OT: 118th Obsequious Banter Thread: February is the month of food days

What are your favorite food(s) celebrated by a special day in February? (Choose up to three)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
There was a guy at Library of Congress who is retired now, but prior to his retirement he basically singlehandedly kept typewriting alive in the agency. He was so unwilling or unable to learn PCs, yet had to much institutional knowledge, that they just shat all over efficiency to accommodate him. They had to maintain supply contracts of typewriter ribbon just for this guy, which is not efficient. He would typewrite stuff and then someone else would scan and email them because nobody wanted to get faxes. One of my friend's duties was making all this happen. She'd print off his emails to read, he'd type replies, she'd get them sent along.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
I remember the yahoo messenger chat rooms. Used to hang out in the NHL ones. It was clown central many nights
The Aol ones were fun. I used to get booted by the moderators sometimes. I went into one computers chat room once (circa 1998) and this dude used to harass people and say they didn't know what they were talking about, Mac computers sucked etc and bragged how he worked for Compaq computers. I started razzing him back and said he worked for "Fudgepaq" bc he was anal retentive. I got a lot of lol's but then got booted after some back and forth. The booted sound was kind of funny. It was fun back then...wild wild west of technology. Kind of like A.I. now.

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
The Aol ones were fun. I used to get booted by the moderators sometimes. I went into one computers chat room once (circa 1998) and this dude used to harass people and say they didn't know what they were talking about, Mac computers sucked etc and bragged how he worked for Compaq computers. I started razzing him back and said he worked for "Fudgepaq" bc he was anal retentive. I got a lot of lol's but then got booted after some back and forth. The booted sound was kind of funny. It was fun back then...wild wild west of technology. Kind of like A.I. now.

I remember all the sysop power trips on mIRC and BBSes. I swear that title was a license to be a d*ck.

Just like the linux/unix community early on. The number of times some smug user would just type out RTFM was cringey. So many gatekeepers!

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
I remember all the sysop power trips on mIRC and BBSes. I swear that title was a license to be a d*ck.

Just like the linux/unix community early on. The number of times some smug user would just type out RTFM was cringey. So many gatekeepers!

Those people grew up and became technical middle management.

Related: I do not missing being in corporate InfoSec. :laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: flyersnorth

BackToTheBrierePatch

Justice for Cricket
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
The yahoo ones were unmoderated so you could say just about anything

Kermit the Prog

Threadkiller
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Greenville, DE
We need to step up our posting to get to 1,000 for this thread. February is in the title and we're about to head into April and I cannot live unless I know other posters' food preferences.

Chicken N Raffls

Here for the chaos and lolz
Nov 7, 2022
Douglassville
We need to step up our posting to get to 1,000 for this thread. February is in the title and we're about to head into April and I cannot live unless I know other posters' food preferences.

Pizza is the GOAT.

RE:chat rooms
I came to the internet fairly late in life, for my age, but I will never forget one of my first experiences with that. I went to visit a buddy in college. We're sitting in his dorm room with a couple of his friends just being assholes. I don't even remember how it all went down, but he was talking to some woman, then made a new username who started bashing his original one. The woman actually started defending his original one. I had never seen anything like that. She eventually sent a pic to his original name. It wasn't a flattering IG pic, and the comments we made (not online) were also not. At age 21, we all got a kick out of it. Now? I'll never not believe the anonymity of the internet is the easiest way to bring the worst out of people. Such a double edged sword

BackToTheBrierePatch

Justice for Cricket
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Spring

Attachments

• IMG_0693.jpeg
    IMG_0693.jpeg
    318.6 KB · Views: 2
  • Wow
Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos
Status