OT: 118th Obsequious Banter Thread: February is the month of food days

What are your favorite food(s) celebrated by a special day in February? (Choose up to three)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
@JojoTheWhale @LegionOfDoom91

Check out the list of announcers the last time Purdue was in the Final Four (and Louisville were national champs!)

Announcers​

• Dick Enberg, Billy Packer, and Al McGuire – Mideast Regional Final at Lexington, Kentucky; Midwest Regional Final at Houston, Texas; Final Four at Indianapolis, Indiana
  • Don Criqui and Gary Thompson – East Regional Final at Philadelphia, Pennsylvania; West Regional Final at Tucson, Arizona
  • Bill O'Donnell and Bucky Waters – East Regional semifinals at Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
  • Fred White and Larry Conley – Mideast Regional semifinals at Lexington, Kentucky
  • Jay Randolph and Jeff Mullins – Midwest Regional semifinals at Houston, Texas
  • Dick Enberg and Al McGuire – second round at Lincoln, Nebraska (Louisville–Kansas State, Notre Dame–Missouri); Second Round at Tempe, Arizona (DePaul–UCLA, Ohio State–Arizona State)
  • Don Criqui and Billy Packer – second round at West Lafayette, Indiana (St. John's–Purdue, Duke–Pennsylvania); Second Round at Bowling Green, Kentucky (Indiana–Virginia Tech, Kentucky–Florida State)
  • Merle Harmon and Joe Dean – second round at Greensboro, North Carolina (North Carolina State–Iowa, Maryland–Tennessee)
  • Bob Costas and Bucky Waters – second round at Providence, Rhode Island (Georgetown–Iona, Syracuse–Villanova)
  • Charlie Jones and Lynn Shackelford – second round at Ogden, Utah (Brigham Young–Clemson, Oregon State–Lamar)
  • Jay Randolph and Gary Thompson – first round at Lincoln, Nebraska (Kansas State–Arkansas, Missouri–San Jose State); Second Round at Denton, Texas (LSU–Alcorn State, North Carolina–Texas A&M)

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
@JojoTheWhale @LegionOfDoom91

Check out the list of announcers the last time Purdue was in the Final Four (and Louisville were national champs!)

Announcers​

• Dick Enberg, Billy Packer, and Al McGuire – Mideast Regional Final at Lexington, Kentucky; Midwest Regional Final at Houston, Texas; Final Four at Indianapolis, Indiana
  • Don Criqui and Gary Thompson – East Regional Final at Philadelphia, Pennsylvania; West Regional Final at Tucson, Arizona
  • Bill O'Donnell and Bucky Waters – East Regional semifinals at Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
  • Fred White and Larry Conley – Mideast Regional semifinals at Lexington, Kentucky
  • Jay Randolph and Jeff Mullins – Midwest Regional semifinals at Houston, Texas
  • Dick Enberg and Al McGuire – second round at Lincoln, Nebraska (Louisville–Kansas State, Notre Dame–Missouri); Second Round at Tempe, Arizona (DePaul–UCLA, Ohio State–Arizona State)
  • Don Criqui and Billy Packer – second round at West Lafayette, Indiana (St. John's–Purdue, Duke–Pennsylvania); Second Round at Bowling Green, Kentucky (Indiana–Virginia Tech, Kentucky–Florida State)
  • Merle Harmon and Joe Dean – second round at Greensboro, North Carolina (North Carolina State–Iowa, Maryland–Tennessee)
  • Bob Costas and Bucky Waters – second round at Providence, Rhode Island (Georgetown–Iona, Syracuse–Villanova)
  • Charlie Jones and Lynn Shackelford – second round at Ogden, Utah (Brigham Young–Clemson, Oregon State–Lamar)
  • Jay Randolph and Gary Thompson – first round at Lincoln, Nebraska (Kansas State–Arkansas, Missouri–San Jose State); Second Round at Denton, Texas (LSU–Alcorn State, North Carolina–Texas A&M)

What a list. Don Criqui is one of those voices you didn't know you knew. He called NFL games from the 60s all the way up until the 2010s. I believe he was one of the announcers for the Miracle at the Meadowlands. But what I always think of is this:

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
What a list. Don Criqui is one of those voices you didn't know you knew. He called NFL games from the 60s all the way up until the 2010s. I believe he was one of the announcers for the Miracle at the Meadowlands. But what I always think of is this:

Don Criqui and Charlie Jones were both great. I guess that pretty much dates me.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
"His feet were moving, but he was still in position."

Uh ..... what?

He was awesome - he did the AFC games on NBC forever, along with Dick Enberg, Charlie Jones. Merlin Olsen, etc. I also remember him doing a shitload of Yankees games for NBC - I distinctly remember him calling Graig Nettles a bunch of times.

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Spring started a week and a half ago but we are getting another snowstorm the middle of the week.
Hey, you asked about Cuba in the GDT but it closed before I could respond. On vacation. I will think about the snow....or maybe be not.
Messenger_creation_ed9a8eab-4d34-44e9-8142-ff48ad8850b7.jpeg

Messenger_creation_0f2208ff-0d4e-4e2e-9a0b-2095c37ec8b7.jpeg
Messenger_creation_dc1f048b-d017-4d9c-975e-06f48fa8d3f2.jpeg

ellja3

May 19, 2014
Ķekava, Latvia
Had 2 (out of 4) thyroid glands removed 2wks ago, just got home from hospital.

PSA: if you have fatigue + other weird symptoms get checked and chase every suspicious bloodwork result instead of resorting to ''well of course my knees/back hurt after years of playing assymetric sports and turning 30'' and ''clearly the thirst is from all the beer and salty food'' until it gets realllllyy bad.

[Flyers latest performances are not helping the recovery process]

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Well...

got approval from work fully for the trip to Baltimore and New York in May.

So will be crossing the pond for the first time.

Pretty cool event in Baltimore. Greg Olsen is the Emcee.

Cal Ripken jr and Torrey Smith will be two of the speakers... will be hard not to try and collar Torrey and ask to see his ring.

I'm assuming it's in the inner harbor area of Baltimore?

Kermit the Prog

Threadkiller
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Greenville, DE
Well...

got approval from work fully for the trip to Baltimore and New York in May.

So will be crossing the pond for the first time.

Pretty cool event in Baltimore. Greg Olsen is the Emcee.

Cal Ripken jr and Torrey Smith will be two of the speakers... will be hard not to try and collar Torrey and ask to see his ring.

Having a lot of experience in this area, athletes are almost categorically accommodating in showing you their championship rings. From everything I know about Smith, he's a great guy, too.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I recommend staying around that general area. I used to go to the convention center there every summer for like 10 years.

Only going to be 2 nights before off to New York. But yeh, seems like a lot to do there!

This year is shaping up to be potentially a crazy one in terms of work travel...

a chance I will be going to Manaus in the Amazon in September.

The most interesting work trip I had before this year was probably to Croatia years ago or Madrid 2x last year... 90% of trips are Belgium, Netherlands or the UK aha.

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Been to it once and if Otakon was still in Baltimore, I would go more often, but if you want really good Ramen from somewhere (if you're in the mood for it), there's a place called Kippo Ramen. It's south of JH and east of the Inner Harbor.

Also, last time I was in Baltimore, it had a bit of a garbage smell :laugh:.

Outside of being to Canada before 9/11, I've been to no other country. Going overseas though in July for 3 weeks.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Been to it once and if Otakon was still in Baltimore, I would go more often, but if you want really good Ramen from somewhere (if you're in the mood for it), there's a place called Kippo Ramen. It's south of JH and east of the Inner Harbor.

Also, last time I was in Baltimore, it had a bit of a garbage smell :laugh:.

Outside of being to Canada before 9/11, I've been to no other country. Going overseas though in July for 3 weeks.

I do love a good Ramen aha!

Berlin is one of my fave cities and it smells like rotten eggs half of the time aha.

I travel a lot. But 90% of my travel has been inside Europe... been to a 25/27 EU nations now (Bulgaria and Latvia outstanding).

But when it comes to going outside Europe? My list is Morocco, Turkey, Sao Tome and Israel... still cool ofc, but a trip like this one really gets me excited. Which is rare these days when it comes to work trips!

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
I do love a good Ramen aha!

Berlin is one of my fave cities and it smells like rotten eggs half of the time aha.

I travel a lot. But 90% of my travel has been inside Europe... been to a 25/27 EU nations now (Bulgaria and Latvia outstanding).

But when it comes to going outside Europe? My list is Morocco, Turkey, Sao Tome and Israel... still cool ofc, but a trip like this one really gets me excited. Which is rare these days when it comes to work trips!

My work allows me to travel every so often, generally around the US, so it's kind of nice to see different places. However, not so much internationally or even too much to Canada, even though we have businesses there too. New Orleans was one of the more memorable places I went. That was fun.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
My work allows me to travel every so often, generally around the US, so it's kind of nice to see different places. However, not so much internationally or even too much to Canada, even though we have businesses there too. New Orleans was one of the more memorable places I went. That was fun.

New Orleans has always been very high on my list of North American cities to visit!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad