OT: 118th Obsequious Banter Thread: February is the month of food days

What are your favorite food(s) celebrated by a special day in February? (Choose up to three)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Hi

Btw: Yasso frozen yogurt bars are the shit ....especially coffee chocolate chip!

Last edited:

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
Nothing hammers home the weirdness of that film like making a neophyte watch it, and then observing their reactions
I saw that movie pretty young and remember it as a masterpiece. Another one with mixed reactions that I loved after seeing it around the same age was The Abyss. Both overdue for a rewatch.

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
The Battle of Algiers is a great movie

Makes you understand how futile it is to combat a resistance to occupation or counterinsurgency with a military "solution" only.....

Last edited:

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Going back to bef's ramblings in the previous thread, Lawrence of Arabia is a crowning triumph of cinema and should be mandatory viewing for all humans. I really want to see it on a big screen one day.

TCM often does things deliberately, and I'm pretty sure Lawrence following by Close Encounters was deliberate. Spielberg has stated Lawrence of Arabia is what made him want to be a director, so that set up a nice "This caused that."

Reactions: Jack Straw

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
Anyone see this Sports Illustrated stuff? Pour one out lol

The publisher terminated its licensing agreement with SI's parent company and now is going to lay off "most if not all" of SI's employees.

o7

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
Anyone see this Sports Illustrated stuff? Pour one out lol

The publisher terminated its licensing agreement with SI's parent company and now is going to lay off "most of not all" of SI's employees.

o7

Sucks for the employees. I don't think i've read an SI since i was in 4th grade.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Yeah I mean, without sounding cold hearted....what even is a magazine? I'm surprised they've lasted this long tbh

Their website was a few good writers and some absolute disasters. But the point is that it was so far above everything else for long form pieces that it should have been impossible to fail this quickly.

Rick Reilly is possibly my least favorite person to ever write about sports, so this is far from a personal preferences thing. The lament is over what was lost years ago. It’s not the magazine. It’s the ritual gutting of the premier sports writing institution for no reason beyond a VC firm making a few more bucks.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
Their website was a few good writers and some absolute disasters. But the point is that it was so far above everything else for long form pieces that it should have been impossible to fail this quickly.

Rick Reilly is possibly my least favorite person to ever write about sports, so this is far from a personal preferences thing. The lament is over what was lost years ago. It’s not the magazine. It’s the ritual gutting of the premier sports writing institution for no reason beyond a VC firm making a few more bucks.
That's true, it is crazy that it nosedived so hard so fast. Not just in quality but in prestige. They're nowhere near what they were in that regard. Haven't been for 15 years it seems like

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad