OT: 118th Obsequious Banter Thread: February is the month of food days

What are your favorite food(s) celebrated by a special day in February? (Choose up to three)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Here's someone breaking down the supposed power failure

Somewhere an insurance company is probably all marching to the roof of their building right now.

Some ships still have a boiler and steam turbine to generate power while starting up, during maintenance, or as backup when entering and leaving port. I wonder what the arrangement of this ship is. Of course if the problem was at the switchboard I'd bet none of that would matter.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008

Thread from my buddy Andrew on what happened with the ship. He used to work in the field.

Here's someone breaking down the supposed power failure

There is zero evidence whatsoever this was a cyber attack. This man is a loon.

(I know you only meant the video, but the dipshit is in his own replies spreading that nonsense.)

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014

Thread from my buddy Andrew on what happened with the ship. He used to work in the field.

(I know you only meant the video, but the dipshit is in his own replies spreading that nonsense.)

I didn't even look at the rest of the nonsense he posted. Was at the gym and just saw the breakdown. I threw the word supposed in there on my own accord, not knowing if that's what we were witnessing or not

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
You’d have to like time it perfectly to willingly cut the power & have it ram directly into a support beam like that.

It’s like the 9/11 loons. Why jump through all those hoops where there’s opportunities for it to be foiled (hell one of the planes did get downed by the crew/passengers showing just that risk) than just getting straight after it if you purposely wanted it to happen.

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I’m no architect or anything so perhaps I’m just wrong because it is a very extended bridge. But the pillars didn’t really seem to have much barrier to it/them.

Also beyond me, but the port was handling much smaller ships when the bridge was built. I'm interesting in seeing what the NTSB has to say about that. Of course, I'm also not even sure you can make an effective barrier that those ships don't go over or through.

Reactions: LegionOfDoom91

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Also beyond me, but the port was handling much smaller ships when the bridge was built. I'm interesting in seeing what the NTSB has to say about that. Of course, I'm also not even sure you can make an effective barrier that those ships don't go over or through.

So I just read up on it. It seems this bridge is old enough to where fortifying the pillars with extra protection wasn’t common. It’s apparently now standard when building bridges today & very likely will be with this replacement.

It looks like it’s akin to like a water barrel system on a highway. They surround the pillar with concrete like speed bumps that accomplish the same goal of softing up damage & slowing down the moving ship.

Reactions: Chicken N Raffls

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
So I just read up on it. It seems this bridge is old enough to where fortifying the pillars with extra protection wasn’t common. It’s apparently now standard when building bridges today & very likely will be with this replacement.

It looks like it’s akin to like a water barrel system on a highway. They surround the pillar with concrete like speed bumps that accomplish the same goal of softing up damage & slowing down the moving ship.
Was reading up on that earlier. Looks like the law, requiring bridges to be built with the pillars, went into effect a few years after the bridge was built. If you look at the pictures, you'll see there are pillars protecting the electrical wires just prior to the bridge, but not the bridge itself. Crazy to think that they weren't required to add them in after the fact, or once they started dealing with ships of that size.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire

Tragic events like this are always going to bring out the conspiracy theory nutjobs. It’s the society we live in sadly.

Reactions: Chicken N Raffls

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

Our city(Halifax, NS) is a major port for Canada on the East coast. Here is a pic of our bridge and you can see that it has a barrier to help stop a ship should something like this happen.
Screenshot_20240326-181915_Samsung Internet.jpg

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
Our city(Halifax, NS) is a major port for Canada on the East coast. Here is a pic of our bridge and you can see that it has a barrier to help stop a ship should something like this happen.
View attachment 841745
I mean, even if a ship took out that bridge it would still only be the second worst boat-related disaster to happen in Halifax.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
@Chinatown88 So in PoE, there’s a relatively rare drop that contains a random custom map for you to run. There are 3,000+ versions of them, all created by an individual person who bought a high dollar supporter pack. Last night, I opened SingSing’s. I didn’t even know he played PoE.

Reactions: Chinatown88

Chinatown88

Daniels QB3
Jan 17, 2012
The Universe
@Chinatown88 So in PoE, there’s a relatively rare drop that contains a random custom map for you to run. There are 3,000+ versions of them, all created by an individual person who bought a high dollar supporter pack. Last night, I opened SingSing’s. I didn’t even know he played PoE.
MY FORMER PROFESSIONAL DOTA 2 PLAYER. FeelsStrongMan

He like goes ham every big patch and co streams the official reveals and stuff. He's a variety guy now.

Edit: Solak mocked the Ravens taking Kingsley in the latest episode of NFL Stock Exchange. That doesn't change anything with his punchable face.

• Haha
Reactions: JojoTheWhale

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
Looks like my employment is secured, but it's going to take at least several days for everything to be finalized and signed off on. But they're also apparently working on allowing those of us remaining to get paid in the interim as well.

Yesterday we literally just turned in our badges and left. A bunch of us went out to breakfast. It was nice to hang out one last time. A group of 15 of us are going to the Hershey Bears game on April 12 so I'm really looking forward to that. Even though I'm connected with most of my work friends via social media and the like, it's obviously not the same as seeing them every day. I mean it when I say I never made better friends in my life than the crew I worked with here. Hoping we can still meet up every now and then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino