get those spots.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

Biggs, Leivo and Percy are all 20 this year so they should all be playing for the Marlies 2013-2014 season.

They really don't need to show anything unlike Rielly who is NHL or CHL next season.

If any of those 3 above are back for an overage year it wouldn't be a good indicator.

GoodNewfieBoy

We got a guy
Oct 17, 2007
Calgary
Everyone freaking out about players and they don't even watch the games tsk tsk.

I said it about Kadri, and I'll say it about Reilly, he is gonna be special. You can tell he is a class above. He was a couple of bounces from having like 3 points last night. He's just a gorgeous skater and passer. One thing he needs to work on is his shot. If he had a good shot he would be so elite.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
No. 2nd pairing and 1st PP. Yes.

IMO, it'll be hard for Percy to get into the lineup as well. Ranger-Blacker, Rielly-Holzer, Marshall-Komi is a really solid d-core and the Marlies have been playing well. Not to mention Gysbers, Yeo, and MacWilliam in the mix. It'll probably take an injury or a bit of a losing skid for Percy to see some ice-time.

Or we could also see Eakins rest up some vets who may be banged up so they're 100% for playoffs and the youngsters would get those spots.

Agreed. And thats the way it should be.

Ranger, Holzer, and Marshall are elite AHL players, who have all played in the NHL, and will do so for sure in the future. Blacker is becoming a seasoned AHL vet, who is nearing an NHL level, and Komisarek is like Connolly. An NHL level player, bad contract, high expectations and low confidence.

As for Biggs and Leivo, if we have learned nothing from Ross and McKegg its that these guys arent necessarily AHL calibre players right away, but they need time to spend around these pro guys and adjust to the speed. Biggs might be able to contribute because he brings a different skill-set, but its nothing really the Marlies dont already have

Our Marlie team is real strong. And when Hamilton, and Colborne come back it will get even better

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
8 games is a really small sample size to judge Reilly on, I mean a couple of bounces and his stats would look a lot different. Better to give him the rest of the regular season and playoffs before we start to talk about where he'll play next year.

Also, this being his first year back from major knee surgery, I wonder if fatigue is an issue at this point? Just speculation as I haven't seen him play with the Marlies.

SmoulderingGoodTime

Apr 5, 2013
Morgan Rielly has 27 shots in 8 games. That is a higher shot rate than Gardiner had in the AHL. It's about the same rate that Kessel shoots at in the NHL (and Kessel usually is among the league leaders in shots). I don't think he's had a game with fewer than 3 shots. His offense is there and he gets scoring chances, but his shooting percentage is sitting at 3.7% Pucks will start going in for him. Typical shooting % for a defenseman in the NHL is 6-7. He's just getting unlucky.

Obviously shooting volume isn't everything, but you can't shoot the puck from your own end. He doesn't seem to spend much time there. Part of this might be sheltered minutes (don't really know if that's the case), but part of it is how good he is at handling the opposing forecheck and making good breakout passes.

In the couple games I've seen, his defensive issues are similar to Kadri's. That is, he's a good defensive player who's good at puck recovery and puck control, but he needs to pick his offensive spots a little better.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
8 games is a really small sample size to judge Reilly on, I mean a couple of bounces and his stats would look a lot different. Better to give him the rest of the regular season and playoffs before we start to talk about where he'll play next year.

I think we have to ignore the stats right now, the real test is whether he is able to learn and improve. It would almost be a bad sign if he *weren't* making mistakes playing against pros, as it would suggest he was playing too timid, instead of pushing the limits to see what he can and can't get away with at that level. I don't want him to change his game and start firing the puck out off the glass every time he touches it just to make the NHL sooner.

Also, this being his first year back from major knee surgery, I wonder if fatigue is an issue at this point? Just speculation as I haven't seen him play with the Marlies.

He's paired with Holzer, that should explain a lot. :laugh:

snizzbone*

Sparks starting for the Marlies today.

EXPECTED MARLIES LINEUP

IN GOAL: #31 Garret Sparks

FOWARD LINES
Ross – Connolly – Zigomanis
D’Amigo – Acton – Scott
Abbott – McKegg – Lasch
Broll – Carrick – Ryan

DEFENSIVE PAIRINGS
Rielly – Holzer