OT: 118th Obsequious Banter Thread: February is the month of food days

What are your favorite food(s) celebrated by a special day in February? (Choose up to three)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

ajgoal

Almost always never serious
Jun 29, 2015
Bread is actually underrated. Nobody but me actually understands the depths of bread's benevolent goodness
This stuff is awesome. You don't know how good bread can be until you're walking back out of a dark alley with a loaf from this place in your hands.

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Bread is actually underrated. Nobody but me actually understands the depths of bread's benevolent goodness
I always judge an Italian restaurant by their bread. While I don't expect the same quality as in Italy.....if your bread has the consistency of a doughy cloud and produces zero crumbs ....your license and Italian card should be revoked!

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I always judge an Italian restaurant by their bread. While I don't expect the same quality as in Italy.....if your bread has the consistency of a doughy cloud and produces zero crumbs ....your license and Italian card should be revoked!

It's also downright ridiculous how good real, high quality olive oil from the Med is compared to the pig juice you get in stores here.

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
It's also downright ridiculous how good real, high quality olive oil from the Med is compared to the pig juice you get in stores here.
It is such garbage. I love the ones where it is mixed with olives from all corners of the globe. Most of them are fake. My bike chain's oil is more pure...

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
It is such garbage. I love the ones where it is mixed with olives from all corners of the globe. Most of them are fake. My bike chain's oil is more pure...

I have an imported bottle and I'm afraid to open it. I don't want it to go away.

There is an olive oil store near me and their oil is OK. Good by the standards here. They have a balsamic vinegar that is fantastic, at least.

Reactions: Embiid

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
It's funny. I can pine for the meats, meat products, cheeses, and oils of the Old World. And think we have such trash here.

And yet I've talked with a few people from abroad who, after staying here, admire and miss our unlimited variety of shitty snack foods and condiments.

• Wow
Reactions: Rebels57 and Embiid

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
It's funny. I can pine for the meats, meat products, cheeses, and oils of the Old World. And think we have such trash here.

And yet I've talked with a few people from abroad who, after staying here, admire and miss our unlimited variety of shitty snack foods and condiments.
Good olive oil can be a tough find here without breaking the bank. Balsamics can be equally tough. I go to an Italian importer on 9th street in souf Philly for my Italian products. Place is called Claudios. DiBrunos is overrated and expensive...

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
I accidentally (as opposed to deliberately) broke the carafe for my coffee maker so I'm reduced to drinking... tea, until Amazon comes to the rescue.

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
I accidentally (as opposed to deliberately) broke the carafe for my coffee maker so I'm reduced to drinking... tea, until Amazon comes to the rescue.
giphy.gif

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly

I had to bring yellow mustard with me to France. Not for me, I hate the stuff. Nope, for my French in-laws.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I'm a Keurig guy, because I hate the planet, but I have one on the kitchen and one in the Love Room, so I never have to go without.

I am too, but I love the planet - I use one of those reusable cups. You should try them. The generic ones can f*** up in the Keurigs, but they have one of their own that works:

K Cups

Kermit the Prog

Threadkiller
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Greenville, DE
I am too, but I love the planet - I use one of those reusable cups. You should try them. The generic ones can f*** up in the Keurigs, but they have one of their own that works:

K Cups

I tried using them but, for some reason, it comes out tasting too weak. I tried packing more in and it clogged up. Just couldn't find the sweet spot. I was using Jamaican Blue Mountain, so I didn't want to be wasting good shit.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
Was it.... French's mustard?

Maybe? But ironically they consider it extremely exotic. You might know this already, but it's common in France to use a little dijon mustard as a condiment for grilled and roasted meats. So now you can imagine how said yellow mustard would have been utilized, because they generally don't put mustard on sandwiches, but rather butter or mayo.

So, yep, a dash of yellow mustard with their roast beef.

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Maybe? But ironically they consider it extremely exotic. You might know this already, but it's common in France to use a little dijon mustard as a condiment for grilled and roasted meats. So now you can imagine how said yellow mustard would have been utilized, because they generally don't put mustard on sandwiches, but rather butter or mayo.

So, yep, a dash of yellow mustard with their roast beef.
Mustard as a seasoning for grilling a burger actually works well to keep it from being too dry. Learned it from a Mexican gf back in the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad