OT: 118th Obsequious Banter Thread: February is the month of food days

What are your favorite food(s) celebrated by a special day in February? (Choose up to three)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I was watching some Pacific War in color thing yesterday. The Child noticed they were talking about fighting Japan. She surprised me by going 'oh, this must be the time Japan attacked Hawaii." We discussed WW2 and that included explaining why it's called WW2.

Child: "I'm going to start World War 3"
Me: "uh no that would be bad."
Child: "But I'm going to win"

Kermit the Prog

Threadkiller
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Greenville, DE
I was watching some Pacific War in color thing yesterday. The Child noticed they were talking about fighting Japan. She surprised me by going 'oh, this must be the time Japan attacked Hawaii." We discussed WW2 and that included explaining why it's called WW2.

I'll take that bet and lay the points. Kid has her mojo working.

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh

you are just gonna be the first incident in ww3...it was good knowing you and your positive patrol self

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
So i am at work the other day..old dude comes and asks" When does this expire?" So I looked at him like he was a f***ing idiot..because well..it was dishwashing detergent...So I kinda stared and blinked at him after a long moment and said.."I do not know..it doesn't say on the package" when in he asks me all sorts of other questions that more or less were around when does it expires...after a moment I walked away

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
So i am at work the other day..old dude comes and asks" When does this expire?" So I looked at him like he was a f***ing idiot..because well..it was dishwashing detergent...So I kinda stared and blinked at him after a long moment and said.."I do not know..it doesn't say on the package" when in he asks me all sorts of other questions that more or less were around when does it expires...after a moment I walked away
Since he was old and senile...the proper retort for a person like this was to ask him when will he "expire"

Well that is mean and we will all be "there" I suppose although I would hope I don't exhibit dementia like maybe this guy had....

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
Now that I'm 35, I'm doing what 35 years old do and watching long ass documentaries about WWI and WWII. I knew how bad those wars were. I read above and beyond what most of my peers did. But my lord, it was so much worse than even imaginable. I now find it 20 times worse than I could have even imagined 3 months ago, and is probably 20 times worse than I can imagine now.

Also shocked by how absolutely little the emperor of Japan during that time frame did. he was worse than "merely a figurehead." I'm pretty certain I did more in WWII and I wasn't even born for another 50+ years

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
Now that I'm 35, I'm doing what 35 years old do and watching long ass documentaries about WWI and WWII. I knew how bad those wars were. I read above and beyond what most of my peers did. But my lord, it was so much worse than even imaginable. I now find it 20 times worse than I could have even imagined 3 months ago, and is probably 20 times worse than I can imagine now.

Also shocked by how absolutely little the emperor of Japan during that time frame did. he was worse than "merely a figurehead." I'm pretty certain I did more in WWII and I wasn't even born for another 50+ years
Watch this:

And if you are into reading things, read this:

1706017239014.jpeg

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
Precisely why I am not a thrill seeker

Most thrill rides are designed with multiple fail safes and also the cables if they use them (SlingShot and SkyCoasters for reference) are rated for about 3-4x the weight that they allow on the rides.

Now launched coasters (Kingda Ka, Storm Runner, and the old Top Thrill Dragster) could all snap a cable and end operations until it is replaced.....

Reactions: Embiid

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
Absolutely! Thank you!
Honestly, Drachinifel’s whole channel is worth checking out. He focuses on naval warfare, ranging from Ancient Rome to the current day, but most of his stuff is Ww1/2 related.

He’s probably the best channel on YouTube. No bullshit ad reads or sponsors. He doesn’t waste time telling you to like comment subscribe and turn on notifications. A 30 minute video will have 30 minutes if content. He’s also low key funny as hell.

Reactions: trostol

ellja3

May 19, 2014
Ķekava, Latvia

Back in uni I wrote paper re: whether Hiroshima bombing was ethically justified. Read tons of material/books. Bolded - indeed absolutely stunning.

Reactions: Sombastate

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

Yeah there's been so much glorification over the decades that it really gets lost how ridiculously terrible it all was.

I mean, WW1 is often considered the gold standard for wartime misery but WW2 was actually way, way, way worse.

Reactions: Sombastate

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
Yeah there's been so much glorification over the decades that it really gets lost how ridiculously terrible it all was.

I mean, WW1 is often considered the gold standard for wartime misery but WW2 was actually way, way, way worse.
That's the insane part. WWI was the most horrific thing I've ever seen. people's entire job was to go to barbed wire with sheers and get two or three cuts in before they died and they knew that was their job. it was suicide and they knew it.

Couldn't imagine anything worse than that. And then you get WW2 which was somehow astronomically worse

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
That's the insane part. WWI was the most horrific thing I've ever seen. people's entire job was to go to barbed wire with sheers and get two or three cuts in before they died and they knew that was their job. it was suicide and they knew it.

Couldn't imagine anything worse than that. And then you get WW2 which was somehow astronomically worse

Have you come across Unit 731 yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad